Apple's 'spaceship' Campus 2 to officially be known as Apple Park, 175-acre HQ to open in ...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2017
Employees at Apple's corporate headquarters will have a new home -- Apple Park -- starting in April, though the migration of more than 12,000 workers will take over six months to complete.

Apple's new home, formerly referred to as Campus 2, was given an official name by the company on Wednesday. The facility is not yet completed, as constructions of buildings and parklands will continue through the summer, but by April enough will be done to begin hosting employees for work.

Designed in collaboration with Foster + Partners, Apple Park replaces 5 million square feet of asphalt and concrete with grassy fields, along with over 9,000 drought-resistant, California-native trees.

There will be two miles of walking and running paths for employees, plus an orchard, meadow, and pond, all found within the inside of the massive ring.

It will also be powered by 100 percent renewable energy, featuring 17 megawatts of rooftop solar, making it one of the largest on-site solar energy installations in the world.

Apple said its new facility will also be the world's largest naturally ventilated building, projected to require no heating or air conditioning for nine months of the year.

The building will feature a visitors center with an Apple Store and a cafe open to the public. It will also be home to a 100,000-square-foot fitness center for employees, and a "secure research and development center."

Perhaps the centerpiece of it all, however, will be a theater named for company cofounder Steve Jobs. The 1,000-seat auditorium is situated atop a hill overlooking meadows and the main building, in honor of the company's former chief executive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Knew it! Said it from day one the AC2 was a terrible name. Felt there had to be a name change coming before the ribbon ceremony. Most around here tried to argue with me that AC2 was a good name—the arguments were weak.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 2 of 69
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    This is a major milestone.  Congrats  

And, I'm sure it has been a major distraction as well, trying to manage the business across tens of locations in Cupertino.  I would expect the workflow of the company to improve dramatically over the next couple of years as they settle into their new home  
    doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 69
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    I thought, it would be called SJ Campus or SJ Park.or SJ Apple Park. May be Apple didn't want to be aggressive honoring Steve Jobs due to some might cry out loud. What people forget is Steve Jobs is one who brought back Apple to great from the near death situation.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 4 of 69
    Congratulations to Apple for not only making a truly inspiring building but doing it right as a world leader...100% renewable and intelligent design. Well done.
    radarthekatkamiltonbb-15
  • Reply 5 of 69
    wood1208 said:
    I thought, it would be called SJ Campus or SJ Park.or SJ Apple Park. May be Apple didn't want to be aggressive honoring Steve Jobs due to some might cry out loud. What people forget is Steve Jobs is one who brought back Apple to great from the near death situation.
    I suspect it's because Steve didn't come up with the design the main building (Norman Foster did; Steve wanted a series of buildings for the main structure), unlike his input into the designing of Pixar's main building where he was involved in every detail. And it's Apple's campus, not Steve's. So Apple Park is more fitting. It's a simple name which is always a good thing.
    edited February 2017 radarthekat
  • Reply 6 of 69
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    ireland said:
    Knew it! Said it from day one the AC2 was a terrible name. Felt there had to be a name change coming before the ribbon ceremony. Most around here tried to argue with me that AC2 was a good name—the arguments were weak.
    Gloat much?
    stanthemancrowley
  • Reply 7 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    May I add my congrats to Tim and everyone at Apple for fulfilling yet another of the many Steve Jobs' dreams he was sadly never able to.

Talking of names of places, I will forever have strong emotional ties to certain streets in San Jose namely Infinite Loop and North De Anza Boulevard.  The are my adult equivalents of childhood fantasy locations such as The North Pole and Shangri-La.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 8 of 69
    Has Apple said which teams are moving into this new campus? I thought I read somewhere that Eddy Cue's iCloud team which is spread out right now would all be moving into the current campus.
  • Reply 9 of 69
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    sog35 said:
    They should name it Tim Cook Campus

But for the past year you've been shrieking that Cook is unfit to clean toilets and should be removed from Apple ASAP. Now the campus should be named after him?

edited February 2017 lkruppradarthekatirelandStrangeDaysdoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 69
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Has Apple said which teams are moving into this new campus? I thought I read somewhere that Eddy Cue's iCloud team which is spread out right now would all be moving into the current campus.
    I haven't heard anything, but I do wonder if those who are not moving into the new campus will cause a ruckus over it. I can see some people getting pissed because they have to either stay in the current Apple Campus on Infinite Loop, or are moving from the San Francisco area to the Infinite Loop Campus vs Apple Park. 
  • Reply 11 of 69
    polymnia said:
    ireland said:
    Gloat much?
    Yeah, not much gloating as relieved they didn't name it AC2. Which is where the comment comes from.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    I thought the glass panels would not have any seams?
  • Reply 13 of 69
    macxpress said:
    I haven't heard anything, but I do wonder if those who are not moving into the new campus will cause a ruckus over it. I can see some people getting pissed because they have to either stay in the current Apple Campus on Infinite Loop, or are moving from the San Francisco area to the Infinite Loop Campus vs Apple Park. 
    Yeah I'm sure some employees will be bummed if they don't move to the new campus. That New Yorker article on Jony Ive said said the design teams would be occupying parts of the 4th floor in the new campus.
  • Reply 14 of 69
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The building will feature a visitors center with an Apple Store and a cafe open to the public.
    I’m there dude. Already planning the trip to Cupertino.
    robin huberdoozydozenjax44
  • Reply 15 of 69
    If any building in the world better represents an "infinite loop" I'd like to see it. THIS building should receive the old 1 Infinite Loop name and the place where they do new product reveals should be called the Steve Jobs Theater/Pavilion.

EDIT:  Well, I guess they already went forward on that last idea.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 16 of 69
    Spaceship in quotes is right. Ever seen any real spaceship that looks anything like the new Apple HQ? NO! The main building is more like a giant Aerobie.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 17 of 69
    If any building in the world better represents an "infinite loop" I'd like to see it. THIS building should receive the old 1 Infinite Loop name and the place where they do new product reveals should be called the Steve Jobs Theater/Pavilion.
    There's a logic to that thinking, but it does not feel right.

edited February 2017
  • Reply 18 of 69
    Spaceship in quotes is right. Ever seen any real spaceship that looks anything like the new Apple HQ? NO! The main building is more like a giant Aerobie.
    The quotes are because Steve Jobs mentioned that word in the introduction in the video.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 19 of 69
    ireland said:
    There's a logic to that thinking, but it does not feel right.

Turns out they did name the theater after Jobs, but 1 Infinite Loop remains secure at the old address.
  • Reply 20 of 69
    I don't know, Apple Park seems kind of generic to me. like XYZ Industrial Park. Maybe, because of its shape, AP might begin to be called Apple Pie informally.