'iPhone 8' to include game changing 3D facial recognition tech in FaceTime camera

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2020
In addition to being a complete redesign of the iconic handset, Apple's anticipated "iPhone 8" will reportedly bring key technical upgrades to the platform, including a "revolutionary" front facing 3D camera system that can be used for a variety of applications, from biometric authentication to games.

'iPhone 8' concept rendering by Marek Weidlich.

According to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, the OLED "iPhone 8" or "iPhone X" will add an infrared transmitting module and an infrared receiving module to accompany the FaceTime camera.

The new system will enable the forward facing camera to accomplish 3D sensing and modeling. According to Kuo, this will be available for a range of unique use cases, including replacing the head of a character in a 3D game, or taking a 3D selfie.

Of course, such a system could also allow for advanced biometric authentication. The details are in line with earlier reports, which suggested Apple plans to add two-step authentication to its flagship iPhone this year, combining facial recognition with fingerprint scanning.

To that end, Kuo said that the new system could be used for both facial and iris recognition.

Apple is expected to include a customized 1.4-megapixel image sensor in the infrared receiving model that will detect changes in light signals. The system is believed to use technology that Apple acquired from its $345 million purchase of PrimeSense back in 2013.

Combined with facial recognition technology from Apple's acquisition of augmented reality firm Metaio in 2015, Apple's system is expected to be far beyond anything currently available on the market.

Still, Kuo said that while Android handsets are behind Apple in terms of algorithms, he expects that competing handsets will catch up over the next 1 to 2 years. In the interim, the analyst said he is "upbeat" about the prospects for Apple's technology.

Kuo also expects that Apple's advanced camera technology will eventually make its way to the rear cameras on future iPhones in the years to come.

Beyond the years-past purchases of PrimeSense and Metaio, Apple has been gradually building its patent and technology portfolio with more acquisitions related to 3D facial recognition technology.

Just this week, it was revealed that the iPhone maker had acquired Israeli firm RealFace for $2 million. And back in January, reports indicated that it also bought facial expression analysis firm Emotient for an unknown amount.

Beyond the front facing camera, Apple's so-called "iPhone 8" is expected to feature an edge-to-edge OLED display with glass back. It is expected that key components -- including the FaceTime camera -- could be embedded within the display.

Apple is also expected to ditch the Touch ID home button and instead include a "function area" that will be dedicated to system functions, like virtual buttons. Above it will be a 5.15-inch diagonal display.

It's also rumored that the handset will feature wireless inductive charging, and will carry a hefty price tag starting at $1,000. Apple is expected to unveil the "iPhone 8," along with new "iPhone 7s" models in size of 4.7 and 5.5 inches, in September.
lkrupp

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    meh
    lkruppSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Meh

facebook messenger and snap chat 3D face effects already work well enough for this gimmick, no special hardware required.

reminds me of the plus portrait mode blurred background, another feature that can easily be done in software
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Ah for Christ's sake: Go back in time, slap on IPhone 8 label on the 7 and you'll experience the same tepid reception to the 'mind blowing product' including Cook,s canned, "it's our best iPhone yet but there's greater thing in the pipeline  coming!"
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Meh

reminds me of the plus portrait mode blurred background, another feature that can easily be done in software
    It is actually done in software IMO. The dual lens, in this case, just allows the software to distinguish objects in the front and the ones in the background. The software aspect is easily noticed when looking a hairs among other details. My 2 cents.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 39
    This is one the rumor mill is definitely getting wrong. Very wrong.

They may indeed have an enhanced facial recognition system, to apply to the Camera and Photos app, because the People feature desperately needs better logic.

But thats it. You're not going to be unlocking your iPhone with your face.
    watto_cobraSpamSandwichcali
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Ok, so the rumor continues to be that this will be used as a new form of biometrics to unlock your phone but what other function/purpose will it serve? Just seems like a large investment of both time & money to just unlock your phone. Not being snarky, but can someone enlighten me to other uses this could bring? 
  • Reply 7 of 39

They may indeed have an enhanced facial recognition system, to apply to the Camera and Photos app, because the People feature desperately needs better logic.

Not with that attitude.
    king editor the gratepatchythepirate
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Absolutely. 

Old Well-Connected has all the dots in front of him, but he's failed to join them up correctly. He seriously thinks that Apple is going to force users to authenticate with their face and a fingerprint before buying a Vanilla Latte?

if that's what he thinks then either he's on crack or Apple is. 
    Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 9 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    supadav03 said:
    Ok, so the rumor continues to be that this will be used as a new form of biometrics to unlock your phone but what other function/purpose will it serve? Just seems like a large investment of both time & money to just unlock your phone. Not being snarky, but can someone enlighten me to other uses this could bring? 
    Gaming. Apple makes a crapload off games. 
    cali
  • Reply 10 of 39
    This is why the FaceTime camera in the new MacBook Pros is controlled by the same T1 chip controlling the TouchID and Touch Bar. Expect the same feature in the next iteration of MacBook Pros w/ TouchID.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    supadav03 said:
    This technology can be used for Apple TV's, logging in different members of the family iTunes account based on who is standing in front of the camera. May also be used in beats speakers, logging in different people and their account/playlist based on facial recognition. 
  • Reply 12 of 39
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    supadav03 said:

Apple never does things for the hell of it. They always have a plan. You may not see exactly why this is important today (or when/if its released), but in the future you will. You have the lay the ground work for this stuff first and then go from there. Apple does this all the time...I bet most people don't even realize it.

For example, do you think for a second that Apple only came out with this extremely well implemented fingerprint reader (TouchID) just to unlock your phone? Of course not! They were most likely working on ApplePay the entire time knowing TouchID could be a very secure way of implementing it. Nobody knew this at the time, except Apple but it was implemented and tested for a year or so before ApplePay came out so they knew TouchID would work well for it. 
    edited February 2017 fastasleepmike1chabigPolyphoniecalibadmonk
  • Reply 13 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    ireland said:
    meh
    Exactly, what’s left to innovate on smartphones other than gimmicks like this? Same goes for every other smartphone manufacturer. In my opinion real innovation would be a battery that is completely safe and lasts for days.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    "Beyond the years-past purchases of PrimeSense and Metaio, Apple has been gradually building its patent and technology portfolio with more acquisitions related to 3D facial recognition technology."

Not one.  Apple has not done a single acquisition and holds not a single patent related to facial recognition.  Face recognition, on the other hand...

It's as I said throughout my career, I hate being right two years early.  Soon, after Apple goes in stage and intros some related feature, perhaps the world will finally start using the correct term.  
  • Reply 15 of 39
    cesco said:
    Ah for Christ's sake: Go back in time, slap on IPhone 8 label on the 7 and you'll experience the same tepid reception to the 'mind blowing product' including Cook,s canned, "it's our best iPhone yet but there's greater thing in the pipeline  coming!"
    Can you be more specific about what you think is lacking about the 7? it's the best smartphone I've ever owned. And what on earth do you mean by "Tepid", considering the record sales quarter? Clearly people couldn't wait to get their hands on the 7.

And Cook's not lying to you when he says they have things in the pipeline. Previously: AirPods, TouchBar, Watch, more awesome phones, etc. 

I know tho, it's hard to use tech as the most exciting thing in your life when our devices start to mature. But let me ask you -- do you think carpenters are posting such nonsense on power tools forums? "Nothing revolutionary in this band saw! DeWalt sucks!"
    edited February 2017 tmayrandominternetpersonradarthekatmike1caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 39
    "Beyond the years-past purchases of PrimeSense and Metaio, Apple has been gradually building its patent and technology portfolio with more acquisitions related to 3D facial recognition technology."

Not one.  Apple has not done a single acquisition and holds not a single patent related to facial recognition.  Face recognition, on the other hand...

It's as I said throughout my career, I hate being right two years early.  Soon, after Apple goes in stage and intros some related feature, perhaps the world will finally start using the correct term.  

fa·cial
    [ˈfāSHəl]
    ADJECTIVE
    1. of or affecting the face:
      "facial expressions"
    NOUN
    1. a beauty treatment for the face.

Seems like the first definition applies perfectly well ("recognition of the face").  But perhaps the remarkable thing will be the app that can reverse engineer the makeup applied to someone else's face.  "How does she look so young and fresh?"  "There's an app for that!"

cali
  • Reply 17 of 39
    cesco said:
    Can you be more specific about what you think is lacking about the 7? it's the best smartphone I've ever owned. And what on earth do you mean by "Tepid", considering the record sales quarter? Clearly people couldn't wait to get their hands on the 7.

And Cook's not lying to you when he says they have things in the pipeline. Previously: AirPods, TouchBar, Watch, more awesome phones, etc. 

I know tho, it's hard to use tech as the most exciting thing in your life when our devices start to mature. But let me ask you -- do you think carpenters are posting such nonsense on power tools forums? "Nothing revolutionary in this band saw! DeWalt sucks!"

You're nothing but a DeWalt-hating troll!  Go back to Porter Cable Insider and yuck it up with your misinformed friends.
    SpamSandwichStrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 39
    I, for one, can't wait for Apple to give me a facial.
    fluffhead
  • Reply 19 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

In actual fact you are not correct.  While you might properly explain the terminology Apple does have patents that their engineers submitted and the USPTO accepted that specifically mention "facial recognition" among that patents claims. US 9076029 B2 is but one of a few. US 8593534 B2 is another in case you think there's only one.  Look at the very first claim on each of them. 

edited February 2017
  • Reply 20 of 39
    naryfanaryfa Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Wait... So all I need to unlock your phone now is to hold it in front of your face?!?
    edited February 2017