Rumor: Apple to launch 'iPad Pro 2,' red iPhone 7, 128GB iPhone SE at March event

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2017
In addition to new iPads, Apple is also expected to unveil a high-capacity 128-gigabyte iPhone SE -- as well as a potential (Product)Red iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus -- at a media event in March, a new report claims.

Citing an unnamed source, Macotakara reported on Monday that the minor changes to the iPhone lineup are expected to take place at an iPad Pro-focused event in March.

In addition, the report also indicated that Apple could launch new, seasonal bands for the Apple Watch.

The event is expected to be headlined by three new iPads, most notably a 10.5-inch model that could be the new flagship design. It's believed that the 2017 "iPad Pro 2" will come in sizes of 12.9 and 10.5 inches.

Apple is also expected to offer a more budget-priced 9.7-inch iPad, which could replace the iPad Air 2 at the low end of the company's tablet lineup.

Monday's report suggested that Apple could also introduce a 7.9-inch iPad Pro, but that would contradict earlier rumors suggesting the iPad mini is not due for a refresh. The company's smallest tablet has not been updated since late 2015.

Macotakara has reported on a red colorway option for the iPhone before, but previously suggested Apple could hang on to that until the launch of an "iPhone 7s" later this year. Adding a new color mid product cycle could be a way for Apple to juice sales of the iPhone 7 months before the anticipated refresh.

As for a 128-gigabyte iPhone SE, that would be something of a surprise, since earlier reports claimed Apple would not refresh its diminutive handset this year. A capacity bump would suggest that Apple will stick with the same components, including an A9 processor and the lack of a 3D Touch display, as the iPhone SE that debuted in 2016.

Currently, the iPhone SE maxes out with 64 gigabytes of capacity, priced at $449.

A March event would also be a potential opportunity for Apple to update its 12-inch MacBook with Retina display. That would be consistent with the last two models, which debuted in April of the last two years.

With Apple putting the finishing touches on its forthcoming "spaceship" Campus 2, it's possible that a March media event could be the first-ever hosted at its new corporate headquarters. The company will also hold an event in June, its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, in nearby San Jose, Calif., where it is expected to introduce iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4, and tvOS 11.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Shame, I was waiting for the next SE update for a better processor. Guess I'll have to stick with my 6s a little longer.

Definitely excited about the new iPad Pro 2, been waiting for that one as well!

Will be interesting to see if the mini is actually not updated. That is definitely my favorite iPad for reading and gaming. It's just the right size for gaming imo. If they aren't updating it and keeping up with the other iPads, it hurts gaming performance. I guess we'll wait and see.
  • Reply 2 of 79
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    emig647 said:
    Shame, I was waiting for the next SE update for a better processor. Guess I'll have to stick with my 6s a little longer.

Will be interesting to see if the mini is actually not updated. That is definitely my favorite iPad for reading and gaming. It's just the right size for gaming imo. If they aren't updating it and keeping up with the other iPads, it hurts gaming performance. I guess we'll wait and see.
    ?
    What would a new processor get you?   A tenth of second response time?

The SE is designed as a "budget" (for Apple), entry level phone.   To have it compete on specs with the high end phones defeats the purpose.
    mwhiteSpamSandwichmacseekerwilliamlondondoozydozenstantheman
  • Reply 3 of 79
    I use the 12" iPad Pro as my daily mobile content creation device. It used to be that to get any serious work done I had to be in my studio with my farm of 12-core MacPros. But now I can do about 80% of my design work on the iPad Pro before exporting it to my desktop workstations. 

I hope Apple knows how important the 12" device is to a certain segment of the pro community. It worries me a little that Apple would want to make the smaller device the flagship. The 12" form factor is ideal because it's the same size as a piece of letter sized paper. In fact a legal paper sized device would be welcome. 

Regardless, I'm happy to hear about the update. I'm hoping Apple surprises us and ships it with an A11 and more RAM. The A9 in the iPad Pro is quite strong, and compares nicely with a mobile i3 or i5. But I could use a little more horsepower. I haven't kept up with the A series rumors. But power is key. 

Also, I really hope Apple comes up with a unibody-like titanium keyboard attachment, that would turn essentially turn the tablet into an iOS laptop. There are already some cool keyboard/battery devices available that do this now, but none are quite Apple-like. 

The iPad Pro had changed my entire workflow for the better and not only does Apple need to be aggressive with its design, but also its promotion. The iPad Pro can do anything a Surface can do but Apple isn't telling anyone about it because they don't want to hurt MacBook sales, which I think is foolish. 
    DonlanMattGeorgeBMacdoozydozenwatto_cobramacplusplusstanthemanedred
  • Reply 4 of 79
    Seriously doubt there will be a 128 SE. They include more storage in the premium models, not the starter models.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 79
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    I think March is too early for event at HQ 
    edited February 2017 doozydozenirelandcornchip
  • Reply 6 of 79
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    The iPad Pro can do anything a Surface can do but Apple isn't telling anyone about it because they don't want to hurt MacBook sales, which I think is foolish. 
    Don't think Apple is ever afraid of cannibalisation of their own products...
    And they promote the iPad Pro even as a replacement of a PC, so for sure as a replacement of a Surface.
    StrangeDaysdoozydozenwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 7 of 79
    Obilg post

Where is the <insert product name here>? The old <insert product name> model is <instert number of years here> years old.

Plus the

Apple is doomed quote.

Come on Apple, I have money waiting for <xxxxxxxx>

Perhaps now the rest of the posts will offer a reasoned argument?
    somehow I doubt it.
    watto_cobrajony0cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 79
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    emig647 said:

?

The SE is designed as a "budget" (for Apple), entry level phone.   To have it compete on specs with the high end phones defeats the purpose.
    For me, the 0.1 second improvement in response time isn't as much of an issue as the extra year before it's too slow to be useable and obsolete.
    king editor the gratewilliamlondonGeorgeBMaceuropean_fanboydoozydozenAmy28watto_cobrabaconstangcornchipedred
  • Reply 9 of 79
    The iPad Pro had changed my entire workflow for the better and not only does Apple need to be aggressive with its design, but also its promotion. The iPad Pro can do anything a Surface can do but Apple isn't telling anyone about it because they don't want to hurt MacBook sales, which I think is foolish. 
    If this is true, explain to me why I need to use iTunes on the desktop to get my personal video library saved to my iPad Pro? I love my iPad but until I don't need to use desktop iTunes it will never be a complete PC replacement.
    bloggerblogAmy28patchythepiratecornchip
  • Reply 10 of 79
    All the models that this article said would not be updated are the ones I want to buy!  iPad Mini, iPhone SE!  Both need to be fitted with at least the A10 and 4GB RAM! It okay for now that Apple keeps the screen resolution at 720i. Don't care about anymore since any good HD or better resolution video I can watch them on either my 4K TV or PC monitor.
    williamlondonbaconstang
  • Reply 11 of 79
    emig647 said:

?

No. That is not "it's purpose". No. that is not what it is "designed as'.
    cecil444baconstang
  • Reply 12 of 79
    emig647 said:

?

emig647 said:

?

emig647 said:

?

Why can the SE be the flagship model and the 5.5" be the budget? After all that size been the flagship for Apple for 7 years! It still has the most users too! 63% still use a 4" model worldwide!
    williamlondonbaconstang
  • Reply 13 of 79
    Seriously doubt there will be a 128 SE. They include more storage in the premium models, not the starter models.
    SE is not their "starter model". Far more customers buy the 6s, or even the 7 as their first iPhone, than buy the SE.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 79
    "Colorways" will never become common, everyday usage.  There's not even an entry in Wikipedia for it.

Could AI please give up the crusade already?  Thanks.
    irelandentropysbestkeptsecretradarthekat
  • Reply 15 of 79
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    The iPad Pro can do anything a Surface can do but Apple isn't telling anyone about it because they don't want to hurt MacBook sales, which I think is foolish. 
    Can I write & compile software on an iPad Pro? No I didn't think so. The Surface can, and the Macbook can. Can I easily transfer data from a Windows/Linux machine to the iPad Pro without messing about logging into iCloud and uploading files or emailing it to myself? No didn't think so. The Surface can, and the Macbook can. Can I run professional electronic simulation software on an iPad "Pro"? No. You see where this is going. iPads can't do anywhere near as much as a Surface can, and the reason is...

iPad needs a better OS. When it was first conceived, i(phone)OS was fine as a stop-gap, but now the iPad is held back so much by the software. The hardware is excellent bar lack of a USB port. IMO iOS on iPad has similarities with classic Mac OS, in that for the time, it's very limited and Apple doesn't seem to know where to take it. Multitasking is difficult, sharing files between apps is even worse. It really is much too limited for a supposed pro device, unless you're doing some task Apple's specifically catered for. Anything that doesn't fit into Apple's idea of what you should be doing with iPad is nigh-on impossible. I really would like a tablet I could write software on, and use as a real laptop replacement, but unfortunately the iPad Pro isn't it. I hate to say it, but Microsoft has eaten Apple's lunch with the capabilities of the Surface vs the iPad. "Pro", the iPad certainly is not.
    williamlondondoozydozenentropyspatchythepirate
  • Reply 16 of 79
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    elijahg said:
    Can I write & compile software on an iPad Pro?
    Yes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 79
    emig647 said:
    I wouldn't make purchasing decisions based on rumors of the day. See what is announced.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 79

Do you have a link to back that opinion up? First I've heard of it. Apple has always been first to say "kill your darlings" and historically has had no problem cannibalizing existing products with new. Execs have commented on it, saying they'd rather have you buy something else from Apple than a competitor, so I'm really curious what info you have to the contrary.
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 79
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    emig647 said:

I would have bought the 128GB when it was released, but now it's too late for me. I bought the 64GB and see that I don't really need the 128GB. This wI'll likely make a difference to new SE buyers though.

The processor is not an issue at all here. It's got the same processor as the 6s which is generally not the significant between it and the 7. The features distinguish those phones far more than the processor.

What would make a difference to me is upgrading the front half of the phone to the same resolution as the 7, and a better FaceTime camera. If they did that, I might trade mine in. 

Otherwise, I don't see upgrading the SE I have for at least another year, and then only to whatever Apple offers new in the 4" size category (and yes an 4.7" OLED with no bezels would do the trick). Depending on what Apple offers in the next couple of generations, I can see keeping the SE for 4 years. It's got a 4 year warranty thanks to AC and my credit card, and I don't really need more, right now. Given that Apple is building a factory to make it in India, I can see it going unchanged and supported for at least three more years considering it's basically the same as the 6s, and likely longer since Apple was still supporting the 4s in India right up through the 6s. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't update it with the "7s" tech next year when the 6s falls off the offerings. Though I'm hoping they offer a 4"-sized version of the next generation.
    edited February 2017 Mikeymikebaconstang
  • Reply 20 of 79
    I use the 12" iPad Pro as my daily mobile content creation device. It used to be that to get any serious work done I had to be in my studio with my farm of 12-core MacPros. But now I can do about 80% of my design work on the iPad Pro before exporting it to my desktop workstations.
    Can you share what apps you use and what is your workflow?

The iPad Pro can do anything a Surface can do 
    That is just not true, Surface Pro can run the entire Adobe CC Suite, and the Xd Surface preview rocks!
    There is a full Adobe Xd "Feature Request" posted for the iPad, I encourage every iPad user who is also a designer to Vote it up. With enough votes we can get it to "Feature In Backlog". Right now it has a measly 109 votes.
    https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/12926919-please-make-an-ios-version-of-xd-with-robust-ipad
    williamlondondoozydozenpulseimagescornchip