Apple board member Al Gore sells $29.5M of company stock

Posted:
in AAPL Investors
A U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing on Friday reveals Apple board member Al Gore this week sold 215,437 shares of AAPL stock worth about $29.5 million.

Source: KPCB

Gore's stock sale, which was accomplished in multiple trades ranging from $136.4 to $137.12 on Wednesday, nearly matches a $29.6 million purchase of AAPL shares made in 2013.

When Gore bought the stock batch more than four years ago, he exercised Apple's director stock option to acquire 59,000 shares at a price of about $7.48 per share, costing him approximately $441,000. This was pre-split AAPL, so shares were valued at $502.68 each.

Following today's sale, Gore owns 230,137 shares of Apple stock worth $31.5 million at the end of trading on Friday.

The former U.S. vice president turned environmental activist was appointed to Apple's board in 2003.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    Money, money, money.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 60
    He's broke, he thought he'd be collecting carbon tax royalties by now.
    thewhitefalconmacseekerwatto_cobrawilliamlondonpatchythepirateSpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 60
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    He's broke, he thought he'd be collecting carbon tax royalties by now.
    No, he wont, the bluff has been called, and he is opting out!
    watto_cobrawilliamlondonSpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 60
    As a long time shareholder I'm sure glad to see my shares being diluted by this guy. What has he done for the company?  You'd a thought he would have used his valuable political pull to open up repatriation or something...looks like Trump might be giving us that free of charge.  And who made this jetsetter the environmental expert?  I'm sure his 2¢ on the matter don't add up to half of one. 
    thewhitefalconmacseekerSpamSandwichstompywatto_cobrawilliamlondonpatchythepirateicoco3
  • Reply 5 of 60
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,077member
    Mr. Gore also exercised stock options for 70,000 shares a few weeks ago, paying around $1 million for them. He then sold 70,000 shares for around $9 million. Those options were to expire next month after having been exercisable for 10 years. He still owns around $30 million worth of shares.

Craig Federighi also sold nearly $10 million worth of shares last week.
    baconstangwilliamlondonstanthemanSpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Time to vote Al off the island.  
    williamlondonSpamSandwichbuzdots
  • Reply 7 of 60
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Gore needs to pay the electric bills for his mansions and for the fuel for his private jet.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondonthewhitefalconpatchythepiratebuzdots
  • Reply 8 of 60
    jonagold said:
    As a long time shareholder I'm sure glad to see my shares being diluted by this guy. What has he done for the company?  You'd a thought he would have used his valuable political pull to open up repatriation or something...looks like Trump might be giving us that free of charge.  And who made this jetsetter the environmental expert?  I'm sure his 2¢ on the matter don't add up to half of one. 
    I agree. If Apple wants to have itself marginally insulated from getting shafted in Washington, they need to face the music and get away from their one-sided political views. About half of the US disagrees with the progressive political views of their board. It's unwise to be tunnel visioned.
    rezwitsrotateleftbytewilliamlondondesignrpatchythepiratebuzdots
  • Reply 9 of 60
    He's done little for Apple as far as keeping them ahead of political trends.
    williamlondonpatchythepirate
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Wow, nothing brings out the right-wing nutballs like an Al Gore story...
    dsdSpamSandwichkuduMikeymikelolliverminicoffeeRayz2016larryairelandwilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 60
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Hey.... if it weren't for Al, we wouldn't have the Internet... and no Apple. /s

Seriously, imho Al has been a dead weight on the board.  Does anyone have any info on what Gore has done in the past decade?
    SpamSandwichwilliamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 60
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    sflocal said:

Seriously, imho Al has been a dead weight on the board.  Does anyone have any info on what Gore has done in the past decade?
    Tell us what any other board member has done for Apple in the past decade.

If any of you cynical geniuses had a shred of vision or reason, you would at least consider that Al Gore has had an influence on Apple's policy of maximizing their reliance on renewable energy for their plant wherever possible.
    watto_cobrakuduMikeymikelollivercalilarryawilliamlondonStrangeDayslenaSoli
  • Reply 13 of 60
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    P-DogNC said:
    Wow, nothing brings out the right-wing nutballs like an Al Gore story...
    Yep, the problem is that these guys are virgins, as Steve Jobs warned against being. They haven't taken their acid, and so haven't made the connection between themselves, their behavior, and the environment.

They listened to Nancy Reagan: "Just say no." Poor ignorant bastards.
    larryawilliamlondonStrangeDaysMacsplosiondsdlenamontrosemacs
  • Reply 14 of 60
    jonagold said:
    I agree. If Apple wants to have itself marginally insulated from getting shafted in Washington, they need to face the music and get away from their one-sided political views. About half of the US disagrees with the progressive political views of their board. It's unwise to be tunnel visioned.
    I get the impression that you think that Apple is a company that does business only in the USA. As much as your president might rant and rave on the subject, Apple is a Global player in the business areas that it works in. You may well find that your perceived view that the APPL board is progressive is wrong might be directly opposed to what many other parts of the world might think and believe.
    As a company that does business all over the world do you not think that it might be prudent and wise for the BOD to have a wide and varied crosssection of views presented at Board Meetings? Being only concerned with the USA is IMHO a very bad mistake.
    Just think how many cars made in the USA by GM, Ford and Chrysler are sold in Europe or Asia? What percentage of their total build?
    Then look at the number of cars sold in those markets. By only concentrating on the USA/Canada are they doing the best they can for their shareholders? Are all their plants running a max capacity etc etc etc.
    What I'm trying to say is that the issue is not as black and white as you seem to think it is.
    williamlondonStrangeDaysoimorriganmontrosemacsGeorgeBMacfastasleep
  • Reply 15 of 60
    jonagold said:
    As a long time shareholder I'm sure glad to see my shares being diluted by this guy. What has he done for the company?
    Well, since he was on the board of directors he was actually involved with the management company -- which I bet is more than you did for Apple.

He acted as a representative of you. He helped shape policy that might potentially impact investors like you (and himself). But he's only one of many, and maybe he shared your views but was overruled by everyone else. Do you have any documentation of his opinion on the taxation matter? Any records of votes? Or are you scapegoating one guy because things didn't go the way you liked? Maybe he's not happy with the political commentating the company is doing and that's why he's pulling out his investment.
    edited February 2017 williamlondonmdriftmeyerStrangeDaysoimorrigananantksundaramMacsplosionmontrosemacsfastasleep
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    jonagold said:
    Maybe they're focussing on the progressive half that can adapt to change and so earns the most money. 
    singularitywilliamlondonmdriftmeyerStrangeDaysrobbyxMacsplosionmontrosemacsGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 17 of 60
    Progressive thought is like, where progress comes from, which is like, why it's call progressive (thought).  Progressive thought is huge.

Al Gore is moving to a sustainable home, high up on a Hawaiian island, where he'll be able to watch the North Atlantic current stop and Washington DC get covered in ice.  He knows it's now too late.
    williamlondonspice-boyGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Comments are a mess.
    Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 19 of 60
    sflocal said:

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

StrangeDaysSolifastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 60
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    sflocal said:

I'd be more interested in what you did in the last decade. I at least know who Al Gore is. Steve Jobs also personally picked Al Gore for Apple's board. I wonder why he didn't call you?
    williamlondonmdriftmeyerStrangeDaysdsdSolispice-boyanantksundarammontrosemacsGeorgeBMacfastasleep