Apple launches new series of iPad Pro ads as anticipated hardware refresh looms

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    entropys said:

iPad has always been about how the tools we use for doing work change according to the work we need to do, and that in turn changes the work we do, to take advantage of the tools available.  

While I know what you are trying to say, not quite. People adopt tools because they help them do the work they want better. They don't adopt tools that force themselves to do work a different way. Help is not the same as force.

The iPad is limited by imposed constraints in iOS. A few changes to iOS with new APIs could fix that and actually turn it into a productivity tool.  The most important is a file manager to improve access to files. Those things workers use and share around. A file manager makes possible even very simple things like putting more than one file in an email. Pretty important for work don't you think? There are other simple things too, like windowing which with a bit of thought could work too. 

Microsoft has based itself on its strengths and is working Surface backwards from a PC towards a productivity tablet. Of course that means as a tablet it isn't that good in comparison to an iPad. Apple is working from a very good tablet and working toward a replacement for the PC. At a snail's pace.
    I reckon though that Apple could turn iPad into a great productivity tool more easily than Microsoft can shoehorn windows 10 and an Intel chip into a lightweight tablet. IOS will always have a better interface for tablet use. But there is no reason iOS can't become a desktop class OS, built from the ground up for touch input and widely used lightweight applications.
    They need mouse support.   They added the smart connector and a keyboard to make it more laptop like, but not having mouse support make about as much sense as selling a laptop without a track pad now.    Maybe then the iPadPro will be worth looking at but now the iPP is over priced.    When they came out with the 9.7 inch iPP they raised starting price $100 (and if you wanted to use it as an artist its another $100 for the pencil.)   No wonder sales have dropped by half the last two years.    iPad Air 2 (a 3 year old machine) should be $249  (iPad Air 3 $350) and iPadPro $450 ($500 with pencil included) Then they will sell like hot cakes.
  • Reply 22 of 80
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    k2kw said:
    entropys said:

iPad has always been about how the tools we use for doing work change according to the work we need to do, and that in turn changes the work we do, to take advantage of the tools available.  

While I know what you are trying to say, not quite. People adopt tools because they help them do the work they want better. They don't adopt tools that force themselves to do work a different way. Help is not the same as force.

The iPad is limited by imposed constraints in iOS. A few changes to iOS with new APIs could fix that and actually turn it into a productivity tool.  The most important is a file manager to improve access to files. Those things workers use and share around. A file manager makes possible even very simple things like putting more than one file in an email. Pretty important for work don't you think? There are other simple things too, like windowing which with a bit of thought could work too. 

Microsoft has based itself on its strengths and is working Surface backwards from a PC towards a productivity tablet. Of course that means as a tablet it isn't that good in comparison to an iPad. Apple is working from a very good tablet and working toward a replacement for the PC. At a snail's pace.
    I reckon though that Apple could turn iPad into a great productivity tool more easily than Microsoft can shoehorn windows 10 and an Intel chip into a lightweight tablet. IOS will always have a better interface for tablet use. But there is no reason iOS can't become a desktop class OS, built from the ground up for touch input and widely used lightweight applications.
    They need mouse support.   They added the smart connector and a keyboard to make it more laptop like, but not having mouse support make about as much sense as selling a laptop without a track pad now.    Maybe then the iPadPro will be worth looking at but now the iPP is over priced.    When they came out with the 9.7 inch iPP they raised starting price $100 (and if you wanted to use it as an artist its another $100 for the pencil.)   No wonder sales have dropped by half the last two years.    iPad Air 2 (a 3 year old machine) should be $249  (iPad Air 3 $350) and iPadPro $450 ($500 with pencil included) Then they will sell like hot cakes.
    No, absolutely not! You can't make a tablet a laptop and visa versa. It doesn't work. This is exactly what Apple doesn't need to do. Anyway you look at it, the iPad Pro is still a tablet and needs to be treated like one. As soon as you start treating it like a laptop (like giving it a mouse), you turn it into something it was never intended to be and it will end up be like all of the other hybrid devices...like the Surface Tablet, I mean Surface laptop, I mean well...you get what I mean. 
    StrangeDaysradarthekatspheric
  • Reply 23 of 80

The heck with new iPads.  How about an update to the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro?!!!!
    And you're not going to buy either one so what difference does it make?
    StrangeDaysthewhitefalcon
  • Reply 24 of 80
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The heck with new iPads.  How about an update to the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro?!!!!
    Patience. My idea is to kill both lines and replace them with with a new Mac Pro "mini" size device that's stackable and you can daisy chain as little or as many or them as you need for as much power as you require. And you can add-on things like RAID hard drive setups that also have the same case size and can join the stack. And the design is done in such a way that if you physically stack say 4 of them it looks like one standing piece.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mattinoz said:
    I know I'm old and these seem to be aimed at college kids but these ads don't send a good message.

my take away is Apple should make a touchscreen MacBook with Lte data but don't.
    i guess the message was meant to be touch interface without compromising computer programs but it just does send that message clearly. 
    Except for the mouse, there's little functional difference between the IPad Pro and a MacBook.  
    ...  The future of laptops is arriving...   The world's are converging.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 26 of 80
    I like all but the ghost one.  

People suggest Apple should respond to its critics and here they are doing so without mentioning any critic or competitor by name.  Should they be more aggressive ala the I'm a Mac campaign?  I don't think so.  Today that would come across as being a bully.  You can get away with that when you're the underdog, but a more positive message is warranted when you're on top.  Taking on anonymous twitter quips seems a good way to set the stage for each message.  

And I think people do need to begin to see the iPad in a new light; it's not just for content consumption anymore.  As I wrote when the iPad Pro was first introduced:

In 1960, it took a roomful of people with mechanical calculators on their desks to do the work that later generations could easily perform with a spreadsheet.  But when spreadsheets and other business applications came along, the work they made possible went beyond the problem they were initially designed to solve.

iPads, and specifically the iPad Pro, is not designed to do the same work that a PC traditionally did.  Those who are suggesting the iPad Pro is a poor replacement for a PC are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.  The tablet form factor has its own destiny, which will take on many, but not all the tasks of a PC, while enabling new forms of work and productivity that PCs cannot accommodate.

totally disagree!  From a functional perspective, the only difference between an IPad Pro and a MacBook is the mouse -- and that is simply another input device easily added.  Yes, the MacBook has ports, but we see from the MacBook Pro where that is headed...

People scream about different OS's.   But IOS was born from the rib of MacOS.  In the end, they are both computer programs that evolve to meet future demands. 

Eventually, the difference will come down to whether the keyboard & trackpad are detachable or not.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    entropys said:

I'm not speaking to the way an individual approaches a new tool, but rather the way it is adopted by whole new populations of users.  An individual who was manually updating ledger entries in an accounting department would likely use a spreadsheet to make that process a lot easier, but might not use the spreadsheet for other purposes.  It others, who aren't tied to a legacy use case might see the spreadsheet as a new tool with new purposes.

Those who used a PC to surf the web or read will immediately see the iPad as a better tool, as its portable and can be used in more comfortable positions, like laying on the sofa as I am now with mine.  But those who were using a PC to write novels or to run Quicken might not see the iPad as an enhanced means of performing that work.  It's a third set of users who might find entirely new use cases for the iPad, use cases that take advantage of its portability and particular user interaction model, that offer distinct advantages over a PC.  Adoption of iPads by cockpit crew of major airlines is a good example.  The many emerging apps being developed under the Apple/IBM partnership include other examples..  The iPad will find its own path. 
    No
    ...  These ads just showed us the future convergence of these form factors.   The things that separate them are easily overcome and the result will be increased flexibility and power.   The best of both worlds.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    ireland said:
    Not going to stop the knuckleheads who swear no one wants iPads anymore. There will be plenty more articles about the non-stop sales decline of new iPads because EVERYONE is buying Microsoft Surface Pro devices. Endless blah, blah, blah as to why Apple even bothers to produce iPads anymore.
    Year over year numbers are down for several reasons (but still outsell Macs 2:1). People keep them a while as phones are expensive, but I also think it's because Apple haven't made iPads appealing enough.

I believe it was a mistake on Apple's part to keep 16 GB as the base model for so long as 16 GB is too small storage for the device and it was an upsell tactic—not a tactic to make the best device and the best experience—Schiller and Apple's worst trait.

iPad mini 2 shouldn't be on their store on in their stores. They should simplify the lineup entirely and sell iPad mini 4 ($399/$449) and iPad Pro 9.7" ($599/$649/$749). Both should start at 64 GB, then 128 GB for $50 extra and then 256 GB in the Pros—same numbers in €. Add 150 for all 12.9" models. This means no matter which device users would buy they get a great device and better value. And all iPads should work with Apple Pencil and have good cameras with flashes. iPad Pro would justify its nomaclature with its larger canvas area, four speakeras and a Smart Connector with keyboard options—and keyboards should be $99 and $129 for the larger.

That should have been Apple's 2016 iPad lineup. No more Air 2, no more mini 2. With more affordable best in class models, starting at a healthy 64 GB.
    Good Points!  BUT:
    There is little difference between the IPad Mini 2 and the Mini 4.   One runs an A7, the other an A8.   They are both in need of modernization.   That said, I just bought a Mini 2 and love it!   Aside from being incredibly cheap, it runs well.  

In addition, I hope that they support the Mini form factor and concept.   Not only does it offer a cheaper option (like the SE), but frankly, I like the form factor better than the full IPads which feel overly large and clunky to me.  While it is true that the IPhone Plus models and the IPad Mini models may compete with each other, having an IPad Mini enables me to carry a smaller phone -- which is good for exercise like running and strength training.   Currently I have an IPhone 6 Plus and, while its easy to use, it is not easy to carry.  I plan to downgrade to a smaller phone as soon as this one bytes the dust.
  • Reply 29 of 80
    ireland said:
    Not going to stop the knuckleheads who swear no one wants iPads anymore. There will be plenty more articles about the non-stop sales decline of new iPads because EVERYONE is buying Microsoft Surface Pro devices. Endless blah, blah, blah as to why Apple even bothers to produce iPads anymore.
    Year over year numbers are down for several reasons (but still outsell Macs 2:1). People keep them a while as phones are expensive, but I also think it's because Apple haven't made iPads appealing enough.

I believe it was a mistake on Apple's part to keep 16 GB as the base model for so long as 16 GB is too small storage for the device and it was an upsell tactic—not a tactic to make the best device and the best experience—Schiller and Apple's worst trait.

iPad mini 2 shouldn't be on their store on in their stores. They should simplify the lineup entirely and sell iPad mini 4 ($399/$449) and iPad Pro 9.7" ($599/$649/$749). Both should start at 64 GB, then 128 GB for $50 extra and then 256 GB in the Pros—same numbers in €. Add 150 for all 12.9" models. This means no matter which device users would buy they get a great device and better value. And all iPads should work with Apple Pencil and have good cameras with flashes. iPad Pro would justify its nomaclature with its larger canvas area, four speakeras and a Smart Connector with keyboard options—and keyboards should be $99 and $129 for the larger.

That should have been Apple's 2016 iPad lineup. No more Air 2, no more mini 2. With more affordable best in class models, starting at a healthy 64 GB.
    Good Points!  BUT:
    There is little difference between the IPad Mini 2 and the Mini 4.   One runs an A7, the other an A8.   They are both in need of modernization.   That said, I just bought a Mini 2 and love it!   Aside from being incredibly cheap, it runs well.  

In addition, I hope that they support the Mini form factor and concept.   Not only does it offer a cheaper option (like the SE), but frankly, I like the form factor better than the full IPads which feel overly large and clunky to me.  While it is true that the IPhone Plus models and the IPad Mini models may compete with each other, having an IPad Mini enables me to carry a smaller phone -- which is good for exercise like running and strength training.   Currently I have an IPhone 6 Plus and, while its easy to use, it is not easy to carry.  I plan to downgrade to a smaller phone as soon as this one bytes the dust.
    Good point on the processors in the mini. I overlooked this. The mini should suffer neither RAM or proc deficiencies by stocking old internals. If I had my way Apple's cheapest iPad would be $399—a mini, but would be an impressive mini. As I have said, 64 GB, great camera and flash, fully up-to-date proc and Pencil support. The ditching of the cheaper models (mini 2) somewhat compensates for the lack of an up sell model built into the new lineup: every iPad isn't just good but really great and the base model is enough storage for most people. This new way of pricing the iPad could be explained as I have just done, on stage in plane English and people would appreciate and understand. It's not about hitting each price point. It's about selling great products. Only great products at genuine value.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 30 of 80
    This is good advertising. It recognises that the iPad isn't for everyone, but for most people it's going to do everything they want (and more.) Specifically what it loses from a general purpose laptop it gains in more useful abilities (e.g. speed, ease of use, convenience.)

There are always going to be ad critics in the forums, and in the face of good advertising they are always going to fail at articulating their argument. This thread has been no exception.

As for the timing: for the best results from a big launch Apple needs to counter the iPad's depressed mindshare, a simple top-of-mind reminder assists there - that's what these ads do (especially as they counter prevalent falsehoods about the iPad's abilities.)
    A growing audience for iPad that Apple seems to ignore in favor of marketing toward the young: Seniors! I've recommended iPads as replacements for at least 3 seniors and they all love them. Easier and more reliable than a PC.
    Big time -- my senior parents "get" their iPads in a way they never did with their PCs or Macs. 
    GeorgeBMacSpamSandwichjony0
  • Reply 31 of 80

ireland said:

Not really. Having an entry-level model isn't some devious "upsell!" tactic -- it's just having a cheaper entry-level model. You don't have to use it. You probably shouldn't. But my parents are very content with 16GBs on their existing iPads -- they dont do many apps or music and it's plenty for them.
    jony0
  • Reply 32 of 80
    The fact that so many armchair-executive techies don't like these ads confirms my reaction that they're good. To wit:

- I laughed out loud at the "Word!" gag

- I laughed out loud at the "Ghosts!" gag

- I was intrigued w/ the Pencil-markup features of Word

...the ads are zippy, easily consumable, show value, and are amusing. That's good work. (Tho I don't expect many left-brainers to get advertising)
    edited February 2017 radarthekatjony0
  • Reply 33 of 80
    macxpress said:

And you're not going to buy either one so what difference does it make?
    His kind have a compulsion to troll any thread with their same old chants.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    macxpress said:
    k2kw said:
    entropys said:

No, absolutely not! You can't make a tablet a laptop and visa versa. It doesn't work. This is exactly what Apple doesn't need to do. Anyway you look at it, the iPad Pro is still a tablet and needs to be treated like one. As soon as you start treating it like a laptop (like giving it a mouse), you turn it into something it was never intended to be and it will end up be like all of the other hybrid devices...like the Surface Tablet, I mean Surface laptop, I mean well...you get what I mean. 
    You could have said the same thing about the Smart Keyboard and the Pencil/stylus (Apple has already crossed that line with the Pro). Adding a cursor to the iPad Pro would be a major overhaul but it is absolutely necessary if the iPad Pro is to become a serious PC contender. The touch-based input is the single biggest obstacle to making more sophisticated apps since you can only do so much with touch (e.g., UI elements need to be large and simple - small, complex controls are a nightmare for touch input). Of course the Pencil can provide precision input but it is not suitable as a general input device (it's meant for drawing, not for general input). A cursor, along with a native file manager (and maybe an additional port or two) would go a long way to making the Pro a genuine PC competitor. Until then, it's just a big iPod.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 35 of 80
    ireland said:
    Patience. My idea is to kill both lines and replace them with with a new Mac Pro "mini" size device that's stackable and you can daisy chain as little or as many or them as you need for as much power as you require. And you can add-on things like RAID hard drive setups that also have the same case size and can join the stack. And the design is done in such a way that if you physically stack say 4 of them it looks like one standing piece.
    I'd rather they went back to a regular sized tower. It doesn't have the be the size of the old MacPro tower, but maybe the size of the PowerMac G4 tower. Then you can put hard drives (or SSD's), or possibly make it with 4 pci-e flash storage slots. Then you could also put in whatever video card(s) you wanted. If they make the MacPro so its dongle heaven like the current one is I don't see it making people very happy, especially the ones that use it. It they used the same black aluminum case in a tower form factor I think that would look really slick. Knowing Apple, it will probably come in Space Gray, Silver, Gold, and Rose Gold. 
  • Reply 36 of 80
    ireland said:
    ireland said:

Good Points!  BUT:

Good point on the processors in the mini. I overlooked this. The mini should suffer neither RAM or proc deficiencies by stocking old internals. If I had my way Apple's cheapest iPad would be $399—a mini, but would be an impressive mini. As I have said, 64 GB, great camera and flash, fully up-to-date proc and Pencil support. The ditching of the cheaper models (mini 2) somewhat compensates for the lack of an up sell model built into the new lineup: every iPad isn't just good but really great and the base model is enough storage for most people. This new way of pricing the iPad could be explained as I have just done, on stage in plane English and people would appreciate and understand. It's not about hitting each price point. It's about selling great products. Only great products at genuine value.
    Yes, ALL good points!  
    But, there is another concern over the processor, other than how does it run today?   It's product life.   In about 6 months Apple will be rolling out the A11 and the A8 will be 3 generations back.   The question is:  How long will that be able to keep up with new OS's?   While the product life should not be horrible, it is maybe not what it could be.   --- Which is a good seqway into my next point:   "Great Product", like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I think I understand what you mean by it.  But, others may value different things than you do.   For myself, IOS and its hardware have reached a point for me that Stability, reliability, and security (plus the way Apple products play so nice together) are more important than technical features.  
  • Reply 37 of 80
    Demigod said:
    macxpress said:
    k2kw said:
    entropys said:

You could have said the same thing about the Smart Keyboard and the Pencil/stylus (Apple has already crossed that line with the Pro). Adding a cursor to the iPad Pro would be a major overhaul but it is absolutely necessary if the iPad Pro is to become a serious PC contender. The touch-based input is the single biggest obstacle to making more sophisticated apps since you can only do so much with touch (e.g., UI elements need to be large and simple - small, complex controls are a nightmare for touch input). Of course the Pencil can provide precision input but it is not suitable as a general input device (it's meant for drawing, not for general input). A cursor, along with a native file manager (and maybe an additional port or two) would go a long way to making the Pro a genuine PC competitor. Until then, it's just a big iPod.
    The other reason that the pencil would not work well as a cursor input is the same as why Apple said that the MacBook would "never" have a touch screen.   It's just too awkward to use a keyboard and a touch screen at the same time.   They are right.   But, a tablet that can be a tablet or a laptop (with external keyboard and cursor input) is an entirely different matter
  • Reply 38 of 80

ireland said:

Not really. Having an entry-level model isn't some devious "upsell!" tactic -- it's just having a cheaper entry-level model. You don't have to use it. You probably shouldn't. But my parents are very content with 16GBs on their existing iPads -- they dont do many apps or music and it's plenty for them.
    Yeah I disagree with this thinking.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    You can stack several and create a tower.
    macxpress said:
    ireland said:
    I'd rather they went back to a regular sized tower.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    The commercials are not bad, they get their point across unless you are totally lost,, with a bit of quip and fun,,, yes I like the 'w o r d'.. Have used the iPad since second gen, now have a pro and love it, do 99% on it, sometimes I do go in the office and use the desktop iMac, it's just better for a few things, but if I really tried could do them on the iPad too I guess...
    radarthekat