Information on first iPad Pro 10.5-inch case allegedly sent to Spanish peripheral distribu...

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2017
A Spanish distributor has allegedly been provided details about a case from an unnamed manufacturer gambling on the imminent release of a new Apple 10.5-inch iPad.

The information tweeted by Twitter user Marc Alonso is heavily redacted, with document titles putting the 10.5-inch size in the iPad Pro line, as expected. Dimensions for the case aren't available, and are said in the graphic to be pending, awaiting a definitive announcement by Apple.

There have been no firm iPad casing leaks, or even much in the way of solid, consistent data about new iPads, other than the diagonal size of the screen.

?Nuevo iPad Pro de 10,5" confirmado?

Acabo de recibir esto...

?\_(ツ)_/? pic.twitter.com/bkOoUxkmMJ

-- Marc Alonso (@MARC_intosh)

Apple is rumored to announce a second-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro, a new 10.5-inch model, a cheaper 9.7-inch variant expected to replace iPad Air 2 and, curiously, a refreshed 7.9-inch iPad mini.

Rumblings of a new 10.5-inch iPad Pro first surfaced in August when predictions emerged that the device would replace the current 9.7-inch iPad Pro as Apple's flagship tablet.

More recent rumors suggest the 10.5-inch tablet might arrive without side bezels, a design choice that could allow Apple to squeeze a larger display into a device with dimensions similar to the 9.7-inch iPad Pro.

While reports disagree on a launch timeline for the supposed 10.5-inch iPad Pro, Apple and its reseller network are experiencing stockouts of the largest 12.9-inch model. The tablet, unveiled in September 2015, is long overdue for a refresh.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Don't case makers do this all the time? Make cases in anticipation of Apple's next device, regardless of the unit being announced or not?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I don’t see the purpose in a 10.5. What does it do that the 10” and 13” can’t?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Agreed. If a new size is introduced, it should compliment the existing line instead of muddling the differences between choices.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Wow, first leak! Does this now mean any March iPad/desktop Mac launch will be late March or even April?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    My understanding is the 10.5" display would fit inside the frame of the existing iPad, essentially replacing the 9.7" Pro.
    mike1
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I played with some of the Android tablets with a 10+ inch screens. Great for video in landscape mode but not nearly as comfortable for reading in portrait mode. Interesting that Samsung went from 10.1/10.5 inch tablets to 9.7 and Apple may be going the reverse.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I can't fathom this bezel stuff. I had a bit of trepidation going from iPad 3 to Air 2 because of the smaller bezels, but Mapple claimed iPad would know difference between holding and other things. But every resting of thumb on screen highlights a word and up pops the action box. Mayhap I just read too much, or am too easily distracted by the window that shouldn't be there. 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    JinTech said:
    Don't case makers do this all the time? Make cases in anticipation of Apple's next device, regardless of the unit being announced or not?
    Yes they do.
    Makes sense if it fits in the same size enclosure. Biggest concerns would be how a case would fit. Right now, many go over the bezels.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Roger Fingas ruminates on the possible pixel density and geometry of a 10.5 display:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/01/12/rumored-105-inch-ipad-may-align-with-dimensions-of-ipad-mini-resolution-of-ipad-pro

I have the feeling they're making the best LCD touchscreen ever. (Best for Apple, that is.) Possibly 3D sensing and AR are also involved, with Pencil integration.