iTunes video competitor Vudu coming to app for fourth-gen Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Vudu -- Walmart's online video rental and purchase service -- is coming to an app for the fourth-generation Apple TV, according to an engineer with the company.

The app is "in development," the engineer said on the official Vudu forums, while warning that an actual launch date is still in the air. The service's iOS app already offers AirPlay support -- which can push video to an Apple TV -- but a native interface would let users browse content via the Siri Remote, and possibly keep up on shows via Apple's "TV" app.

Vudu has so far made the Apple TV a low priority because Apple policies deter third parties from selling movies and shows directly through iOS and tvOS. To watch Vudu content in the iOS app, people have to pay for it via the Web or an Android device, which will then add videos to a personal library. Otherwise, the iOS app only supports browsing the Vudu catalog.

Walmart frequently promotes Vudu in its stores. The service is nominally a competitor to Apple's iTunes Store, but differentiates itself with things like 4K support, some free ad-supported movies, and the ability to add digital versions of disc purchases to an online locker.

Vudu is also on a wider number of platforms, including Roku, Xbox, PlayStation, Chromecast and some Blu-ray players and smart TVs.

The fourth-gen Apple TV was first released in Oct. 2015. Apple has concentrated mostly on tvOS updates since then, but is expected to put out a fifth-generation model later this year, adding 4K support. It's uncertain if Apple will start offering 4K iTunes video to match -- all current iTunes material tops out at 1080p.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    I think this is great - I have a reasonable library of films in Vudu because of older BD and DVD titles that came with codes that only worked with Vudu (and not iTunes). Newer discs seem to come with codes that work with both, but it'll be nice to access the older titles on my AppleTV.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Since VUDU has stolen so much codes from iTunes this would be a big deal for movie collectors. 

If it supports the TV app it would be HUGE. 
  • Reply 3 of 17
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    This is good news. Vudu's HDX streaming quality beats everything out there including iTunes. 
  • Reply 4 of 17
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    I wonder if this was let out of the bag to ensure Apple didn't refuse the app?
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 5 of 17
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    I reached out to VUDU and they said there was no truth to this rumor. Wasn't one of those "we don't comment", "were looking into it", "nothing to announce at this time" type responses. It was a straight up "no, it's 100% untrue" response 
  • Reply 6 of 17
    foferfofer Posts: 20member
    supadav03 said:
    I reached out to VUDU and they said there was no truth to this rumor. Wasn't one of those "we don't comment", "were looking into it", "nothing to announce at this time" type responses. It was a straight up "no, it's 100% untrue" response 

Call again, and a different customer service rep will tell you something different.  On this front, the CSR's can't be trusted, because they don't really know.  

The source of this new information, "Jake" is an actual VUDU engineer, who has been on the VUDU forum, offering support since 2007, with 800+ posts.  

He didn't say definitively that it's coming out, and didn't give a date (saying he doesn't know) but he did confirm it's being worked on, and I believe him.  Whether or not it will actually see release anytime soon, is another question entirely.
    stompycali
  • Reply 7 of 17
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    cali said:
    Since VUDU has stolen so much codes from iTunes this would be a big deal for movie collectors. 

Stolen? Please explain?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I will vote anything against Amazon Prime. Support Walmart and take revenge against Amazon.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,875member
    It's a pity Amazon hates its customers too much to do something similar. The sooner they realize they must align their interests with their customers interests, the better.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Choices and options are good.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cali said:

Stolen? Please explain?
    Think of it as code market share. 
  • Reply 12 of 17
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    sog35 said:
    supadav03 said:
    who did you speak to? Jake from state farm?

Lol....No, just a rep via twitter. But the  definitiveness of thier statement is why I choose to believe it. This  engineer sounds like the same people who worked for Target saying Apple Pay was coming to the stores.  Sounds bogus to me. 
  • Reply 13 of 17
    freeperfreeper Posts: 77member
    Vudu WAS an iTunes competitor in the iPod era. Walmart actually signed a deal with Microsoft where songs downloaded through them would be played through Windows Media Player, and you could even use Windows Media Player to access their online store. It didn't go so well for them. Apple defeated the combined might of Wal-Mart and Microsoft and it wasn't even close. Now, though, Vudu is just Wal-Mart's attempt to stem losses in their declining DVD rentals and sales. No one can compete with Netflix and Hulu and Amazon when it comes to subscription-based movies. Amazon is only able to do it because they can lose money at it, and Hulu similarly is owned by the content owners themselves ... the movie and TV studios, so they also don't really need to turn a profit. So their only choice is to sell and rent movies. Google the same deal. They can't compete with Netflix and can't afford to lose money like Hulu and Amazon Prime, so they sell and rent movies to, though primarily to be able to offer Android owners the same level of s?ervices that Apple does with iTunes. If iTunes were not available on iOS devices, Google Play Movies and TV would not exist, unless Google decided to add it onto YouTube. I don't know why they bother ... Google Play Movies doesn't make them a bit of revenue. It wasn't that long ago that they were giving away free movies on Google Play every holiday just to let people know that it even existed! They released their to 5 earning movies all time list last week and it was "The Interview" which people bought or rented as some free speech protest against North Korea. That lets you know that not very many people are buying or renting actual movies through them. 

But these days, the competition is between people who have set top box hardware. Apple has Apple TV, Amazon has Fire TV, Roku has Roku, Google has Chromecast and (giggle) twice failed Android TV. (The only Android TV minor success is Nvidia, and it is because they added their own gaming platform on top of Android TV and not because of anything Google did.) Everyone else, including Vudu, is just an app that they HOPE Apple, Amazon and Google will approve. Vudu has been on Android TV indirectly via Chromecast support, but looking at their Play Store stats they don't get very many installs. So maybe getting on tvOS will allow them to make some money. And 4K is not really a differentiator. Amazon Prime, Google Play, Hulu, YouTube and of course Netflix all support 4K and have for some time.. Some of them even support VR by now! So, rather than being an iTunes differentiator, it is just an example of Apple lagging. Of course, since it would make no sense for iTunes to support 4K before tvOS does, as iTunes will only work in iPads and iPhones (obviously no 4K there and for good reason, though some Android 4K phones do exist for some reason, Sony makes one) and Apple TVs, no reason to add software support if the hardware doesn't support it. Ooops, I forgot about PCs and Macs that support 4K and certainly have a large install base. Yeah, but in fairness, I suppose not that many people are watching movies on PCs like they did 10-15 years ago ... thanks to Apple inventing the iPhone and iPad.Still remember those dumb Microsoft commercials that promoted watching DVDs on your bulky laptop, or on your desktop with the (then usually) tiny screen. Good thing Apple crushed that nonsense with mobile devices.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    supadav03 said:
    I just love the vagarities of modern English. To reach out to someone from my country is in some circumstances a sexual act, especially the good old 'reach around'. In this particular case we would say "I rang up VUDU and...."
    Same with a company 'sharing' an ad or something.  The company just released it. They didn't give up anything to someone who had nothing so they are both better off and the world was a better place. Terrible use of the word.
    Look Americans can make a word mean whatever they want it to mean. But I still can point out the vagarities and I am sure there are things we say that make Americans weird out.

So let's not even think about the expression "I'm rooting for you"
    edited March 2017 damn_its_hot
  • Reply 15 of 17
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    This is great! I have hundreds of Vudu movies because of their great Disc-to-Digital program. You can get digital copies of your DVDs and Blu-Rays on Vudu for $5 or less per title. And you can upgrade some DVDs to an HD digital copy. That's the only way to view HD versions of some movies that have yet to come out on Blu-Ray disc (like Flushed Away and Hedwig and the Angry Inch).
  • Reply 16 of 17
    davembelldavembell Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    The VUDU isn't support by Apple TV I get a message a about license... anyone know why ?