iPad Pro ship dates may hint at Apr. 4 event, likely not at Apple's Steve Jobs Theater

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2017
Apple could be preparing to announce or launch new iPads on Apr. 4, shipping delays for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro suggest, though Apple is unlikely to hold a launch event at Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater as speculated by one website.

U.S. shipping times for the 12.9-inch Pro are now at a widespread 2 to 3 weeks, Apple World Today noted on Tuesday. More significantly in-store pickup dates have been set for Apr. 4 if a particular model isn't already in stock, a timeline verified by AppleInsider.

In recent weeks Apple has been rumored to be planning a March press event with three new iPads, including an updated 12.9-inch variant and a completely new 10.5-inch model. The 9.7-inch format may become Apple's new "budget" option. Many existing 12.9-inch models are out of stock or on back-order.

It is possible that Apple will hold an event later this month and ship in April, or perhaps hold an event on Apr. 4, launching new iPads the same day.

Apple is unlikely to hold any showcase at Apple Park, as rumored by AWT. While the company's new headquarters will open to staff next month, the Steve Jobs Theater is due to open later in 2017.

Apple could conceivably hold a makeshift event at Apple Park, but more likely is a keynote event at its existing 1 Infinite Loop campus or a San Francisco venue like the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts.

Details on the new iPads remain elusive, but it's possible that the 10.5-inch model will minimize or eliminate bezels, enabling a large display without a bigger chassis.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    The odds seem against it, but anyone that makes an absolute claim that it can't be ready because there aren't enough trees in the inner circle, because there's too many tractors a 1/4 mile away, or because there's white paper over the glass of the entryway to the theater aren't thinking it through.
    edited March 2017 mike1
  • Reply 2 of 19
    If shipping time is 2-3 weeks - does that not imply that the new iPads will be announced no later than 3 weeks?
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 3 of 19
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    The odds seem against it, but anyone that makes an absolute claim that it can't be ready because there aren't enough trees in the inner circle, because there's too many tractors a 1/4 mile away, or because there's white paper over the glass of the entryway to the theater aren't thinking it through.
    Its obvious the first event in the new headquarters will be the unveiling of the iPhoneX in September
    Just like when you said it's obvious Tim Cook should be fired?
    retrogustoStrangeDaysireland
  • Reply 4 of 19
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 544member
    I don't know if it's me but I consider the Steve Jobs Theatre (SJT) to be too small. I was expecting 1,500 to 2,000 seats. Since everyone is whipping themselves over the new iPhone (name unknown) for a September unveiling, I think the Steve Jobs Theatre would be too small to hold such event. For now, I don't think the logistics for the new iPads unveiling would happen at the SJT.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    What the lunch room at Apple isn't big enough for a one off event?

• Reply 6 of 19
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    I'm guessing the announcement and shipping will be on the 4th, since it's a Tuesday, and they usually start shipping later in the week unless it's the same day as the announcement (and they tend to announce early in the week either way). 
  • Reply 7 of 19
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    Its obvious the first event in the new headquarters will be the unveiling of the iPhoneX in September
    I disagree. Apple will utilize the new space for whatever unavailing they choose because a 10.5" iPad will be "the best iPad we've ever shipped!" 
  • Reply 8 of 19
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    JinTech said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    I disagree. Apple will utilize the new space for whatever unavailing they choose because a 10.5" iPad will be "the best iPad we've ever shipped!" 
    Well,I don't think any iPhone event will be held there.. They normally do the iPhone event with 2-3 thousand seats.. Steve Jobs Theater can only hold 1000 people. However, the iPad event is smaller, and more likely a shoe-in for the event.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Any one else hoping for a new iPad Mini?    The thought is a better device for travel.   I still haven't convinced my self to buy a giant iPhone for this role.  Must think on this.   
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 19
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    looking forward to new iPads, been wanting to upgrade my 2013 iPad Air to the latest gen for awhile now but can't find a compelling reason to do so. OLED screen, 3D screen, better apple pencil, multiple user profiles...might convince me.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 11 of 19
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    schlack said:
    looking forward to new iPads, been wanting to upgrade my 2013 iPad Air to the latest gen for awhile now but can't find a compelling reason to do so. OLED screen, 3D screen, better apple pencil, multiple user profiles...might convince me.
    I have been wondering if this new 10.5 iPad will be similar to the iPhone8/iPhoneX with an OLED screen.   For all we know it really may be a successor for the iPadAir2 and not the iPadPro.    It could have a great new screen, a new touchID button or an OLED function area but not have support for the Pencil (I thought I read somewhere that the Air2 far outsells the iPadPro in both sizes).   Then the next year(2018 or 2019) we would get the iPadPro with new OLED screen.   (And of course there has to be an option for Matte and Glossy Black).   I could see Apple releasing both an update Air3 with OLED screen and an updated Pro2 with IPS LCD screen in both sizes that leave many wondering which to buy.     Do any of the OLED panels support the P3 color space  and True Tone?    
  • Reply 12 of 19
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    Maybe it's just me, but the iPad seems like a Xmas market device, so if they have something really new in the iPad line to announce, I'd expect them to announce it exactly when they usually do: September, shipping in October. I could see a low-key event with a light refreshing of iPads alongside some new Watch bands this spring, but unless Apple's got a new Mac Pro up their sleeve I can't see Apple throwing away the Q4 sales by announcing new iPads now. If there is to be a spring event, make it something that isn't generally associated with Christmas. Would love to see an update for the MBA (if indeed it's not discontinued) and MBs with real USB-C 3.1 in them this time, for example.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    Just like when you said it's obvious Tim Cook should be fired?
    Just block him like several of us already did. The forum automatically becomes more pleasant.
    mike1SoliSpamSandwich
  • Reply 14 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

macseeker said:
    I don't know if it's me but I consider the Steve Jobs Theatre (SJT) to be too small. I was expecting 1,500 to 2,000 seats. Since everyone is whipping themselves over the new iPhone (name unknown) for a September unveiling, I think the Steve Jobs Theatre would be too small to hold such event.
    Explain why 1,000 seats is too few for an iPhone event?
  • Reply 15 of 19
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    macseeker said:
    I don't know if it's me but I consider the Steve Jobs Theatre (SJT) to be too small. I was expecting 1,500 to 2,000 seats. Since everyone is whipping themselves over the new iPhone (name unknown) for a September unveiling, I think the Steve Jobs Theatre would be too small to hold such event. For now, I don't think the logistics for the new iPads unveiling would happen at the SJT.
    adrayven said:
    JinTech said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    Well,I don't think any iPhone event will be held there.. They normally do the iPhone event with 2-3 thousand seats.. Steve Jobs Theater can only hold 1000 people. However, the iPad event is smaller, and more likely a shoe-in for the event.
    This was the exact reason they built the theatre in the first place...so they could just hold events on their own time in their own place. This gives them all the control they could possibly want when getting a product ready for launch. Right now, they have to rent space in a large facility, which also means now they're held to a timeframe and, they're also far away from the main campus which is what they wanted to avoid when building Apple Park and a theatre. 

The only event they most likely will never have at Apple Park is WWDC which is far too large to hold there. I can see Apple making San Jose the home of WWDC since they have a venue large enough for it and its not too far away. 

Plus, right now they still hold Apple announcements at the current campus. 

And, they don't have to invite as many people as they do to these events. Any media that gets invited should consider it a privilege to be able to go see it live. They will get just as much press coverage for any announcement for 1000 people as they did when 2000 were there. It doesn't take long for things to hit CNN, Ars Technica, WSJ, AppleInsider, MacRumors, CBS News, NBC News, etc. Its not like Apple needs to beg for attention their competitors do. 
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 16 of 19
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    macxpress said:
    macseeker said:
    adrayven said:
    JinTech said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    This was the exact reason they built the theatre in the first place...so they could just hold events on their own time in their own place. This gives them all the control they could possibly want when getting a product ready for launch. Right now, they have to rent space in a large facility, which also means now they're held to a timeframe and, they're also far away from the main campus which is what they wanted to avoid when building Apple Park and a theatre. 

The only event they most likely will never have at Apple Park is WWDC which is far too large to hold there. I can see Apple making San Jose the home of WWDC since they have a venue large enough for it and its not too far away. 

And, they don't have to invite as many people as they do to these events. Any media that gets invited should consider it a privilege to be able to go see it live. They will get just as much press coverage for any announcement for 1000 people as they did when 2000 were there. It doesn't take long for things to hit CNN, Ars Technica, WSJ, AppleInsider, MacRumors, CBS News, NBC News, etc. Its not like Apple needs to beg for attention their competitors do. 
    I seem to recall they were very explicit that the theater was for employee gatherings, seminars, lectures, events, and lastly product reveals. I sincerely doubt Apple is going to start limiting their audiences for their flagship device, the fate of which the entire company rests, just so they can have the launch whenever they want. The last iPhone announcement was held at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium which seats 7,000. The previous event was at the Flint Center which seats 2,300. Add to that, the more Apple products announced at a launch, the more people have to be invited -- the Apple Watch opened up a whole new area of reporters and related fashion professionals, that Macs and iPhones never addressed. Now maybe Apple is planning only to announce one product at a time from now on, but I doubt it. And 1,000 seats is still severely limited for a product that has such massive worldwide interest. 
  • Reply 17 of 19
    mac_128 said:
    macxpress said:
    macseeker said:
    adrayven said:
    JinTech said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:

I seem to recall they were very explicit that the theater was for employee gatherings, seminars, lectures, events, and lastly product reveals. I sincerely doubt Apple is going to start limiting their audiences for their flagship device, the fate of which the entire company rests, just so they can have the launch whenever they want. The last iPhone announcement was held at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium which seats 7,000. The previous event was at the Flint Center which seats 2,300. Add to that, the more Apple products announced at a launch, the more people have to be invited -- the Apple Watch opened up a whole new area of reporters and related fashion professionals, that Macs and iPhones never addressed. Now maybe Apple is planning only to announce one product at a time from now on, but I doubt it. And 1,000 seats is still severely limited for a product that has such massive worldwide interest. 
    When the capacity of the theatre was first announced, it did strike me as small. However, they do seem to have ironed out their streaming issues over the last couple years. I guess anything is possible, and they will save money, time, and effort, as well as allowing new products to remain higher secrecy by having it on campus, but 1000 people does seem very limited.

How many invites do they typically hand out to each media venue? Perhaps they'll want to reduce that number.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    wizard69 said:
    Any one else hoping for a new iPad Mini?    The thought is a better device for travel.   I still haven't convinced my self to buy a giant iPhone for this role.  Must think on this.   
    An update for the Mini is badly needed...   Both the Mini 2 and 4 are both outdated.   It would be reasonable for them to produce a Mini 5 and drop the Mini 2.   Actually, the Mini 2 & 4 differ mostly in the number, the actual devices are very similar.   So, let a Mini 5 take the place of the Mini 4 and drop the price of the Mini 4 by $100-$150.