Rumor: 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models might not arrive until May

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2017
A questionable report out of East Asia on Friday claims Apple is taking longer than expected to bring two large format iPads to market -- a 12.9-inch iPad Pro revamp and a new 10.5-inch version -- with both models now said to launch in May at the earliest.

Citing supply chain sources, DigiTimes reports Apple's 10.5- and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models will likely ship out to customers in May or June, and not during the first quarter as initially expected. The same publication first warned of potential iPad launch delays in January

Earlier this week, however, Japanese blog Mac Otakara, citing unnamed sources, said Apple plans to unveil a trio of new iPad models at a special event in March.

Specifically, the company is rumored to announce a second-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro, a new 10.5-inch model, a cheaper 9.7-inch variant expected to replace iPad Air 2 and, curiously, a refreshed 7.9-inch iPad mini. Sources claimed the new iPad models would ship shortly after the March event save for the 10.5-inch iteration, which might be delayed until May.

Rumblings of a new 10.5-inch iPad Pro first surfaced in August when KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted the device would replace the current 9.7-inch iPad Pro as Apple's flagship tablet. More recent rumors suggest the 10.5-inch tablet might arrive without side bezels, a design choice that could allow Apple to squeeze a larger display into a device with dimensions similar to the 9.7-inch iPad Pro.

While reports disagree on a launch timeline for the supposed 10.5-inch iPad Pro, Apple and its reseller network are experiencing stockouts of the largest 12.9-inch model. The tablet, unveiled in September 2015, is long overdue for a refresh.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Even with mature products that see little to no growth we still get unverifiable rumours that Apple will miss deadlines that only existed on tech forums. :sigh:
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    If Apple is supposedly showing a new form factor iPad in a few weeks' time, why have there been no leaks yet? Did Tim finally get around to doubling down on security?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    It doesn't matter to me. I'm not opening my wallet until iMac and Mac Pro are released. I'm not going to get all 3 of these and I want to know the real tradeoffs. I've pretty much decided not to replace my MacBook Pro. 

The thing is, there are hundreds of small things that go into s comparison andthese debices are not cheap. The same goes for the phone, if you buy it outright. (Which saves in the long run 
  • Reply 4 of 9
    hentaiboy said:
    If Apple is supposedly showing a new form factor iPad in a few weeks' time, why have there been no leaks yet? Did Tim finally get around to doubling down on security?
    In the past, we've typically seen shells or molds of shells for new iPad form factors. If the expectation holds true, the 10.5" display is simply a new addition to the 9.7" device form factor.

Unless a display assembly itself leaks, there is no new shell to leak.
  • Reply 5 of 9

It doesn't matter to me. I'm not opening my wallet until iMac and Mac Pro are released. I'm not going to get all 3 of these and I want to know the real tradeoffs. I've pretty much decided not to replace my MacBook Pro. 

The thing is, there are hundreds of small things that go into s comparison andthese debices are not cheap. The same goes for the phone, if you buy it outright. (Which saves in the long run 
    Cool story. iPads are not MacBook Pro replacements for all people. I don't know why true Pro users get confused into thinking that Apple is marketing to them. They aren't.

The iPad replaces the laptop for a huge majority of people that don't need laptops. There are plenty of people that still need laptop/desktop hardware and macOS. Always will be.
    edited February 2017 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I knew it was DigiTimes before I even read it.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    My iPad (version 3) is now pretty much only usable as a portable TV. It goes to the patio with me so I can enjoy the AZ weather and a good cigar.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

Cool story. iPads are not MacBook Pro replacements for all people. I don't know why true Pro users get confused into thinking that Apple is marketing to them. They aren't.

The iPad replaces the laptop for a huge majority of people that don't need laptops. There are plenty of people that still need laptop/desktop hardware and macOS. Always will be.
    I know what you are saying, but I am not sure that iPad replaces a laptop for "a huge majority" of people.  At least, not in more developed countries.  It certainly is a replacement for casual users who have less requirement for text entry.  For example, my mom and parent-in-laws all use iPads, and almost never (or in my mom's case ever) used a home computer before.  For these use cases - email (mostly reading, some sending), photos, web, FaceTime, Facebook, video - it truly is all they need, and is much easier to use than a laptop/computer ever were.  It is the perfect device for them, and those with similar uses.

Again, thinking of the developed countries where PC's are widespread, I believe the iPad is additive.  It has certainly replaced usage of traditional PC's, and introduced new uses (though smartphone drove many of those, not the tablet on its own).  For me, and millions more, it is a great device that "I would not want to do without".  I will always upgrade to a new one eventually - or until something completely new comes along.  But I would not want to rely upon it for my work where I type a lot and prefer a large screen.

In markets where PC's were not as established, then I can see iPad being the only computing device in some cases, but expect for many it is simply smartphone.

StrangeDayswatto_cobra