Apple shares four new 'One Night' ads focusing on iPhone 7 low-light photography [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2017
Apple on Monday shared a series of four short commercial spots featuring the low-light photo capture capabilities of iPhone 7, with the ads taking viewers on a trip through a sampling of nighttime scenes, from New York to Johannesburg.

The 15-second spots are in part excerpts from Apple's full-length "One Night" commercial that aired earlier this month. Like the original, each of today's shorts feature a mix of still and time-lapse photography, as well as snippets of video, of various night scenes in exotic urban locales.

Captured with iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, the latest commercials transport audiences into the nightlife of Johannesburg, New York, Shanghai and Tokyo.

The first film, shot by Laurence B., throws a spotlight on the neon-and-concrete jungle of Tokyo. Shots include rain-dotted windows, a brightly lit train flying across a level crossing and the city's famous Shibuya crosswalk. Each scene is difficult to capture with large-sensor digital SLRs, let alone a pocketable smartphone.

The Shanghai segment, shot by Jennifer B., is similar in content, but different in execution. Instead of focusing on harsh, contrasting colors, the photographer plays with a more neutral color palette of blues and whites set against the city's colorful skyline. Most impressive are the deep, rich blacks iPhone 7 is capable of capturing without significant noise.

Apple's "One Night in New York" short by Jeremy P.C. is the only commercial to feature a sunlit sky, albeit the ochre hues of daybreak. This particular ad includes a variety of colors that are notoriously difficult to render on digital. Apple notes third-party apps were used to create the images.

Finally, in Johannesburg, Elsa B. is able to capture stunningly saturated video in conditions that are anything but well-lit. Apple notes additional hardware was used to accomplish the task, likely aftermarket lenses.

Appearing on social media outlets like Instagram over the weekend, Apple's "One Night" shorts are the part of the larger "Shot on iPhone" campaign and focus on iPhone's ability to capture stunning images even in low-light settings.

Update: Apple also posted to its YouTube channel a pair of ads touting Portrait Mode on iPhone 7 Plus. Part of a larger campaign, the ads explain the depth effect feature and how it can turn a regular image into art.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Ah reading the fine print is always worthwhile....did you notice depending on the picture it says one or more of the following - "Some pictures shot with iPhone 7 Plus" or "Additional apps used" or "Additional hardware used".

So good luck getting the same quality with your iPhone 7 unless you are a professional with many tings at your disposal. I love my iPhone 7, and its camera, but really this is a misleading set of ads and article. Read the fine print.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 14
    donawalt said:
    Ah reading the fine print is always worthwhile....did you notice depending on the picture it says one or more of the following - "Some pictures shot with iPhone 7 Plus" or "Additional apps used" or "Additional hardware used".

So good luck getting the same quality with your iPhone 7 unless you are a professional with many tings at your disposal. I love my iPhone 7, and its camera, but really this is a misleading set of ads and article. Read the fine print.
    If you read past the first paragraph and picture, you would see that we mentioned use of additional hardware. Shanghai and Johannesburg used additional hardware, New York and Tokyo required third-party apps. Software is hardly a professional tool when it comes to iOS.
    lolliverRayz2016stantheman
  • Reply 3 of 14
    donawalt said:

Not sure about hardware, but most of the software are easy to use Apps that you can download right now. Nothing like special lessons are required to use such Apps, they are all straight forward.
    lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 14
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    donawalt said:

It is the photographer and not so much the hardware. If you have an eye for photography you can still get great results with the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    The new Apple ads are flashy and vibrant, but the old classic ones were simple and authentic.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Aaaggghhh ... throws Canon F2.8 L lenses in pond
    rich gregoryradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    donawalt said:

Are you the type, after going to a friends house and having an amazing meal, you look at your friend and say, "Damned that was an amazing meal. You must have amazing pots and pans?"

Trust me. A talented and competent photographer will be a gear hound with all the equipment in the world but no artistic ability any day. Even if the talented and competent photographer has only a box Brownie camera.
    rich gregoryRayz2016
  • Reply 8 of 14
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    Best ad campaign in a while 
  • Reply 9 of 14
    donawalt said:

Every ad comes with fine print. And even snaps taken on a vanilla iPhone 7 Plus without any additional hardware or software are really good.

The only reason why the additional hardware and apps work well is because the iPhone camera itself works well. Without a strong foundation (the iPhone camera), no bells and whistles will work.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Does anyone else remember buying a mobile phone to make phone calls?

I'm getting very old :-(

singularitywatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    donawalt said:
    Additional hardware is lighting. Apple is simply being honest. No one expects an alleyway portrait photo to look professional without added lighting.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 12 of 14
    I love the photos my 7+ takes. I hate that 4 months out, I'm still receiving spam iCloud Photos sharing invitations after sending tons of examples to Apple's customer support. 
  • Reply 13 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Rayz2016 said:

Make a call ...?  Hell, I keep trying to punch in the phone number I want to call only to find it's the log in screen!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Rayz2016 said:

Not since I won a Palm V at the 1999 JavaOne conference...