Target denies reports of imminent Apple Pay addition to retail stores

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited February 2017
After a social media post by Target started reports circulating that Apple Pay would be accepted in-store, the company has denied that any effort is in place.

The company is "working on getting this Technology into our stores," a Target customer service representative said on Sunday as a response to a customer "We'll catch up with the 21st century soon!"

However, in a statement made to AppleInsider on Monday, Target denied that there was anything to discuss regarding Apple Pay at this time.

"We have no plans or work underway currently to make Apple Pay available in our stores," said Target in the statement about the posting. "We continue to offer Apple Pay for online purchases in the Target app. And while we are exploring mobile wallet opportunities for our stores, we have no updates on our plans to share at this time.

While people can use Apple Pay for online Target orders, it remains uncertain why the company hasn't made the jump at retail. Many locations have point-of-sale terminals compatible with NFC technology, and the functionality remains shut down.

The company previously indicated it would be "open-minded" about platforms like Apple Pay after upgrading its terminals with chip card support, which it finally accomplished in Oct. 2015. Target announced plans in January to launch its own mobile payment option later in 2017, which might be the primary reason for delaying Apple Pay.

Further adopting Apple's technology might give Target a small advantage over its biggest rival in U.S. retail, Walmart. The latter has deliberately avoided third-party mobile platforms in favor of Walmart Pay, which is based on QR codes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So once again, fake news.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I have NEVER seen ANYONE use Walmart Pay at a Walmart. Yes, I shop there from time to time for expediency’s sake. I don’t think the demographics match.
    edited February 2017 jbdragonandrewj5790lostkiwiwatto_cobracali
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Does Target seriously believe it can come up with something better?

But I guess "coming up with something better" isn't the point. 
    StrangeDayslostkiwinetmagewatto_cobraGeorgeBMaccali
  • Reply 4 of 46
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    the checkout experience at Target, Home Depot and Walmart are one of the worst.  I notice the friction when checking out and it annoys me, and it makes buying online more appealing for me.  They need to slow Amazon.com down - making the checkout process less painful is a step towards that. 
    watto_cobrar00fus1
  • Reply 5 of 46
    Why are these companies so hell bent on making payments to them difficult? The easier payments are, the better our customer experience will. 
    StrangeDayslostkiwicaladanianwatto_cobracali
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    lkrupp said:
    No, it was real news - just not entirely accurate or particularly what Target executives wanted to talk about. Just somebody rogue inside Target going nuts, I guess.
    andrewj5790netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 46
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    I don't get this. They were right there at the beginning supporting Apple Pay ONLINE. I'm actually surprised that they still don't support it in their stores. It makes zero sense. Why they just don't support it now?!?! Why is it such a issue? They have terminals that can support it, but go out of their way not to. Home Depot said long ago they were going to support Apple Pay, and that for whatever reason also hasn't happened. Wal-Mart? Who's going to go out of their way to use a crappy App and QR codes? Does that really make it worth going though that? What difference does it make if someone wants to swipe a card or use NFC? They both do the same type of thing. You get PAID either way.
    andrewj5790StrangeDayslostkiwi
  • Reply 8 of 46
    lkrupp said:
    No, it was real news - just not entirely accurate 
    In other words, fake.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Oh, fuck you, Target. What an anti-consumer move. You would think they'd jump on this after their hacking scandal. But nope, lesson not learned. I'm now actively avoiding big box stores that don't support Apple Pay, even though their terminals DO support it,  because why the hell should I give them business if they don't give a shit about my convenience? I've been to a shitload of small business that take Apple Pay, so why the hell can't target?
    edited February 2017 StrangeDaysstevenozlostkiwinetmagewatto_cobrar00fus1GeorgeBMaccali
  • Reply 10 of 46
    I ask about it every 6-8 weeks when I make my Target visit.
    sricewatto_cobracali
  • Reply 11 of 46
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,118member
    lkrupp said:
    No, it was real news - just not entirely accurate 
    In other words, fake.
    No, fake news implies it was completely fictional - no basis in fact, no source for the news.

Somebody posted it on Target's social media account and that is what the original story covered. That is verifiable.
    slprescottnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 46
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    slurpy said:
    Oh, fuck you, Target. What an anti-consumer move. You would think they'd jump on this after their hacking scandal. But nope, lesson not learned. I'm now actively avoiding big box stores that don't support Apple Pay, even though their terminals DO support it,  because why the hell should I give them business if they don't give a shit about my convenience? I've been to a shitload of small business that take Apple Pay, so why the hell can't target?
    I bet they're waiting to see if they can somehow interject the Target Red Card into ApplePay. I think this was a feature Apple was trailing with some places, yes? People wouldn't be able to save the extra 5% without it and Target really pushes the Red Card (Debit or Credit) so customers would expect to be able to use ApplePay with the Red Card. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 46

sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    easy solution?

Don't buy stuff at target. That's what I do
    What department store do you shop at then? I don't know of a major department store retailer other than Kohls that does allow Apple Pay. You can't honestly tell us that you don't go to any of them, ever. 
  • Reply 14 of 46
    very disappointing. time to get back on email and twitter and tell them this is anti user. 
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 15 of 46
    jibjib Posts: 56member
    What department store do you shop at then? I don't know of a major department store retailer other than Kohls that does allow Apple Pay. You can't honestly tell us that you don't go to any of them, ever. 
    Macy's, for example, takes Apple Pay (although not with their store card).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 46
    macxpress said:
    slurpy said:
    I bet they're waiting to see if they can somehow interject the Target Red Card into ApplePay. I think this was a feature Apple was trailing with some places, yes? People wouldn't be able to save the extra 5% without it and Target really pushes the Red Card (Debit or Credit) so customers would expect to be able to use ApplePay with the Red Card. 

That's exactly what I was going to say.  I wouldn't use Apple Pay at Target if it cost me my 5% Target discount.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    I try not to frequent stores that don't accept ApplePay. And when I have to shop at a store that doesn't support it, I complain to customer service. And sticking the card in the reader is laughable compared to the ease and convenience of using ApplePay.
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 46
    jib said:
    Macy's, for example, takes Apple Pay (although not with their store card).

Haha Macy's. Nobody shops there. :smiley: 

macxpress said:
    slurpy said:

That's exactly what I was going to say.  I wouldn't use Apple Pay at Target if it cost me my 5% Target discount.
    This has to be the exact reason why they haven't allowed it yet. So this I don't think is exactly Target's fault, but rather Apple's. Once Apple starts allowing store cards into Apple Pay you'll see retails such as Target come onboard in store. 
    edited February 2017 lostkiwi
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Why are these companies so hell bent on making payments to them difficult? The easier payments are, the better our customer experience will. 

As many others have pointed out, the primary reluctance by major players is undoubtedly losing that valuable customer data. Although the smart companies are offering loyalty cards that now can be incorporated in Apple Pay to incentivize you to give them the data. 

The other thing Target ,Walmart, etc., would like to avoid paying albeit a small amount (15cents on a $100 purchase) when you use Apple Pay with their Target Card.  Retailers don't have to pay anything when you use Apple Pay, unless in the rare case where they are also the card issuer.  Target has pushed it's own debit card, Walmart has a couple of credit cards, etc. 

Walmart, Target, etc., are able to hold out because the use hasn't become widespread enough, and they are hoping to get their own systems adopted.   But with retailer acceptance hitting almost 40% this year, I think you'll see Apple finally launch its ad campaign for Apple Pay.  It hasn't made since to spend a lot advertising to consumers when the number of places they could use it was so low. Once you've used Apple Pay, it's easy to get hooked on how nice it works, and when other customers see it used more regularly the demand curve will really take off and businesses won't be able to resist the tide.   For example, at Costco yesterday I asked about it, and I was told that they are getting the new readers soon that will be capable of using Apple Pay and they are aware that there is strong customer demand, so crossing fingers.

edited February 2017 watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 20 of 46
    In Target's defense, they may in fact we close to adopting Apple Pay but just not ready to announce anything. They aren't going to spill the beans just because some random customer support rep said something stupid and it made the news.
    netmage