AirPods TV commercial took sales of Marian Hill's song 'Down' from 'negligible' to 'magica...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The power of Apple's advertising influencing music sales has come into the spotlight again, with the use of Marian Hill's 'Down' in the first TV advertisement for AirPods revealed to have made a considerable impact on track sales.

After the commercial launched on January 14, Nielsen Music recorded a major increase in downloads for "Down," jumping from "negligible" to 101,000, with it now occupying the 37th spot on the Billboard Hot 100 music chart. For the week ending January 19, sales of the track had increased to 22,000, with the majority in the latter half of the week, with 34,000 sales the following week.

Streams for the song have also jumped, moving from 89,000 in the week before the commercial aired, to more than 1.6 million in the week ending January 19.

Singer Samantha Gongol and keyboardist Jeremy Lloyd thought Apple's history of propelling musical fame, such as when Feist's "1234" was used in an iPod Nano commercial, would help sales, but seemingly underestimated the effect. "You hope for it, but we certainly did not anticipate the degree to which everything has exploded," said Gongol. "We grew up watching those ads."

Republic Records co-founder and president Avery Lipman also noticed the significant uptick in popularity, calling it "magical." For the album, "Act One," sales in the first week after the ad debuted quadrupled the total number of albums sold in the preceding six months.

"Sales prior to this were literally anaemic, with the single maybe moving 100 units a week," said Lipman, adding that the sudden popularity of the group has spilled over into 2015 EP "Sway." Airplay had increased from "literally zero" to 270 by January 26, and recently debuted on pop and alternative airplay charts.

"When Apple gets it right the sky's the limit... and financially speaking we had nothing on the books for this group," claims Lipman, before calling the effect "one of the few unbudgeted windfalls we've had."

The band is also enjoying other elements of sudden popularity, thanks to the commercial. While they reportedly didn't have major plans for 2017 except for developing new music, the pair were booked to perform on The Tonight Show on two day's notice, while a "huge artist" has also apparently expressed interest in a collaboration.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    My God Apple taking over.

With AirPods this is a great year for Apple. 
    andrewj5790watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    "...to more than 1.6 million in the week ending January 19"

This means Marian Hill will soon be receiving a royalty check for $1.60. 
    edited February 2017 stompycaliargonaut
  • Reply 3 of 13
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Those ear pods are so dorky looking.
    boredumb
  • Reply 4 of 13
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

dougd said:

What ear pods?
    Can't be any dorkier than AirPods tethered by long strings into a device. Heck can't be dorkier than ugly headphones attached to wires. 

The funny thing is after seeing air pods and wireless Beats headphones, strings coming out of people's heads looks so outdated. 

andrewj5790radarthekatrandominternetpersonpscooter63macguiwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 5 of 13
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Good for them. It's a catchy song and hook, that works well with the ad.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    dougd said:
    Well, that's like your opinion man. But seriously, they look just fine. Wear them with confidence. these things are so convenient,and work so well most quit worrying about it in no time.
    magman1979macguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    dougd said:
    Thank you for your style critique. But apparently the market loudly and vehemently disagrees with you. 

Now, take your wares elsewhere. 
    magman1979macguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    What about the dancer?  I have no idea who he is or if he was already famous, but has the ad helped his stock too?  It has to, right?  I don't know how you make money as a professional dancer, but this guy "made" the ad.
    boredumbwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    What about the dancer?  I have no idea who he is or if he was already famous, but has the ad helped his stock too?  It has to, right?  I don't know how you make money as a professional dancer, but this guy "made" the ad.
    I think it was a perfect symbiotic relationship between the art and the music. The dancer was very impressive. I hope he too got some traction from the ad.

That was a great ad. I downloaded the song, too. Very nice.

I missed my window on Thursday for some AirPods, but am still hopeful.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    macgui said:
    I think it was a perfect symbiotic relationship between the art and the music. The dancer was very impressive. I hope he too got some traction from the ad.

I missed my window on Thursday for some AirPods, but am still hopeful.
    Agree completely.  The music "made" the ad too, but everyone had already said that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I thought that this was a GREAT commercial, in the same league as the use of Eminem's "Lose Yourself" for the iPod. 

I am not not at all surprised. (I too downloaded the Hill song after watching the commercial). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    macgui said:

Just think how much mainstream press Apple would have gotten, had they premiered the full 1 minute during the Super Bowl. It's a fantastic ad, and unlike some "great" ads, you know exactly what it's selling.

(BTW the dancer is Lil Buck, you can catch his name during the AirPod pairing. It seems this isn't his first Apple commercial.)
    edited February 2017 watto_cobraargonaut