Apple's Eddy Cue reveals first 'Planet of the Apps' clip, says 'Carpool Karaoke' to debut ...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Apple SVP of Internet and Software Services Eddy Cue joined media partners during Monday's Code Media conference, covering a wide range of topics including the company's upcoming Apple Music exclusives "Planet of the Apps" and "Carpool Karaoke."

Recode's Peter Kafka (left) interviews Apple SVP Eddy Cue (right) and Propagate CEO Ben Silverman.

After a Cue offered the usual platitudes about Apple Music and its ability to cultivate pop culture, he turned the stage over to CEO of Propagate Ben Silverman, who is working on "Planet of the Apps."

As Silverman explained in lengthy detail, "Planet of the Apps" was conceived with his partners, including musician Will.i.am, long before Apple got a look at it. After shopping the concept around to the usual players in the television space -- who supposedly all wanted to sign on -- Will.i.am successfully pitched the show to Apple during a meeting regarding an unrelated subject.

The series itself is reminiscent of popular reality shows like "Shark Tank," in which independent developers from around the world pitch their ideas, in this case apps, to a panel of high-profile "mentors." Jessica Alba, Will.i.am, Gwyneth Paltrow and Gary Vaynerchuck make up Apple's cast.

Apple Music DJ Zane Lowe also appears to play a role as show emcee, talking to contestants before they go in front of the panel.

Unique to "Planet of the Apps," contestants have to sell the judges on their idea in a 60-second "escalator pitch" that has them literally explaining their app as they ride down an escalator. Once at the bottom, panelists swipe left or right on an iPad to show their interest, or disinterest, in the developer.

As seen in a clip provided during tonight's conference, panelists vie over the best ideas and developers lucky enough to have interest from multiple judges can choose who to work with as they further cultivate their concept into a working app. Outside advisors from Yelp, Uber and other major brands will subsequently help the teams during an incubation period .

The end goal is a chance to pitch in front of Lightspeed Venture Partners. According to Siverman, Lightspeed put up more than $10 million to fund the winning app.

Apple is launching its first TV show, "Planet of the Apps." Here's the trailer. More in our live blog: https://t.co/wK3Nn4xjuv #CodeMedia pic.twitter.com/AbdhyxRvJ8

-- Recode (@Recode)

When it launches this spring, "Planet of the Apps" will be accompanied by a standalone iOS streaming app, allowing viewers to watch current and past episodes whenever they choose. New installments will debut each week, like a traditional TV series, though viewers will be able to reference past episodes through the app. As such, the show will air without ads.

Among the benefits of airing a reality show like "Planet of the Apps" on Apple Music's digital platform is immediacy. For example, viewers will be able to download and use the winner's app as soon as they show is finished, a feature not possible on television. Apple already said it plans to give the winning app a prominent place on the App Store once the final show airs.

As for Carpool Karaoke, Recode was able to suss out an official launch date from Cue, who said the hotly anticipated adaptation is expected to hit Apple Music in April.

During the keynote interview, Apple's Carpool Karaoke partner and Late Late Show with James Corden producer Ben Winston offered additional details about the forthcoming series. A take on shorter Carpool Karaoke segments popularized by Corden's talkshow, Apple's version pairs musicians, actors, sports stars and other personalities together as they go on a road trip.

A second trailer for the show debuted at Code Conference and was subsequently posted to Apple's YouTube channel. The accompanying explainer says 16 celebrities will ride along together and sing tunes from their personal playlists. In the video, the pairs, including Corden and Will Smith, are found driving along public roads and making pit stops at a grocery store, bar, Krispy Kreme and more.

The short spot also reveals a new Apple Music section called "TV & Movies," which at this point is limited to "Planet of the Apps" and "Carpool Karaoke." Not yet included in Apple's latest iOS beta version, the unreleased feature appears to function in a similar fashion as current music videos. Episodes are laid out in a list on iPhone, or grid-style on iPad, while tapping on a particular installment brings up a video viewing card. A tvOS version for fourth-generation Apple TV units is also rolling out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    This show will be awesome because it opens the door to a very exciting world of case studies for investing, thinking, new ideas, app development and coupling wealthy celebrities with iOS developers in the cloud era.

This will promote iOS app development in a big way.  If they can do it then I can do it as well.
    It's like Shark Tank for iOS App Development.

I am really looking forward to this show.
    edited February 2017 StrangeDaysidrey
  • Reply 2 of 24
    So basically a Shark Tank clone?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Sounds terribly dull 
  • Reply 4 of 24
    IMHO, Platnet of the Apps is much more than Shark Tank.  Take a look at this video.

• Reply 5 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    IMHO, Platnet of the Apps is much more than Shark Tank.  Take a look at this video.

It reminds me of 'The Voice', which also features Will I. Am

I don't think it's mainstream (or meant to be), but I reckon the geeks will tune in. 
  • Reply 6 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This show will be awesome because it opens the door to a very exciting world of case studies for investing, thinking, new ideas, app development and coupling wealthy celebrities with iOS developers in the cloud era.
    Wut.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Rayz2016 said:

I don't think it's mainstream (or meant to be), but I reckon the geeks will tune in. 
    Yes.  The idea of advisors does add an aspect of The Voice to it.
    It's not just for geeks, most App users will be very interested to see what goes into making an app and how much money an app can earn for its developer and investors.  It is really a new and exciting field in so many ways.  It think the TV aspect will be big and the interest in App Development will greatly increase globally because of this show.

Keep in mind that it is not just national, it is truly Global.  Something that current TV platforms cannot do.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 24
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Rayz2016 said:

It's not just for geeks, most App users will be very interested to see what goes into making an app and how much money an app can earn for its developer and investors.  It is really a new and exciting field in so many ways.  It think the TV aspect will be big and the interest in App Development will greatly increase globally because of this show.

Keep in mind that it is not just national, it is truly Global.  Something that current TV platforms cannot do.
    Most app users?  Most people are app users, you really think most people will be very interested in this nerd shit?

I predict a flop.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    That trailer....disturbing that this idea got going.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Silverman looked uncomfortable during parts of the interview - a play on the Dragons Den/Shark Tank/Nippon TV format isn't exactly TV innovation.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    crowley said:
    Sounds terribly dull 
    Welcome to reality television. Perhaps you've heard of X Factor, Singing With the Stars, Dancing With the Stars, America's Got Talent, Shark Tank, etc... It's all dull. That's why you don't have to watch it.
  • Reply 12 of 24

crowley said:
    Rayz2016 said:

Most app users?  Most people are app users, you really think most people will be very interested in this nerd shit?

I predict a flop.
    Of course you. It's what tech nerds do -- predict everything (that they didn't discover) sucks. Especially if it's Apple-related... Nothing new here.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    crowley said:
    Rayz2016 said:

I predict a flop.
    LOL.  It's not nerd shit, it's business ventures.
    The participants will not go there to show how well they can program, they'll go there to discuss ideas, get funding and make money.
    App users will be interested because they can relate to Apps, celebrities and making money.
    Remember, the AppStore has paid over $50 Billion to developers.  I am not referring to monopoly money here...
    This will offer life time opportunities to developers globally. 

• Reply 14 of 24
    Shark Tank Inception!

I was excited when I read about this recently, seems like exploring original content related to Apple's core business is a great idea, but I don't have a good initial feeling about this.

They pitch to someone so they can pitch to someone else? That sounds a bit tedious; I hope I'm wrong. Why are there glowing stairs leading up to the chairs? I was hanging on, until Gwyneth Paltrow.

I love Shark Tank though, so maybe I'll like this. I'll try to stay optimistic.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 15 of 24
    The bigger news today though is clearly how Apple is using services to filter political content. I have already been subjected to fake news from Apple, sadly.

This whole "Fake news" thing is largely a red herring, and obfuscates the much more prevalent issue of bias, which is overwhelmingly on the side of the people claiming "fake news" is such a big deal. In fact, this bias is why the "fake news" stories got so much traction in the first place (assuming the issue of "fake news" has some legitimacy). This whole issue is only polarizing everyone further (allowing people on either side to bunker down further into their rationalizations), and is poisoning the discourse on important issues.

Unsurprisingly,  the people at Apple News seem to have a bias, which is why filtering needs to be avoided. FWIW, I definitely don't want brietbart or fox filtering my news either.

For example, last time I checked Apple News, the top story, at the top of the page, ostensibly the most important news story for the day, was that trump kept journalists in the dark when he went golfing with Abe. That is clearly 1) not important, and 2) shows obvious bias, which should be pretty clear should be in the same category as "fake news."

FWIW, and it goes without saying, I don't have problems with criticism of trump, or anyone else, but I don't want any news outlets, especially Apple, giving me a biased outlook on the world.

Mods, please allow this comment to stand.

edited February 2017
  • Reply 16 of 24

crowley said:
    Rayz2016 said:

I predict a flop.
    Of course you. It's what tech nerds do -- predict everything (that they didn't discover) sucks. Especially if it's Apple-related... Nothing new here.
    Apple does it's best work as a platform / ecosystem provider. Being a content creator, to me, shows lack of focus. It's similar to back in the day when MS was in the content business but finally realized that they had to pull out because it wasn't their core strength / business.
  • Reply 17 of 24

Looks horrible. Like a niche version of Shark Tank. I can't imagine the general iOS user cares at all about about this and the ones that do like developers or future developers would hate that their profession is turned into reality TV game show garbage. 
  • Reply 18 of 24

crowley said:
    Sounds terribly dull 
    Welcome to reality television. Perhaps you've heard of X Factor, Singing With the Stars, Dancing With the Stars, America's Got Talent, Shark Tank, etc... It's all dull. That's why you don't have to watch it.
    Is there a reason Apple needs to be in the business of crappy reality TV? 
  • Reply 19 of 24

crowley said:
    Sounds terribly dull 
    I don't think Apple needs to be in the business of creating content. Period.
  • Reply 20 of 24

crowley said:
    Sounds terribly dull 
    I don't think Apple needs to be in the business of creating content. Period.
    I agree. I'm hoping this is only because Apple's hand is being forced by uncooperative content creators, and that Apple will back off once it eventually has the content it needs needs for Apple TV.