Apple suspends sales of LG's UltraFine 5K monitor over hardware issues

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Apple has temporarily stopped sales of LG's UltraFine 5K monitor, due to technical problems associated with a lack of proper shielding from wireless interference.

Over the weekend, Apple retail staff were told to keep the product on display yet not sell any units if people asked, according to a Business Insider source. The site added that it heard the same from a representative at a New York Apple store.

Separately, AppleInsider has confirmed the organized removal from sale of the Thunderbolt 3 display. Sources inside Apple not authorized to speak on behalf of the company indicated that retail locations are retaining demonstration displays, but not selling any stock on-hand that it may receive that may actually have the shielding fix, nor filling any pending orders until otherwise informed.

The USB-C-based LG UltraFine 4K display remains on sale.

Last month buyers reported glitches if the monitor was placed near certain Wi-Fi routers -- LG eventually narrowed the trouble to RF interference, and all new units should have better protection.

By last Thursday, Apple's U.S. shipping times for the UltraFine 5K had stretched to between 5 and 6 weeks, where they remain as of this writing. The company is presumably waiting until fixed units are in stock before resuming regular sales.

The UltraFine 5K costs $974, and was built specifically with the 2016 MacBook Pro in mind, connecting to the laptop through Thunderbolt 3 while offering three USB-C ports of its own.

It also includes features like a webcam and stereo speakers, but most notably a 5120-by-2880 resolution with support for the P3 wide color gamut.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    I hope Apple views this as a failed experiment.

I bought mine, and I love the screen, but everything else is problem after problem.

I move the cord at all, and the image cuts out.
    The cords attached to the monitor sometimes don't work until I plug and unplug them.
    My Macbook Pro randomly shuts down when connecting or disconnecting if I use clamshell mode.
    I don't have mine by a router, but that's a future potential problem, too.

blastdoordreyfus2bb-15john.bdysamoriapulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 40
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    dws-2 said:
    I hope Apple views this as a failed experiment.

I bought mine, and I love the screen, but everything else is problem after problem.

I move the cord at all, and the image cuts out.
    The cords attached to the monitor sometimes don't work until I plug and unplug them.
    My Macbook Pro randomly shuts down when connecting or disconnecting if I use clamshell mode.
    I don't have mine by a router, but that's a future potential problem, too.

Regardless...I still don't see Apple making displays again.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    One more reason to show it was a bad idea for Apple to get out of the display business.  I had a LG refrigerator that was a piece of crap. It is highly unlikely that I will ever buy a LG product again.
    blastdoorstevenozdysamoriapulseimages
  • Reply 4 of 40
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,277member
    kent909 said:
    One more reason to show it was a bad idea for Apple to get out of the display business.  I had a LG refrigerator that was a piece of crap. It is highly unlikely that I will ever buy a LG product again.
    I strongly agree that it was a bad idea. I doubt they'll reconsider, but we can dream. 

btw, I was in BestBuy over the weekend and one of the Macs on display was a Mac Mini attached to a Thunderbolt display. It made me sad that this is the face of the Mac being presented to the wider world. Meanwhile, 20 feet away were Windows PCs. Guess what -- the PCs weren't over 800 days old and attached to a discontinued monitor. Sad, sad, sad. 
    edited February 2017 dws-2dreyfus2dysamoriaavon b7watto_cobrapulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Sources inside Apple not authorized to speak on behalf of the company indicated that retail locations are retaining demonstration displays, but not selling any stock on-hand that it may receive that may actually have the shielding fix, nor filling any pending orders until otherwise informed.

While I was reading this sentence, my copy of "Grammar & Style" suddenly burst into flames. 

ibillHazel77king editor the gratestevenozrandominternetpersonneilmjohn.bdysamoriamagman1979pscooter63
  • Reply 6 of 40
    sog35 said:
    kent909 said:
    Apple does make displays.

its called the iMac.
    I think it does not. That is vendor supplied display. It also does not make hard disks and other stuff.
    dysamoriapulseimages
  • Reply 7 of 40
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Pretty simple solution - sell an iMac without the motherboard and storage. Essentially it's now an external monitor. Just need input ports, and display circuitry. AND IT WILL BE THE SAME HEIGHT AS AN IMAC! Come on TIm Cook!
    blastdoordysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 40
    kent909 said:
    Very shortsighted view. Too far generalization Not the same business as displays. But if you are that then washing machines can only compete with Samsung leaving everything else in dust. Ask household ladies who know their tools. Also as eletronics designer (I do seem to have degree from some university in this though not in the area anymore) I can tell that some people should learn to appreciate that cables can work in gigahertz frequency ranges. Shielding them and making sure they do not act as antenna is a very hard task. Same with electronics around. If you studied theoory of high frequency signals you would understand the issue there.
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 40
    This is turning into something of a clusterf**k. 
    dysamoriapulseimages
  • Reply 10 of 40
    I recall reading somewhere that TB2 networking can mimic Target Display Mode reasonably well using a 5K iMac running a MacBook pro, presumably in 'Share Screen...' mode ?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 40
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    sog35 said:
    kent909 said:

its called the iMac.
    The display is made by LG. Apple makes the computer around it.
    dysamoriawatto_cobrapulseimages
  • Reply 12 of 40
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Not picking on AI here, but what amazes me is the amount of problems that did not come up in any review of these displays. Not catching the interference problem is understandable, but are all the other problems we hear about now (except for the design, which was a clear negative for everybody with eyes) something that only showed up in production units? Most reviews were rather positive, and I would assume that the reviewers have tested clamshell mode etc. Can't really imagine so many people missed so many things?!
    dysamoriapscooter63
  • Reply 13 of 40
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Fatman said:
    Pretty simple solution - sell an iMac without the motherboard and storage. Essentially it's now an external monitor. Just need input ports, and display circuitry. AND IT WILL BE THE SAME HEIGHT AS AN IMAC! Come on TIm Cook!
    You have no idea whether LG has the production capacity to supply Apple with both iMac screens and screens for a standalone Apple monitor, while making their own LG-branded monitors as well. 

In other words, Tim Cook may have no control over the situation. Production realities are the fundamental factors that nobody ever seems to think about in these forums. 
    edited February 2017 StrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 40
    sog35 said:
    blastdoor said:
    kent909 said:
    I strongly agree that it was a bad idea. I doubt they'll reconsider, but we can dream. 

btw, I was in BestBuy over the weekend and one of the Macs on display was a Mac Mini attached to a Thunderbolt display. It made me sad that this is the face of the Mac being presented to the wider world. Meanwhile, 20 feet away were Windows PCs. Guess what -- the PCs weren't over 800 days old and attached to a discontinued monitor. Sad, sad, sad. 
    Who cares what Bestbuy displays?

The non-laptop PC market is small and insignificant.
    ...said Grand Moff Tarkin before the rebels destroyed the Death Star. ; )
    Rayz2016randominternetpersondysamoriapulseimages
  • Reply 15 of 40
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    sog35 said:
    kent909 said:

its called the iMac.
    The iMac is a fucking computer, not a display. How is that relevant for those looking to get an external monitor for their Macbook? But, this is a trend with your posts, as everyone knows. You love to distort the facts to champion Apple when stock is high, and you do the same thing to shit on them when stock is low. For you, nothing is based on facts or truth, just whatever you happen to think of Apple's stock at the moment, which colors every single one of your opinions. It got old years ago, but for some reason the mods still grant you posting privileges.
    edited February 2017 dysamoriamagman1979pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 40
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,277member
    Fatman said:
    Interesting idea. 

Leads me to another thought. 

Suppose that after they rip out the expensive Intel guts they add in some inexpensive ARM guts, along with a more limited ARM version of macOS (maybe restricted to app store apps only). That would give the display some limited stand-alone functionality while also allowing it to serve as an external display for a full-blown Mac. That could be particularly useful for laptop users -- that monitor isn't totally useless without the laptop. It could also be compelling for budget-conscious users with more basic needs -- like schools. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 40
    blastdoor said:
    kent909 said:

How many Apple displays have you bought? I've never bought one. I have three macs currently, seven in the last 11 years, but no apple branded displays. 

We can say we don't like it, but that doesn't mean it was a bad idea for them to leave a market that bore little fruit.
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 40

Fatman said:
    That wouldn't make sense since the imac shell is much bigger than a monitor's needs to be. 
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Honest question: if I'm not having any of these issues, do you think I should still return it? I feel like I'm waiting for a shoe to drop...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 40
    dreyfus2 said:
    Not picking on AI here, but what amazes me is the amount of problems that did not come up in any review of these displays. Not catching the interference problem is understandable, but are all the other problems we hear about now (except for the design, which was a clear negative for everybody with eyes) something that only showed up in production units? Most reviews were rather positive, and I would assume that the reviewers have tested clamshell mode etc. Can't really imagine so many people missed so many things?!
    What other problems are you referring to?