Analyst predicts weak demand for Samsung Galaxy S8, suggests focusing on Apple OLED 'iPhon...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    Considering the iPhone 8 is  over a year away and the 7s is also going to be very similar to the 7, is a wash.
    people will move to the iPhone 7s this year because it's a better and more secure OS. Samsung and all android for that matter will decline this year based solely on people finally security seriously.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 60
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    lkrupp said:
    If analysts are wrong about Apple then it stands to reason they are wrong about Samsung too. I mean, with articles like “Why Samsung’s exploding phones make me want even more to purchase the Galaxy 8” (the logic being new Samsung phones will be super safe because Samsung tested the crap out of then), well, what can I say. C|net and Brian (the Twink) Tong will be hard selling it bigtime.
    Korean company executives get bonuses for pushing featurecreep. Just imagine if Apple worked the same way. There would be 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife app.

Like, I would keep far away from Samsung's "smart" devices, and LG's, and Google's, hell I would keep away from all Android devices period because they all featurecruft in ways that are disturbing and waste battery life. 

I would much rather have a 4" iPhone that lasts 12 hours than a 6" iphone that lasts 4 hours. If you have to make it thicker, please do that. 

OLED's would only let apple make it half a mm thinner and save no power.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    cali said:
    bitmod said:
    S8 won't have much new. Iris scanner? Saw it in the Note 7. Bixby? Who'd use a Samsung proprietary voice assistant when they have Google already built in to Android? Curved edge screen? Already proven useless by the S7 Edge. Fingerprint sensor on the back? Great location next to the camera lens (smudges) and not particularly good for mobile payments.

Samsung, like all Android vendors, is limited in terms of what they can announce. We already know what's in Android Nougat, so no surprises there. That leaves them with useless hardware gimmicks to try and separate themselves from all the other Abdroid vendors running the same commodity OS.

I don't see the S8 doing well.
    The same or more technology as Apple for half the price - will always see competitors doing well. Software advantages are slowly becoming irrelevant.
    At this point it's all useless hardware gimmicks, for everyone.

What consumers want is: solid build, waterproof, longer battery, better camera, longer battery, and a longer battery.
    What we see is: thinner, battery gimmicks, other gimmicks, more battery gimmicks.

If they released the iPhone Phatt - 2mm thicker and 5x the battery life. Guess what would sell the most of any phone ever!
    Yes iPhone Phatt would sell the most ever because iPhone 7 only broke sales records. 

Hold the phone Tim Cook!! A poster on AI has a brilliant idea of an iPhone that would sell the most ever(like iPhone 7)!!!!
    But we must not forget that iPhone 7 only broke records because Apple listened to its customers and released a Plus version. Something that was considered unnecessary at Apple until the famous marketing slide "we don't have what our customers want".

As we enter the smartphone comfort zone where most mid and high end units compete with similar features and are 'good' enough' even for the pickiest users, the focus might switch to other areas such as design (colours, finishing etc), basic use (call quality, signal strength, less drift, of course battery life and price. You might hit on the colour of the year and have a hit.

This could lead to 'phat' phones but they would still be 'phin' by most people's standards or battery tech might take another jump and allow us to get through an entire day with moderate to intense use.

Battery problems are being mitigated by ultra fast charging and smart cities. I happen to work in one and charging points are popping up everywhere. (trains, buses, shopping centres, toilets etc).
  • Reply 44 of 60
    avon b7 said:
    S8 won't have much new. Iris scanner? Saw it in the Note 7. Bixby? Who'd use a Samsung proprietary voice assistant when they have Google already built in to Android? Curved edge screen? Already proven useless by the S7 Edge. Fingerprint sensor on the back? Great location next to the camera lens (smudges) and not particularly good for mobile payments.

Samsung, like all Android vendors, is limited in terms of what they can announce. We already know what's in Android Nougat, so no surprises there. That leaves them with useless hardware gimmicks to try and separate themselves from all the other Abdroid vendors running the same commodity OS.

Having used both front and back scanners I would always prefer the back. It's a question of preference but for me it feels far more natural and on my current phone I never ever touch the lens protection by accident. Both are aligned at top centre with the scanner right below the camera. The scanner is slightly recessed. My index finger slips nicely into the recess and is perfect for one handed operation.

How many mobile payment terminals have you actually used? And which way do you orient your phone? Many terminals I use my iPhone at would be more difficult with a rear scanner.

How do you unlock your phone when it's sitting on your desk (I do this countless times a day at work)? Or if it's in a car dock? Or any kind of dock? Or charging on a wireless pad (that Android users claim
    is so amazing)?
    I have never bothered with mobile payment terminals although I have access to them. I use my card about twice a week with my phone with me. There are three or four other times a week (local supermarkets) where I just take the card and leave the phone at home. So, at the moment I just use my card exclusively.

I only unlock my phone when I want to use it. In that case it's better to have it in my hand. If I want to check the screen for notifications, there is a side button I can use.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    What's interesting about the 6GB RAM being only for China is Huawei's CEO being negative about that amount RAM. He promoted OS optimization and referenced iOS requiring less RAM than Android. Seeing Samsung, others use RAM as a selling point could backfire this year if customers complain the extra RAM does not increase the performance of Android.
    Yes. They are shipping 6GB in some regions and 4GB in others. I think this is a mistake but the P10 4GB is supposed to give you the same user experience as 6GB through machine learning and AI optimization. This will have to be validated in real world use. A far greater mistake is the rebranding of some phones with names very similar to other models. The P8 Lite 2017 for example.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    pk22901pk22901 Posts: 153member
    qwwera said:
    Considering the iPhone 8 is  over a year away...
    How about 7 months (October) at most?
  • Reply 47 of 60
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    avon b7 said:
    cali said:
    bitmod said:

The same or more technology as Apple for half the price - will always see competitors doing well. Software advantages are slowly becoming irrelevant.

What consumers want is: solid build, waterproof, longer battery, better camera, longer battery, and a longer battery.
    What we see is: thinner, battery gimmicks, other gimmicks, more battery gimmicks.

If they released the iPhone Phatt - 2mm thicker and 5x the battery life. Guess what would sell the most of any phone ever!
    Yes iPhone Phatt would sell the most ever because iPhone 7 only broke sales records. 

Hold the phone Tim Cook!! A poster on AI has a brilliant idea of an iPhone that would sell the most ever(like iPhone 7)!!!!
    But we must not forget that iPhone 7 only broke records because Apple listened to its customers and released a Plus version. Something that was considered unnecessary at Apple until the famous marketing slide "we don't have what our customers want".

As we enter the smartphone comfort zone where most mid and high end units compete with similar features and are 'good' enough' even for the pickiest users, the focus might switch to other areas such as design (colours, finishing etc), basic use (call quality, signal strength, less drift, of course battery life and price. You might hit on the colour of the year and have a hit.

This could lead to 'phat' phones but they would still be 'phin' by most people's standards or battery tech might take another jump and allow us to get through an entire day with moderate to intense use.

Battery problems are being mitigated by ultra fast charging and smart cities. I happen to work in one and charging points are popping up everywhere. (trains, buses, shopping centres, toilets etc).

The Plus size phone was always on the cards. Apple simply applied the usual formulae before releasing it:

Make sure the technology is ready. There is no point releasing a large screen phone if quality is bad and you cannot make enough to meet demand. 

Don't release the phone hone until you see the sales of the current model begin to flatten. 

Did you you know the iPad was created before the iPhone? Apple didn't release it because they that the technology needed to improve or it would dead on arrival. 

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 60
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:
    cali said:
    bitmod said:

The Plus size phone was always on the cards. Apple simply applied the usual formulae before releasing it:

Make sure the technology is ready. There is no point releasing a large screen phone if quality is bad and you cannot make enough to meet demand. 

Don't release the phone hone until you see the sales of the current model begin to flatten. 

Did you you know the iPad was created before the iPhone? Apple didn't release it because they that the technology needed to improve or it would dead on arrival. 

If it were always on the cards, marketing would never have included that slide. Large screens were available ánd there were no technical reasons to hold it back.

Samsung simply added the Note line to its range because there was demand for it. Apple simply said that it wasn't the way to go.
  • Reply 49 of 60
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    cali said:
    I'm surprised people ar actually buying these garbage iKnockoffs. 
    Yeah competition is such a bad thing. If only we could outlaw any phone not named iPhone.
    Over exaggerate much?

Competition is great.  But let's not forget how these "competitors" got here in the first place...copying.
    edited March 2017 watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 50 of 60
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    avon b7 said:

Having used both front and back scanners I would always prefer the back. It's a question of preference but for me it feels far more natural and on my current phone I never ever touch the lens protection by accident. Both are aligned at top centre with the scanner right below the camera. The scanner is slightly recessed. My index finger slips nicely into the recess and is perfect for one handed operation.

How many mobile payment terminals have you actually used? And which way do you orient your phone? Many terminals I use my iPhone at would be more difficult with a rear scanner.

How do you unlock your phone when it's sitting on your desk (I do this countless times a day at work)? Or if it's in a car dock? Or any kind of dock? Or charging on a wireless pad (that Android users claim
    is so amazing)?

Agree with all of your great points as they relate to real-world use and not marketing. 

To me the reason why Samsung chose the back of the phone for the scanner is obvious...they committed to an all-screen design for the S8 (once the rumors about the next iPhone started floating around) and couldn't figure out how to use embedded fingerprint technology the way Apple did.  I'm sure once they figure out how to copy that feature you won't see the scanner on the back.  Samsung gonna be Samsung.
    edited March 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 60
    The S8 looks like a Note 7 on steroids, doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table.

The only reason I'd take a look is if they take seriously making this a Chromebook like device with a dock add-on ala the rumoured DEX.

• Reply 52 of 60
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    bitmod said:

My how history repeats itself. What you are advocating for specs, specs, specs. What Apple exceeds at -- things that work well, usually due to software in at least a large part. 

Hardware specs alone don't deliver equal value. 
    tmaywatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 53 of 60
    cali said:
    I'm surprised people ar actually buying these garbage iKnockoffs. 
    Yeah competition is such a bad thing. If only we could outlaw any phone not named iPhone.
    You're making a strawman argument. He never claimed that, you did. (update: at the the time of your post anyway. he replied back to you with "I would!")

I find your constant annoyance with apple fans here, an apple site, curious. if only there were a word for it....
    edited March 2017 watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 54 of 60
    avon b7 said:
    cali said:
    bitmod said:

You're conveniently ignoring what Ive said in the New Yorker profile -- that they had been testing the larger sizes since the 4, but they were too thick and thus unwieldy. Only until they got the design slimmed down in the 6 did he feel comfortable doing a larger size. That slide doesn't contradict this. 

"Before the end of the year, prototype ancestors of the iPhone 6 were lined up in the studio, with screen sizes at “every point-one of an inch, from four all the way through to well over six.” (Earlier, the studio had designed a larger iPhone based on the architecture of the iPhone 4, but, as Ive recalled, it was “clunky” and “uncompelling.”)"
    edited March 2017 tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 60
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

is so amazing)?
    I have never bothered with mobile payment terminals although I have access to them. I use my card about twice a week with my phone with me. There are three or four other times a week (local supermarkets) where I just take the card and leave the phone at home. So, at the moment I just use my card exclusively.

I only unlock my phone when I want to use it. In that case it's better to have it in my hand. If I want to check the screen for notifications, there is a side button I can use.

Nice spin. Sensor on the back is inferior. Some people who don't really use their phones as much might not notice it, but it's still inferior. I use my iPhone for close to $2,000 and 100+ transactions a month. If you're happy with the severe limitations of only looking at notifications, then that's fine. Some of us like to actually use our devices when they're on our desk.
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 56 of 60
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    pk22901 said:
    qwwera said:
    Considering the iPhone 8 is  over a year away...
    How about 7 months (October) at most?
    Nope
  • Reply 57 of 60
    avon b7 said:
    cali said:
    bitmod said:

You're conveniently ignoring what Ive said in the New Yorker profile -- that they had been testing the larger sizes since the 4, but they were too thick and thus unwieldy. Only until they got the design slimmed down in the 6 did he feel comfortable doing a larger size. That slide doesn't contradict this. 

"Before the end of the year, prototype ancestors of the iPhone 6 were lined up in the studio, with screen sizes at “every point-one of an inch, from four all the way through to well over six.” (Earlier, the studio had designed a larger iPhone based on the architecture of the iPhone 4, but, as Ive recalled, it was “clunky” and “uncompelling.”)"
    I am not conveniently forgetting anything.

Was the Note clunky? Yep (at least to a point). The point was that  some people preferred it to a smaller screen. 'Compelling'' or not.

Ive probably had all manner of devices sitting in labs but he wasn't controlling what got developed. It was mainly Jobs. And as far as my recollection goes, Jobs was not a big fan of large screen phones. Not because of their clunkiness but because of one handed use.

• Reply 58 of 60
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

is so amazing)?

Nice spin. Sensor on the back is inferior. Some people who don't really use their phones as much might not notice it, but it's still inferior. I use my iPhone for close to $2,000 and 100+ transactions a month. If you're happy with the severe limitations of only looking at notifications, then that's fine. Some of us like to actually use our devices when they're on our desk.

Spin?

From my original reply:

"It's a question of preference but for me..."

That is still the case. You like the sensor on the front. I like it on the back. 

You also operate your phone from your desk. May I ask how much time you dedicate to that task because I feel most people would find it far easier to just pick it up and use it from their hand.

edited March 2017
  • Reply 59 of 60
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    cali said:
    bitmod said:

I am not conveniently forgetting anything.

Was the Note clunky? Yep (at least to a point). The point was that  some people preferred it to a smaller screen. 'Compelling'' or not.

Ive probably had all manner of devices sitting in labs but he wasn't controlling what got developed. It was mainly Jobs. And as far as my recollection goes, Jobs was not a big fan of large screen phones. Not because of their clunkiness but because of one handed use.
    You really have no idea how Apple operates if you're suggesting Ive was just a mushroom on a log watered by Jobs. Jobs had said several times the products weren't just him, that it was a team endeavor. Ive was in charge of design and had considerable say -- and he said plus-sized phones at the time of the 4 were too clunky.

And yes, you are conveniently forgetting that they had tested these during the 4, because you claimed the evidence of the marketing slide meant they considered it "unnecessary" -- when Ive directly contradicts you by saying they considered it still too thick, not unnecessary. Only once they got the shell design slimmer did they feel comfortable with a plus size that could be handled in a compelling manner. 

You can't change the facts, no matter how badly you want to.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 60 of 60
    How Apple operates?

As if you work there or even know how much I know about Apple.

Jobs had the last word on anything that got launched in hardware. It wouldn't matter if Ive presented a thousand different prototypes at a thousand different size points. If Jobs wasn't convinced it didn't get shipped. That's how Apple operated. The design of the sunflower iMac a case in point.

Jobs went on record in July 2010 as saying that people wouldn't buy big phones (answering a question that drew attention to competitors larger phones). The issue wasn't thickness. The issue was Jobs. Years after the iPhone 4, Samsung released the Note 4 and if memory serves me correctly it was around a millimeter (or less)  thinner than the iPhone 4. The Note 4 pretty much paved the way.

The point you should focus on is that internally, Apple admitted that it didn't have what users wanted. Only then did they change tack.

The same thing happened with the iPad, only in the opposite direction. The same thing happened with front ports and one button mice. Even sticky menus.

BTW, I'm sure the iPad was also prototyped at many different sizes but the original was considered to be the perfect size. So much so that a smaller size wasn't an option and Jobs went on record once again saying that smaller tablets would fail.

And look at what happened a couple of years later.
    edited March 2017