McDonald's parodies Jony Ive Apple design videos in promo for 'the STRAW'

Posted:
in General Discussion
In a bid to sell its upcoming St. Patrick's-themed Chocolate Shamrock Shake, McDonald's has revealed "the STRAW," an accompanying product the fast food chain is marketing with a clip that pokes fun at Apple marketing videos, which frequently star chief design officer Jony Ive.

The McDonald's ad replaces Ive with Jeffrey Roy, identified as the company's "person with British accent," who explains that while the STRAW isn't "so revolutionary, it changes everything," it's "close." The video goes on to mock Apple's tendency to over-emphasize minor design elements, including use of the term "magical."

The STRAW -- Suction Tube for Reverse Axial Withdrawal -- is a real-world creation, designed by engineers from NK Labs and JACE Engineering to solve a specific problem with the Chocolate Shamrock Shake: how to suck multiple flavors at the same time. The end result is a snorkel-like design with carefully placed holes.

The Apple parody extends further to the product's packaging, which uses similar minimalist imagery.

Rather than selling the STRAW directly, McDonald's will be offering it in limited quantities with Chocolate Shamrock purchases at specific restaurants. The company will identify those locations on its website within the next two weeks.

Apple design videos are a frequent target for comedy. In November, for instance, "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" copied them to satirize the company's "Designed by Apple in California," a book consisting mostly of product photos that comes in $199 and $299 editions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Wait this is still a thing? And companies still think it's clever?
    tmayjbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 31
    CHOCOLATE Shamrock shake? Sounds disgusting.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    If they really copied Ive and Apple the straw would not be included, ship 3 moths late and cost $100.
    [Deleted User]techprod1gybuzdotsalcstarheelberndogyojimbo007SpamSandwichxzuglynh
  • Reply 4 of 31
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    This was really well done with some biting (or sucking) lines. I know this is not the first Apple/Ive parody but it's a good one. 
    randominternetpersoncyberzombiecommand_fmonstrosityberndog
  • Reply 5 of 31
    If they really copied Ive and Apple the straw would not be included, ship 3 moths late and cost $100.
    It would be included, but missing one or more of the holes for the first generation, yet sold in four different colors.
    buzdots
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Yay one of my "Tips" made it.

The video is brilliantly funny :blush: 
    manfred zorn
  • Reply 7 of 31
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    apostates.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    It sucks.
    jbdragoncommand_fwatto_cobraxzu
  • Reply 9 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Secretly developed by Google for Burger King's South Korean branch,  an identical version about to be released with less rounded corners and zero profit.
    edited February 2017 randominternetpersoncyberzombiecommand_fboltsfan17alcstarheelroundaboutnowcanadiandudewatto_cobrastanthemanxzu
  • Reply 10 of 31

That straw is actually pretty clever.  The way it's designed it will continue to work even when the fluid level drops below these extra holes.

And from a marketing perspective, I'd stop by McD to get a cool straw in a nice box.

patchythepiratepscooter63xzu
  • Reply 11 of 31
    The combination does have its admirers - A Chocolate/Shamrock shake might put a serious dent into the multi-million dollar sales of GSA Corp (Girl Scouts of America) who practically invented the flavor concept with their "Thin Mints" cookies. A lawsuit may be forthcoming at any moment. 
    quadra 610
  • Reply 12 of 31
    It's chocolate and mint. What's not to like? After Eight mints; Andes mints; mint chocolate chip ice cream; Junior Mints; York Peppermint Patties. It's a popular combination. Now "shamrock" flavor doesn't sound appealing at all, so maybe that's what you meant.
    edited February 2017 SpamSandwichpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Tired cliche of mocking those who actually achieve greatness.
    jcdinkinsai46watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 31
    It would be included, but missing one or more of the holes for the first generation, yet sold in four different colors.
    I'll wait for 2nd gen straw until they add the sixth hole so I can suck a third layer of flavor. 
  • Reply 15 of 31
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member

That straw is actually pretty clever.  The way it's designed it will continue to work even when the fluid level drops below these extra holes.

And from a marketing perspective, I'd stop by McD to get a cool straw in a nice box.

I don't like to support McDonalds but how much was it?
  • Reply 16 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    It's chocolate and mint. What's not to like? After Eight mints; Andes mints; mint chocolate chip ice cream; Junior Mints; York Peppermint Paddies. It's a popular combination. Now "shamrock" flavor doesn't sound appealing at all, so maybe that's what you meant.
    I have to confess I assumed Spam was being sarcastic.  Chocolate-mint is a totally normal and accepted not to mention successful combination in the confectionary world.  Pass another After Eight please, heck pass the box!  BTW people who put empty papers back in the box should be shot!  ;)
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Who wants a straw ? You have to get them, put them away, you lose them...YUCK !! We are going to use the best drinking device in the world. We are going to use a drinking device that we are all born with - THE MOUTH !
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    "If you see a straw, they blew it.” 
    StrangeDaysquadra 610
  • Reply 19 of 31
    It sucks.
    Well actually, it's the recipient.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    JinTech said:

I don't like to support McDonalds but how much was it?

My understanding is that a) it's not out yet, and b) it will be given away free to some customers at some stores who buy the shake.  I look forward to the details so I can camp out at a participating McDs to be first in line (not really, but I would go somewhat out of my way for one).