Apple's WWDC 2017 returns to San Jose June 5-9, registration begins March 27

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2017
After spending the last 13 years in San Francisco, Apple's annual Worldwide Developer Conference will return to San Jose this June, moving it closer to the company's corporate campus in Cupertino.

The last time WWDC occurred in San Jose, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs held a mock funeral for Mac OS 9.

News of WWDC 2017 in San Jose was revealed on Thursday by Jim Dalrymple of The Loop, who had the opportunity to speak with Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller and San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo. Schiller revealed that the 28th annual WWDC will be held the week of June 5 through 9, and registration will start on March 27.

Apple usually kicks off WWDC with a keynote presentation where it unveils new products and services. It is widely expected that this year will be headlined by the introduction of iOS 11, as well as macOS 10.13.

Schiller indicated that WWDC 2017 will be about the same size as previous conferences, hosting 5,000 developers and 1,000 engineers at San Jose's McEnery Convention Center.

The last time WWDC occurred in San Jose, in 2002, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs held a mock funeral for Mac OS 9. That year the company announced Mac OS X 10.2 and QuickTime 6.

Apple typically does not announce WWDC so early, but presumably opted to do so this year in order to give developers time to adjust their plans. San Jose is about a 15 minute drive from Cupertino, while San Francisco is about 45 minutes north.

As expected, Schiller revealed to Dalrymple that this year's show will focus on Apple's four major software platforms --?iOS, macOS, tvOS and watchOS. The move to San Jose is not only closer for Apple engineers, but could make hotels more affordable for developers traveling to California for the conference.

Apple said it is working with the city and local businesses for "very special experiences around San Jose" for this year's event.

Liccardo, San Jose's mayor, said the city is "ecstatic" that Apple is returning to the site of the very first WWDC, held in May of 1990.

"We look forward to working with Apple to create a special experience for the thousands of attendees who will visit San Jose for this marquee event," Liccardo said. "And on behalf of our entire city, I'd like to extend a warm invitation to Apple developers, partners and enthusiasts from around the world to join us in Downtown San Jose as Apple unveils its latest innovations."

Registration will once again be a lottery system. For those who cannot attend, Apple will offer live streams.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Surprisingly early announcement! This takes away the annual guessing of when Apple will announce the dates for WWDC! Bravo!! 👏
    canukstormwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    For the curious, here is the WWDC 2017 promotion picture...
  • Reply 3 of 16
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Makes a lot more sense for apples workers. 
  • Reply 4 of 16
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    I'm probably seeing things that aren't there, but does this guy look like he's wearing some kind of new AR headset?

StrangeDaysrandominternetpersonpatchythepiratestardustag
  • Reply 5 of 16
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    iPad Pro 2?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    In Before...

No Apple isn't going to have WWDC at Apple Campus 2, including their keynote address. Thats not the point of the auditorium they built. WWDC is way too large of a venue to have at Apple Campus 2, even if it is open and Apple is moved in. 
  • Reply 7 of 16

"liberal arts" & "diverse perspectives" in one sentence. What about the conservative arts? :)

buzdotsmattinoz
  • Reply 8 of 16
    mobius said:
    I'm probably seeing things that aren't there, but does this guy look like he's wearing some kind of new AR headset?

Back pack, moving from right to left.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    buzdots said:
    mobius said:

Back pack, moving from right to left.

Over ear headphones + backpack?
    buzdotsmobius
  • Reply 10 of 16
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I will Apple would return updates of Mac OS to an 18-24 month schedule, it's a mature platform and new features now only seemed obligatory and not useful or fully realized. 

iOS could use some decluttering now since it's becoming more of a desktop OS than ever before. The yearly introduction of new iPhones require software to take advantage of new hardware so I don't see this changing anytime soon or ever. 

The same may be said of Apple Watch however the scale of the device will bind Apple to limit the OS from becoming a settings overload as the iOS is now. 

Apple TV won't matter until Apple can bring live TV, much more content and improve it's movie rental prices and availability. 

asdasd
  • Reply 11 of 16
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

"liberal arts" & "diverse perspectives" in one sentence. What about the conservative arts? :)

Which would go hand-in-hand with "singular perspective".
    mattinoz
  • Reply 12 of 16
    spice-boy said:
    I will Apple would return updates of Mac OS to an 18-24 month schedule, it's a mature platform and new features now only seemed obligatory and not useful or fully realized. 

iOS could use some decluttering now since it's becoming more of a desktop OS than ever before. The yearly introduction of new iPhones require software to take advantage of new hardware so I don't see this changing anytime soon or ever. 

The same may be said of Apple Watch however the scale of the device will bind Apple to limit the OS from becoming a settings overload as the iOS is now. 

Apple TV won't matter until Apple can bring live TV, much more content and improve it's movie rental prices and availability. 

What sort of clutter in iOS? I'm looking at my springboard and I don't see it. My apps work the same. Notifications are on their on tray, widgets on their tray, etc.. Seems pretty tidy and manageable to me.

Live TV? It's already on many of the cable-network apps, but it's of very little interest to me. I'd much, much rather time-shift my content and watch it when it's good for me, not the networks. On demand streaming is the way forward.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Steve Jobs leaning offer a coffin is a sad/creepy image (now).
  • Reply 14 of 16
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    macxpress said:
    In Before...

No Apple isn't going to have WWDC at Apple Campus 2, including their keynote address. Thats not the point of the auditorium they built. WWDC is way too large of a venue to have at Apple Campus 2, even if it is open and Apple is moved in. 
    In before something only you suggested... 

Anyway, the auditoriums in San Jose are big enough. As a city San Francisco is a bigger draw for tourists, however the attendees aren't mainly tourists and if they want to do the tourism thing up north they can take the train. 
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 15 of 16
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    spice-boy said:

What sort of clutter in iOS? I'm looking at my springboard and I don't see it. My apps work the same. Notifications are on their on tray, widgets on their tray, etc.. Seems pretty tidy and manageable to me.

Live TV? It's already on many of the cable-network apps, but it's of very little interest to me. I'd much, much rather time-shift my content and watch it when it's good for me, not the networks. On demand streaming is the way forward.
    Take a stroll through iOS preferences, they go deep wide. 

There are a few things I watch on live TV still. I really dislike my cable box and remote. I also only watch tv content in the evenings after dinner, from 8 - 11 and never on a mobile device. 
  • Reply 16 of 16
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member

Old angry cartoonists are not moving to iPadPro anytime soon.