PowerColor's Thunderbolt 3 Devil Box is the easiest way to get an external GPU on the MacB...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I hope someone with some industrial design expertise runs with this idea. I want an eGPU, and given the price of docks, having an all-in-one eGPU/dock (ports) is ideal. But, this thing isn't something I'd probably want on my desk. Heh, maybe one could rip the contents out and craft it into another case, or a dead Mac Pro cylinder? :) I'd like it to be a bit quiet and not be an eye-sore. That said, I'm really, really interested, I'd just like a better execution on the concept.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    Using a 2016 13" MB Pro I installedthe new Sonnet SE I TB3 (releases last week) and install Gigabyte RX460. I had to remove the fan to get it to fit. After 3 days of heavy use with financial apps and Windows using Parallels 12 on (2) LG TB2 34" LG34UC88 business class monitors 21:9  - its running like a champ. No problems loading the kext file and its is supported in Sierra. If anyone Intrested in trying this you can find the script is on github by "goalque" 

FyI - the fan  in Sonnet SEI TB3 is ultra quiet and thermo controlled. I can barely hear running it on my desk more than does the job. 
    cgWerks
  • Reply 43 of 45
    azsundvl said:
    Using a 2016 13" MB Pro I installedthe new Sonnet SE I TB3 (releases last week) and install Gigabyte RX460. I had to remove the fan to get it to fit. After 3 days of heavy use with financial apps and Windows using Parallels 12 on (2) LG TB2 34" LG34UC88 business class monitors 21:9  - its running like a champ. No problems loading the kext file and its is supported in Sierra. If anyone Intrested in trying this you can find the script is on github by "goalque" 

FyI - the fan  in Sonnet SEI TB3 is ultra quiet and thermo controlled. I can barely hear running it on my desk more than does the job. 
    There was a 9to5mac article that demonstrated using the Akitio Thunder3 as an eGPU enclosure, but they had to upgrade the power supply from 60W to 120W. This provided the 75W needed to power the card through the PCIe slot to run a GTX 1050.  Since the Sonnet SE I also comes with a 60W power supply,I'm curious if this is something you had to do, and if not, why it works at all. 

Also, I was wondering if you think the case fan is enough to keep the card cool under gaming loads.  Perhaps the new XFX single slot RX460 would be a better move.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Given that the RX460 draws about 95W, I'd hope they did.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    I was wondering if anyone knows about Villagetronic.com? They make (made) a ViDock that uses the Express Card slot on my MBP 17" late 2011. Unfortunately I only just discovered the company and now it looks like they are no longer actively around. Does anyone know if they are and/or if there is a was to still get an Express Card solution as I'd rather not have to sacrifice my one Thunderbolt v1 port for a device such as this. Any help would be appreciated. I really liked the ViDock as it was a more elegant solution and prettier too with three slots. thx.