Apple's 'spaceship' Campus 2 to officially be known as Apple Park, 175-acre HQ to open in ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:
    If any building in the world better represents an "infinite loop" I'd like to see it. THIS building should receive the old 1 Infinite Loop name and the place where they do new product reveals should be called the Steve Jobs Theater/Pavilion.
    There's a logic to that thinking, but it does not feel right.

Turns out they did name the theater after Jobs, but 1 Infinite Loop remains secure at the old address.
    Turns out? You're commenting on this story. The does not feel right bit was me talking about renaming the new building to 1 Infinite Loop. The old build has had the name too long for it to make sense at this juncture.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 22 of 69
    Would you dare say too simple?
    I don't know, Apple Park seems kind of generic to me.
  • Reply 23 of 69
    This is a good name for the new campus considering the building looks like a stadium.
    To get a sense of the scale of the new HQ I pulled up AT&T Park and Apple Park in Apple Maps.
    You could fit all of AT&T Park which seats approximately 42,000 people inside the new campus with plenty of room to spare!

edited February 2017 irelandalcstarheel
  • Reply 24 of 69
    ireland said:
    Apple Park seems static, whereas 1 Infinite Loop suggests action (even if traveling in a loop basically traps one into repetition).
  • Reply 25 of 69
    ireland said:
    Apple Park seems static, whereas 1 Infinite Loop suggests action (even if traveling in a loop basically traps one into repetition).
    That's a way of looking at it. But it's not how I feel. Apple Park to me sounds clean and classic. Understated, even. Modern. It's nice. I was hoping for something along these lines. I suspect it's just that you are not used to the name yet.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 26 of 69
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    I know it's not the true equivalent, but I immediately thought of Xerox Parc when reading the headline, then story.
  • Reply 27 of 69
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    macxpress said:
    Has Apple said which teams are moving into this new campus? I thought I read somewhere that Eddy Cue's iCloud team which is spread out right now would all be moving into the current campus.
    I haven't heard anything, but I do wonder if those who are not moving into the new campus will cause a ruckus over it. I can see some people getting pissed because they have to either stay in the current Apple Campus on Infinite Loop, or are moving from the San Francisco area to the Infinite Loop Campus vs Apple Park. 
    Yeah I'm sure some employees will be bummed if they don't move to the new campus. That New Yorker article on Jony Ive said said the design teams would be occupying parts of the 4th floor in the new campus.
    I'm surprised that Ive's team would be in the main building.  I would have thought they would have been in those separate R&D buildings, purposely separated for security reasons.   

As far as the employees are concerned, I'm sure there are some who will be bummed they're not moving to Apple Park since that's where I assume the senior management team is going to be as well as all the excitement of being in something new.  On the other hand, as I've posted before, there are sometimes many advantages to being a bit less visible and I bet it's going to be a lot easier to enter/leave Infinite Loop than the new campus.  It looks to me like going out for lunch would be near impossible at Apple Park.   Some people might prefer it at the old campus, especially if there turns out to be problems with the new campus during the shake-down period.    I still predict traffic jams at the Apple Park, although I hope I'm wrong and Apple got it exactly right.  Getting ventilation and HVAC aligned properly is always a problem.    The company I consult for moved to a new facility in December and they're still getting complaints about the space from employees. 

And if Apple is going to move everyone who is in ancillary space into the old campus, those employees will probably be happier.   
  • Reply 28 of 69
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    lkrupp said:
    The building will feature a visitors center with an Apple Store and a cafe open to the public.
    I’m there dude. Already planning the trip to Cupertino.
    Same thing I thought when reading that. Always wanted to visit 1 Infinite Loop.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    That's a way of looking at it. But it's not how I feel. Apple Park to me sounds clean and classic. Understated, even. Modern. It's nice. I was hoping for something along these lines. I suspect it's just that you are not used to the name yet.
    I'm not used to it yet. Also, "Infinite Loop" was a clever play on a programming term. A park is just a park.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    "Apple Park" makes me think of "Xerox PARC" -- the famous organization that inspired some early Apple products.
    SpamSandwichStrangeDays
  • Reply 31 of 69
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    I'm not used to it yet. Also, "Infinite Loop" was a clever play on a programming term. A park is just a park.
    Except when it has the word Apple in front of it and immediately conjures images of this thing. Which is what it will do for you, in a New York minute.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 32 of 69
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    Except when it has the word Apple in front of it and immediately conjures images of this thing. Which is what it will do for you, in a New York minute.
    Meh. Remember when the words iPod and Macintosh were interesting because they were a new spin on familiar terms? That's what's lacking here. There's no thought to the name beyond the very obvious. Apple Park. Obvious. Apple Watch. Obvious.
    tyler82
  • Reply 33 of 69
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    Meh. Remember when the words iPod and Macintosh were interesting because they were a new spin on familiar terms? That's what's lacking here. There's no thought to the name beyond the very obvious. Apple Park. Obvious. Apple Watch. Obvious.
    You're overlooking the all-important aspect of simplicity. You want it to have "important, bold name" when the place speaks for itself. Apple Park works for me.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 34 of 69
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    You're overlooking the all-important aspect of simplicity. You want it to have "important, bold name" when the place speaks for itself. Apple Park works for me.
    In any event, it is what it is now.
  • Reply 35 of 69
    What happens to the park at the center when they open the Stargate?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 36 of 69
    Apple Park is the perfect name. Its simplicity and versatility allows for projective interpretations from different perspectives; for many people (e.g. consumers) it will likely invoke a pleasant feeling associated with strolling through a city/town park (nature + socialization + sense of community), and for others it will have more of a 'research park' association. Apple is having its cake and eating it too.

I'm so excited that Apple has a visitors center and cafe. I can't wait to visit.
  • Reply 37 of 69
    What happens to the park at the center when they open the Stargate?
    It splits in half like a giant clam and opens for interstellar travel.
  • Reply 38 of 69
    Apple Park is the perfect name. Its simplicity and versatility allows for projective interpretations from different perspectives; for many people (e.g. consumers) it will likely invoke a pleasant feeling associated with strolling through a city/town park (nature + socialization + sense of community), and for others it will have more of a 'research park' association. Apple is having its cake and eating it too.

I'm so excited that Apple has a visitors center and cafe. I can't wait to visit.
    I don't think tourists will be able to just wander about on the campus.
  • Reply 39 of 69

I don't think tourists will be able to just wander about on the campus.
    And most people won't ever want to.* It's about the association and feeling. The name evokes a positive feeling (from a large range of people) of the campus, and by extension, Apple as a company. It's a very versatile name.

*I, on the other hand, would love to stroll through, and I plan to get as far as I can before being tackled by Apple security. :D
    SpamSandwichireland
  • Reply 40 of 69
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ronn said:
    lkrupp said:
    The building will feature a visitors center with an Apple Store and a cafe open to the public.
    I’m there dude. Already planning the trip to Cupertino.
    Same thing I thought when reading that. Always wanted to visit 1 Infinite Loop.
    It's a nice place. There are signs that warn you parking is for "official Apple business" and infinite Loop is a "private road". Bought some overpriced Apple logo'd stuff in the Apple Store including a "I visited the mothership" tshirt. I want a tshirt that has a picture of Apple Park with those words as well. 
    ronn