Tips: How to take screenshots from a fourth generation Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2019
Sometimes, you've just got to get proof of the high score you just got on that Apple TV game, or if you're like us, you've got to take a screenshot to show something off. AppleInsider shows you how to take screenshots from your fourth-generation Apple TV without breaking out the camera.

The fourth generation Apple TV has a USB-C port. Apple says it's for troubleshooting, with the company or the Apple TV itself instructing the user to plug the device into a computer running iTunes. We're going to use it to allow Xcode or QuickTime to connect to the device, facilitating capture.

If you've got most any Mac, you need a USB-A to USB-C cable, like a $11 10-foot one available on Amazon. The 2016 MacBook Pro needs a USB-C to USB-C cable. Connect the Apple TV to the "host" computer.

If you don't already have a free Apple developer's account, sign up for one. Next, download and install Xcode.

Pull down the Window menu in Xcode, and select Devices.

If all goes well, you'll see the Apple TV under "Devices" in the upper left hand corner of the window. Click Apple TV once. This will bring up an assortment of information about the device, plus give you a Take Screenshot button.

There won't be a preview on the Mac's screen. Every time you click on Take Screenshot, you'll hear the camera shutter noise from your computer, and the captured image will pop up on your desktop!

Alternatively, you can open QuickTime, select File > New Movie Recording and tap on the source selector, represented by an upside-down caret symbol next to the record button. Select Apple TV from the dropdown menu to reveal a live video feed from the set-top.

QuickTime can be used to record both video and audio. Screenshots can be taken using the usual screen capture technique: Command + Shift + 4 then Space and click on the open QuickTime window.
retrogustoTomSawyer

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Thanks, this is an awesome article. I've been trying to get a screen recording from AppleTV for a long time. I used a USB-C cable to connect to a 2016 MacBook Pro, and the Quicktime screen recording tip is brilliant.
    TomSawyer
  • Reply 2 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    6toecat said:
    Thanks, this is an awesome article. I've been trying to get a screen recording from AppleTV for a long time. I used a USB-C cable to connect to a 2016 MacBook Pro, and the Quicktime screen recording tip is brilliant.
    I assume this set up still fully supports all digital copyright protocols.  If you were to record a movie from iTunes rental for example it would still expire after the time was up surely.  I can't see Apple having a backdoor in their set up.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    MacPro said:
    6toecat said:
    I assume this set up still fully supports all digital copyright protocols.  If you were to record a movie from iTunes rental for example it would still expire after the time was up surely.  I can't see Apple having a backdoor in their set up.
    Would it not even work or just show up as null/black image, like if you try to take a screenshot of even a Netflix video in from the browser that has HDCP enabled?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    First, there have to be games worth taking high score screenshots of.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Very good unless you have a desktop Mac in another room.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member

If you've got most any Mac, you need a USB-A to USB-C cable, like a $11 10-foot one available on Amazon. The 2016 MacBook Pro needs a USB-C to USB-C cable

This is great.

Our 2016 MacBook Pros came with a USB-C to USB-C cable--it's the power cord. As long as this cord is a normal one that also supports data, this should work. The new LG 4K display also came with one.
  • Reply 7 of 10

If you've got most any Mac, you need a USB-A to USB-C cable, like a $11 10-foot one available on Amazon. The 2016 MacBook Pro needs a USB-C to USB-C cable

This is great.

Our 2016 MacBook Pros came with a USB-C to USB-C cable--it's the power cord. As long as this cord is a normal one that also supports data, this should work. The new LG 4K display also came with one.
    The power cord with the 2016 Mac Book Pro does not support data. You need a USB-C to USB-C cable, that's what I used. I bet the cable that came with the LG 4K display supports data however.
    edited March 2017 retrogusto
  • Reply 8 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    6toecat said:
    Would it not even work or just show up as null/black image, like if you try to take a screenshot of even a Netflix video in from the browser that has HDCP enabled?
    I've no idea, I've not tried, it was just academic curiosity.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    MacPro said:
    6toecat said:
    My guess is it wouldn't work. A long time ago, I tried to take a screenshot of a movie I had playing using DVD Player on my MacBook. The resulting screenshots were just plain gray. If Apple was doing that back then, I'm sure the same would be done using this method. 
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Copy protected content will record audio, but video is a black screen (your Netflix and your Hulu). Content that isn't copy protected records just fine (your BBC iPlayer, etc). It makes massive files, though. Like 1gb per ten minutes.