Apple declares second-gen Apple TV 'obsolete,' halts most hardware support

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple this week added the second-generation Apple TV to its list of "vintage" and "obsolete" products, rendering it ineligible for repairs in most parts of the world.

The only places where service and parts may still be available are in Turkey and California, where the "vintage" label is in effect, according to an Apple support document. Vintage devices are defined as being made over 5 but less than 7 years ago, and the category typically excludes products from support except where required by law.

In the rest of the world the set-top has been declared "obsolete," which normally refers to products discontinued over 7 years ago.

The second-gen Apple TV is actually a more recent device however, having launched in Sept. 2010 with production ending only in 2012, when the third-gen model went on sale.

The product was a radical re-think of the Apple TV concept, dropping an internal hard drive in favor of streaming from the internet or local network sources. The hardware itself shrank into a small, black case with only 8 gigabytes of internal storage, just enough for the OS and temporary caching.

Apple is already largely distancing itself from the third-gen model, providing minimal updates. A fourth-gen model with support for apps and Siri went on sale in Oct. 2015.

An upcoming fifth-gen device is expected to add 4K resolution support and likely a faster processor to match, but not much else.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ...how does this relate to corporate claims of sustainability...?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 14
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    I have a 2nd gen and 3rd gen Apple TV. There are no problems whatsoever with the 3rd gen unit. It always works every time we turn it on. The 2nd gen unit seems to have some software problems. It loses connection to Apple and has to be restarted to recover. Most of my obsolete Apple products still function as they hit the obsolescence mark with pretty solid software. Guess I have to consider buying a new one and retiring the 2nd gen. It isn't that huge of a deal given the price and how much we got out of it. It has just performed below Apple's standards from my perspective. Now the problem of trying to figure out when the 5th gen will come out and if I should wait for it.
    jetz
  • Reply 3 of 14
    If the last one was sold in 2012, and they are obsolete by the beginning of 2017, is that normal? Less than 5 full years of repair support?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I have one of each generation hooked up in various rooms and all still working fine even if the older ones have less abilities.  Can't complain if an older one dies now I guess but I suspect they'll go on working for a while as long as Apple don't somehow effectively brick them with an remake of their end the older ones can't handle.  That would be sad. 
  • Reply 5 of 14
    bleuPeterbleuPeter Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Oh no! What will I run XBMC/Kodi on now?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    bleuPeter said:
    Oh no! What will I run XBMC/Kodi on now?
    A mini Mac. You can't run newer versions of Kodi on ATV 2 anyway. The ATVs are solid state, have no moving parts, and have no battery to degrade. Other than software getting outdated I don't think there is much to fail on them.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    The current gen AppleTV might as well be vintage too. It really doesn't do anything the old ones don't. Its just a little large with a faster CPU in it that Apple chooses to not even make 4K. Oh, and supports and App Store...wow!
  • Reply 8 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    macxpress said:
    The current gen AppleTV might as well be vintage too. It really doesn't do anything the old ones don't. Its just a little large with a faster CPU in it that Apple chooses to not even make 4K. Oh, and supports and App Store...wow!
    Does every SINGLE one of your fucking posts have to be a troll post?  
    Your suggestion that the apps store is not a big deal is pretty hilarious. It's a massive deal. The new Apple TV also has a complete revamped UI, a new remote, touchpad control, Siri support, Homekit support, the list goes on. What exactly do you need it to do, that it doesn't do? Also, why am I responding to a troll? 
    edited March 2017 lolliverStrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 14
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    macxpress said:
    You are vastly underrating the value of the 4G ATV. The ability to give Siri voice commands is a great step. I use it frequently to search for YouTube videos, toggle close captioning on and off, and fast forward and rewind videos. Apps are no small deal. I was surprised to find, for example, when I switched from the 3G ATV to the 4G that all the major broadcast channels have apps that allow us to watch their programming for free, albeit with commercials. I also liked being able to watch the most recent SpaceX launch live on the NASA app.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    ...how does this relate to corporate claims of sustainability...?
    How does it not, if that's what you're suggesting?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    macxpress said:
     Nonsense. 

- app store, duh. Apps are king on ATV now. 
    - new TV app with SSO from the cable provider
    - siri voice controls. awesome for searching for apps, content, "What did he say?" captions, search fields, and HomeKit
    - touch-scrubbing, which is much, much better than button cycling
    - controller support for games
    - slick tvOS UI 
    - did i mention apps?
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 12 of 14
    HooooopzHooooopz Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I agree with those who say that the fourth generation Apple TV is no small update.  But Apple is definitely missing a lot of low hanging fruit. For one thing, the current Apple TV could easily become competitive with Google home and Alexa. You'd have to use the remote, but you could still have all the same functions,  and maybe they could even build the "hey Siri" feature to work with the remote Mic. Or, it's just a matter of building in a small Mic into the box, and then using Bluetooth sound bar  so you wouldn't need the TV on. A simple software update would immediately put them in the space. But even more obvious to me, why don't I get a notification on my aTV when I get an iMessage or an email? Or an alert that an iCal event is coming up? Even FaceTime would be REALLY easy. That would put them way way way ahead of Alexa  and Google home, and all the parts have been there for years now (it's called iOS, really)  But, if they don't get their butt in gear, I can almost guarantee that cable companies will partner with let's say outlook and Yahoo and start being able to offer all of that functionality through their set top boxes to users of those organizational and communication suites, maybe google too, and when that happens, everyone's place in this space is in grave peril. 
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Still works. Still solid.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    macxpress said:
    Seriously?