Apple's 12.9-inch iPad Pro out of stock as refresh looms

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2017
Amidst rumors claiming Apple plans to refresh its iPad line at a special event in March, the company and its reseller network are seeing stockouts of all 12.9-inch iPad Pro models, with both online and brick-and-mortar stores showing availability estimates pushed back by 2 to 3 weeks.

According to AppleInsider's Price Guide, both Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular versions of Apple's 12.9-inch iPad Pro are almost completely sold out at a number of authorized Apple resellers. The stockout impacts all storage tiers and colors, from 32GB Wi-Fi only models to 256GB Wi-Fi + Cellular configurations.

At B&H Photo, all 12.9-inch iPad models are on backorder save for the 128GB Gold WiFi + Cellular and 256GB Wi-Fi only models. MacMall is seeing similar shortages, with all models sold out except for limited supply of 32GB Gold Wi-Fi Only and 128GB Silver WiFi + Cellular versions.

Separate checks with Apple's own online store confirm the constraints, with all 12.9-inch iPad Pro models now showing estimated ship-by dates of 2 to 3 weeks. Additionally, Apple's in-store pickup option is pushed back exactly four weeks to Mar. 20.

It appears Apple is selling through stock on hand, as some brick-and-mortar outlets still have certain configurations available for immediate pickup. For example, the 128GB Wi-Fi + Cellular version in silver is available from our local store.

Unveiled in September 2015 and released a month later, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro was the first Apple tablet to bear the "Pro" moniker. The jumbo-sized iPad packs an A9X processor, quad-speaker stereo sound, Touch ID and more into a svelte 6.9-millimeter thick chassis.

The tablet also introduced a range of powered accessories thanks to Apple's Smart Connector. More importantly, iPad Pro incorporates special internal hardware to support Apple Pencil, the company's tilt- and pressure-sensing stylus.

After more than a year on the market, however, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is due for a refresh.

A report earlier today said Apple is planning to hold a special iPad Pro-focused media event in March. Alongside an expected 12.9-inch "iPad Pro 2" refresh, the company is rumored to release a new 10.5-inch design that could serve as the product line's flagship. A low-end 9.7-inch iPad with minor internal updates is also anticipated, with the model expected to take over iPad Air 2 as Apple's budget tablet.

The report goes on to claim Apple will introduce a revamped 7.9-inch iPad mini product, but such a release runs counter to predictions from noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Also rumored for announcement at the March event is a 128-gigabyte iPhone SE and potential (Product)Red editions of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Availability has been like this for about 2 weeks, except 2 weeks ago the availability for in-store pickup of wifi-only models was March 8th and cellular models March 12th. (I've been wondering when AI and others would pick up on this.)
    edited February 2017 dhawkins541Soli
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Air 2 can still be picked up, but online delivery is two weeks. 
    ireland
  • Reply 3 of 11
    After more than a year on the market, however, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is due for a refresh.”

Really? So it’s that outdated already?? Jesus, I though iPads weren’t selling because they lasted people longer than their phones, now they’re “outdated” in a year… but hey, whatever… 
    :| 

Not disputing the lead times online btw, just the way this is being spun here. You want something “due for a refresh”, take a look at the Mac desktops.
    edited February 2017 mtefrewatto_cobrabig
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I still feel the 12.9" is a niche product...

It's close to the size and price of a Apple laptop.  I can see artists drawing on it, and supposedly airlines use it rather than a manual.  But, it's overkill to browse the web or read a book.  Games would be better on the laptop...

I'm curious to see the rumored 10.x sized IPad.  With the lighter weight, holding it in one hand should be doable.

I have the Apple Pencil... it's not that useful for everyday work.  CAD on the 12.9" might work (in a pinch) but more for reading drawing than creating them.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    “After more than a year on the market, however, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is due for a refresh.”

Really? So it’s that outdated already?? Jesus, I though iPads weren’t selling because they lasted people longer than their phones, now they’re “outdated” in a year… but hey, whatever…  :| 
    It seems to me that iPad's used for *consumption* of content probably don't need updating that often but iPad's used for *creation* of content could probably do with a more regular update cycle. But also, I hear a certain number of people say they'll never buy 1st gen of anything, so it would make sense for Apple to try and get a 2nd gen out within a reasonable timeframe.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    I still feel the 12.9" is a niche product...

It's close to the size and price of a Apple laptop.  I can see artists drawing on it, and supposedly airlines use it rather than a manual.  But, it's overkill to browse the web or read a book.  Games would be better on the laptop...

I'm curious to see the rumored 10.x sized IPad.  With the lighter weight, holding it in one hand should be doable.

I have the Apple Pencil... it's not that useful for everyday work.  CAD on the 12.9" might work (in a pinch) but more for reading drawing than creating them.
    I'm glad that after the discontinuation of Apple's monitors and rumored discontinuation of Apple's routers, that there's still room in the line up for some niche products.

Gaming on the iPad Pro is great, by the way. Games like XCOM is so much more enjoyable on an iPad than on a PC.
    TomSawyer
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I'm definitely curious to see what, if anything, they can come up with to motivate me to upgrade my 12.9" iPad Pro.

As I sit here I can't think of a single thing, even hypothetically, that could get me to go through the pains of upgrading.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    After more than a year on the market, however, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is due for a refresh.”

Really? So it’s that outdated already?? Jesus, I though iPads weren’t selling because they lasted people longer than their phones, now they’re “outdated” in a year… but hey, whatever… 
    :| 

Not disputing the lead times online btw, just the way this is being spun here. You want something “due for a refresh”, take a look at the Mac desktops.
    Ridiculous comment. Holding on to an iPad for several years because it useful for a long time is different than whether Apple decides to introduce a refreshed product every 12 - 18 months. Do you expect car companies to only introduce new models once every 10 years, because that's how long they last on average?
    macxpressbig
  • Reply 9 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    “After more than a year on the market, however, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is due for a refresh.”

Really? So it’s that outdated already?? Jesus, I though iPads weren’t selling because they lasted people longer than their phones, now they’re “outdated” in a year… but hey, whatever…  :| 

Well the thing is...Macs are still selling too even though they're not being updated. So you're kinda contradicting yourself a little...
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Dave CummingsDave Cummings Posts: 43unconfirmed, member
    Its been on backorder like that since really Christmas.  It was saying "ships in 1-2 weeks" most of the time, except for a day or two, then a couple of weeks ago, saying in 2-3 weeks.  Places like Verizon had it on backorder until March 31st since around Christmas,  though the wait wasn't that long.  I ordered mine through Verizon on Jan 13th,  and got it last week.   Its true that they probably will update it,  but also they've said that they underestimated holiday demand of the iPad this year.  I know places like Verizon, they sold out of them fast, having a special where if you buy an iPhone 7,  you save like $200 off an iPad 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I have a pen. I have an Apple. Ugh! Apple pen.