Latest estimates place holiday Apple Watch sales at 6M with $2.6B in revenue

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple may have sold as many as 6 million Apple Watches during the December quarter, generating as much as $2.6 billion in revenue -- and giving the company of almost 80 percent of smartwatch revenues during the period, new research suggests.

The units estimate would represent 12 percent growth year-over-year versus calculations for the Dec. 2015 quarter, Canalys said. Apple doesn't release official Watch statistics, and in a results call on Jan. 31 said only that it hit "record" numbers in terms of "both units and revenue."

Apple helped its share by offering a cheaper entry cost with the Series 1, and improved fitness features on the Series 2, Canalys suggested. The Series 2 is fully waterproof with built-in GPS, while a special Nike+ edition comes with a lighter, more breathable band, plus special app integration.

For 2016 overall, Apple is said to have taken 50 percent of the smartwatch market with 11.9 million units. Fitbit allegedly claimed 17 percent of the market -- though it doesn't yet have a "true" watch -- while Samsung hit 15 percent. All other vendors managed a collective 19 percent.

Canalys' December-quarter estimates differ significantly from ones by Strategy Analytics, which put the Apple Watch at 5.2 million units out of 8.2 million smartwatches overall. Canalys numbers peg the industry at 9 million units.

Little is known about Apple's plans for a third-generation Watch, but the company is thought to be working on cellular support, which could let people use the device independently of an iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    The Wall street BSR use a crystal ball odds are 1 in 99...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    sog35 said:
    That's more revenue than the entire Amazon echo sales FOR THREE YEARS.

Yet the tech media and Wall street bullshitters are saying the Echo is an amazing success, while the Watch is a failure.

I thought I read somewhere that Amazon was selling the Echo at a loss, or if not, they were breaking even on it? That being said its amazing how people overlook what Apple actually does and how well they're really doing. Sure were not having original iPhone type announcements every year, but that simply isn't going to happen. 
    edited February 2017 radarthekatcornchipwatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 3 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    sog35 said:

Yet the tech media and Wall street bullshitters are saying the Echo is an amazing success, while the Watch is a failure.
    this is a good point. Echo is lauded as a major success but we know almost nothing about it -- how much they're margin is, how many they sell, etc.. 
    lostkiwiwatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Who cares what some Wall Street firm thinks Watch sales might be. They have no idea and certainly have no idea of mix so coming up with an average selling price to estimate revenues is silly. I really wish rumor sites would stop publishing this crap.
    tmay
  • Reply 5 of 14
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    I purchased one for my daughter for Christmas and she loves it and uses it all the time...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    sog35 said:

this is a good point. Echo is lauded as a major success but we know almost nothing about it -- how much they're margin is, how many they sell, etc.. 

there is no margin, just look at Amazons 10K the barely making money, if you had actual operating margins you would have actual profits. Wall Street does not like companies with profits, only those loosing money who claim to have great (to steal a Trump word) market share.
    watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 14
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    No one but Apple knows for sure.  Some bright Apple analysts / bloggers like Neil Cybart and Horace Dediu, who have built and maintained detailed models of Apples financials for years, have estimated about 5.4 and 5.5M units respectively. I am going with their guesses.  Estimates for cumulative units sold in low 20s M. 

Either way, it is good to see Apple Watch gain momentum. It will take until gen 4 to break out into the mainstream IMO. It takes both time for the product to become widely known, and to have expanded functionality to appeal to the broader market.  It will take cellular connectivity, battery to support always on watch face, and expanded health functionality to move from interesting to something many will feel they see the value in. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Would love to see profit numbers for the much derided Apple Watch versus the much applauded Google Pixel phone.  I'd bet a large sum Watch makes more profit.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:

I thought I read somewhere that Amazon was selling the Echo at a loss, or if not, they were breaking even on it? That being said its amazing how people overlook what Apple actually does and how well they're really doing. Sure were not having original iPhone type announcements every year, but that simply isn't going to happen. 
    Amazon always sells stuff cheap.   I'm sure it is with the Echo.   If Apple is going to take on the Echo (which works great for me) they need to go high end.
    This of course means better microphones and speakers and a greatly upgraded SIRI.   And that will probably cost much more than the Echo-its to be expected.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member

Would love to see profit numbers for the much derided Apple Watch versus the much applauded Google Pixel phone.  I'd bet a large sum Watch makes more profit.
    If the pixel was doing good Google would have announced it in their quarterly report.    Must be a big bomb even with the NOTE7 going up in flames and being pulled last year.
    Google made a mistake making a phone just for Verizon.   Google has a long, long way to go to actually build up a product line and sell it.

watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 11 of 14
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    I love my 42mm Apple Watch Series 2, Space Black Stainless Steel Case with Milanese Loop Strap. I wear it from wake up to bed time, office, home, gym, running, swimming, even a 10km Spartan Race (but I did cover it with a sweatband), I even shower with it sometimes. At home my iPhone now goes onto the charging station as soon as I get home. My main wish is cellular connectivity, no need for "always on" IMHO.
    watto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Who cares what some Wall Street firm thinks Watch sales might be. They have no idea and certainly have no idea of mix so coming up with an average selling price to estimate revenues is silly. I really wish rumor sites would stop publishing this crap.
    If "rumour sites" only posted facts then they wouldn't be "rumours"  ;) 
  • Reply 13 of 14
    adm1 said:
    If "rumour sites" only posted facts then they wouldn't be "rumours"  ;) 
    There's a difference between posting a rumor about what the new iPhone is going to look like and a Wall Street analyst estimating sales of a product. Thr latter is not a rumor. People can bill all the sophisticated models they want; they don't have sales data from Apple online or B&M stores so their models are useless.