Google radically scales back glassy new HQ plans, unveils conventional corporate building ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Alphabet also unloaded Boston Robotics which had the most interesting technology to massage their earnings.

They have fear of missing their numbers now.

edited March 2017 SpamSandwichpscooter63lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 72
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    crowley said:
    Seriously, who cares?
    I care. I happen to find architecture fascinating which is why I look forward to both Duncan Sinfield and Matthew Roberts' drone videos each month. I even know their names from having watched their videos month after month after month.

I care. Having Google create a vaporware illustration that is now nothing like their original plan makes me think less of the company. Still, I can't wait to see drone videos as Google's starts to build their new HQ and I will follow the videos every month for the duration of the build.

I care. I hope that each company will have their own camera crews detailing each step of the build which I also hope they'll put together into a documentary we can stream from their websites.

I care.

I highly doubt that's the reason this article was posted here. 
    1) The reason the article was posted by AI staff was to attract readers to their website.

2) Crowley's question asked who cared, and I replied in the affirmation as one such individual who does care, as well went the extra mile to back up my answers with several reasons why I care.
    lostkiwiStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    badmonk said:
    Alphabet also unloaded Boston Robotics which had the most interesting technology to massage their earnings.

They have fear of missing their numbers now.

I wonder if Ray Kurzweil is still advising them?
  • Reply 24 of 72
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    One thing Google dares not to copy Apple is paying dividends.  Instead it plays gimmicks by renaming itself. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 72
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    The article forgot to mention the satellite company they unloaded as well.

I'm amazed how everyone always goes gaga over everything Google announces and uses that to show how Apple is falling behind. Time and time again Google has proven that they cannot follow through on just about everything they attempt to do. And yet, time and time again, people praise Google whenever they announce something new. You'd think people would learn? What's next? Dissolve "Alphabet" and just go back to being Google?

pscooter63lostkiwiDanielEranpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 72
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    badmonk said:

No sir they did not. Boston Dynamics is still owned by Google. 
    edited March 2017 netmage
  • Reply 27 of 72
    Original concept images - very interesting! Hard to comment of the redesign, as there are no images of the interior. I'll save my invaluable judgement for the time those are revealed.
    randominternetpersonpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 72
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    JinTech said:
    One would think they would go solar, kinda like the Apple Park, but I guess, Apple as always is several steps ahead.

That was my first thought, but their roof not only incorporate solar cells, it also collects rain water, likely for some economic purpose.
    cornchip
  • Reply 29 of 72
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Google took one look at Apple Park and realized they couldn’t compete on that scale.
    caliwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 30 of 72
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    I'm pretty sure this is just Google's marketing strategy. Talk big, deliver little.
    calilostkiwiwatto_cobrapropodcornchip
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Google should try cutting back on free gormet meals, a workplace is not feel-good social center or playground.
    Problem is that most employees now expect this or they'll just job hop down the road.  
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 72
    Google is right to scale back their plans.  The Apple Park spaceship is going to be a money pit for decades to come.  Imagine just the cost of building and maintaining this structure must be astronomical  Who cares if they have the largest curves pieces of glass.  What they should care about is how much it costs.  All this other touchy-feely crap for employees,  I hope they come to work and get actual work done.  Sorry Mr Cook,  not a wise allocation of capital.    
    avon b7
  • Reply 33 of 72
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    crowley said:
    Seriously, who cares?  The worth of a company is not measured by its HQ architecture or profligacy.

if you think this is a sign that Google is in trouble then you're as nuts as anyone who would think Apple were in trouble given the same news.

Google are fine, Apple are fine, and this Draco-Balboa grudge match the tech press wants to forment is non-existent. They're healthy competitors, and they push each other to be better. Be grateful for that.
    Giggle in no fucking way pushes Apple to be better. Apple don't give a shit what that spyware company is doing. 
    lkrupppatchythepiratewatto_cobrapropod
  • Reply 34 of 72
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Soli said:
    Google should try cutting back on free gormet meals, a workplace is not feel-good social center or playground.
    Any reason you think it's more productive to feel-bad at work?

I'd think less stress, which includes worrying about preparing meals for the day and being able to work longer hours because a decent meal is easily accessible, would be beneficial to productivity.
    Agreed. When you take care of your employees they feel respected and cared for and will actually be more productive as a result. When moral is low, people feel less inclined to give work their greatest. 
    lostkiwinetmageapple jockey
  • Reply 35 of 72
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Google is right to scale back their plans.  The Apple Park spaceship is going to be a money pit for decades to come.  Imagine just the cost of building and maintaining this structure must be astronomical  Who cares if they have the largest curves pieces of glass.  What they should care about is how much it costs.  All this other touchy-feely crap for employees,  I hope they come to work and get actual work done.  Sorry Mr Cook,  not a wise allocation of capital.    
    Renewable energy and no need for cooling 9 months of the year. 

Expensive!!
    lostkiwiRayz2016patchythepirateStrangeDaysnetmagewatto_cobrapropod
  • Reply 36 of 72
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Right... You do know Apple's employees are housed in very expensive shit they're renting all over the valley right now....
    In fact this complex is probably in the long run LESS expensive and much more productive than what they were using before.

Since design is a core part of Apple, the building itself is fully representative of its ethos.

Also,
    This building is Jobs fucking baby. You're last comment shows me your actual agenda here.
    Jobs and Apple designed this building when the company was 5 times smaller than now.

If anything, this complex's ambitions are way too small.

Considering this building is filled with engineers in the 150-200K a year bracket. so the amount paid in salaries to people in this building and the surrounding ones is likely  at least $2 Billion dollar a year, the maintenance costs of this thing compared to other expenses is ridiculously low once you've eliminated all those that would be paid no matter where they were for these people.

Considering this building and amenities is basically a great recruiting tool for the company, the actual cost is even lower.

So, you can cut the ill informed Cook bashing and slink back to your cave.

edited March 2017 lostkiwiDanielEranradarthekattmaymjtomlinpatchythepirateStrangeDaysnetmagewatto_cobraapple jockey
  • Reply 37 of 72
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    JinTech said:
    Soli said:
    Any reason you think it's more productive to feel-bad at work?

I'd think less stress, which includes worrying about preparing meals for the day and being able to work longer hours because a decent meal is easily accessible, would be beneficial to productivity.
    Agreed. When you take care of your employees they feel respected and cared for and will actually be more productive as a result. When moral is low, people feel less inclined to give work their greatest. 
    Excellent points. My comment wasn't even getting into the deeper aspects of how to best motivate employees and increase morale.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    cali said:
    Renewable energy and no need for cooling 9 months of the year. 

Expensive!!
    Unlike google they collect free rainwater to flush their toilets.../s
  • Reply 39 of 72
    Porat! Financial Trimmings of Google for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Alphabet.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 72
    Original concept images - very interesting! Hard to comment of the redesign, as there are no images of the interior. I'll save my invaluable judgement for the time those are revealed.
    There's a link to additional renderings, but most are of the outside and not very exciting. The interior / Green Loop renderings mostly portray lots of fictitious people http://www.mv-voice.com/news/2017/03/07/tonight-decision-time-for-googles-futuristic-campus
    Soliwatto_cobra