Concept imagines Apple's 'iPhone 8' with Siri-based augmented reality

Posted:
in iPhone
A new set of concept renders for Apple's "iPhone 8" -- sometimes known as the "iPhone X" or "iPhone Edition" -- envisions the device making use of augmented reality technology to let Siri and widgets connect with the outside world.

In images by Hungarian designer Gabor Balogh, shared with AppleInsider, the phone would by default display a translucent version of what's behind it whenever it's raised, using the rear camera. Holding down a virtual Home button would make the rear view clear, and let users issue Siri commands based on what they see, akin to a realtime, built-in version of Google Goggles visual search.

In a basic example, Siri could identify landmarks and present details. Contextual widgets would appear next to the Home/Siri button, offering options like the camera or Facebook.

Tapping on a Maps icon, though, might start navigation, whether by foot or public transit. Balogh even suggests being able to point a phone at a family member and see their Health data shared via iCloud, though the security implications of such a feature make it a highly unlikely possibility.

The concept also envisions augmented reality support in third-party apps like Facebook, suggesting it could let people watch the same event from different viewing angles.

Balogh's design is based on some of the most common rumors surrounding the "iPhone 8," which are that it will use an edge-to-edge OLED screen, replacing a physical Home button with a virtual one, or possibly a "function area."

Apple is also known to be investing heavily in technologies like machine learning, facial recognition, and of course augmented reality. In fact CEO Tim Cook has admitted the company's interest in AR on several occasions, for instance calling it "huge" in a recent interview.

At the same time he claimed there were "things to discover before that technology is good enough for the mainstream," which may make an AR-capable iPhone in 2017 far less likely.

Separate rumors have suggested that Apple is working on an AR headset which could ship in 2017 or 2018. That would presumably take a path similar to devices like Google Glass or the Microsoft HoloLens, albeit with an Apple spin.

Apple is expected to unveil the flagship, redesigned "iPhone 8" --?along with a lower end "iPhone 7s" series --?this September, its usual iPhone product launch timeframe. It has been suggested that the 10th-anniversary handset could cost more than $1,000 due to the new design and advanced technology.
doozydozen

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    The thing I find interesting about every single iPhone 8 mockup is that no one has figure out how to handle the status bar. It is always just crammed into the upper section with no thought given to it at all, and looks terrible with the display rounding off into the corners.

One thing the iPhone 8 will not...it will not look like a run of the mill Samsung. Which is what most of these mockups look like.
    watto_cobracaliSolianomeSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 29
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    That looks gorgeous, but that screen is toast as soon as you drop it.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 29
    One theme for iOS functionality that has always impressed me is how the devices really just disappear and transform when a new app is opened. It becomes whatever the app is. This concept, in the way that I see it, further erases the phone itself and just makes it a window for the functions. Several apps are already incorporating camera views and overlaying functionality. The idea here is that the functionality can go right into the OS itself. This mock-ups are really interesting.
    watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Siri couldn't get me to my local animal shelter last week and kept me running around in circles. I'll pass.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    I am not sure why any space is taken up at the top for the status icons. My phone just works 99.9% of the time so why do I need to know signal, battery, time or if I am connected to BT??? In many ways it is similar to cars...how many people need to know the voltage of the battery? Or RPM's? I need to know speed any then anything else is custom. Fuel I just need to know when I am at 50 miles of range. Seems trivial but much is wasted.
    lostkiwidoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 29
    OMEZZNYCOMEZZNYC Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    WOW THAT IS CRACK!!!!!! THAT IS A MUST HAVE
    doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 29
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    sog35 said:
    The top/bottom is not symetrical. No way Apple makes something like that
    Yeah. Quite disappointing that all these mockups show asymmetry, and many from purported students of design.

How many years of symmetric iPhones has there been? Well, 10 years of iPhone, but left-right symmetry in landscape oriented Apple devices go back decades. For reasons, some PC laptop makers center the trackpad along the space bar, resulting in the trackpad not being centered on the laptop palm rests. And not to mention all those "workstation" laptops with numpad monstrosities. All Apple laptops have keyboards and trackpads that are left-right centered about the laptop. Every single iOS device in existence has left-right and top-bottom symmetry with the display. Every single one.

Yet, what, 90% of the mockups don't have the display centered. WTF? The only way the display won't have top-bottom symmetry is if the device is only to be used in portrait orientation. Not going to happen.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    bdkennedy said:
    Siri couldn't get me to my local animal shelter last week and kept me running around in circles...
    Are you a doggy?
    doozydozenfastasleepwatto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 29
    tht said:
    sog35 said:
    Yeah. Quite disappointing that all these mockups show asymmetry, and many from purported students of design.

How many years of symmetric iPhones has there been? Well, 10 years of iPhone, but left-right symmetry in landscape oriented Apple devices go back decades. For reasons, some PC laptop makers center the trackpad along the space bar, resulting in the trackpad not being centered on the laptop palm rests. And not to mention all those "workstation" laptops with numpad monstrosities. All Apple laptops have keyboards and trackpads that are left-right centered about the laptop. Every single iOS device in existence has left-right and top-bottom symmetry with the display. Every single one.

Yet, what, 90% of the mockups don't have the display centered. WTF? The only way the display won't have top-bottom symmetry is if the device is only to be used in portrait orientation. Not going to happen.
    Yeah it seems like these so-called designers are incapable of envisioning things that simply have to exist. They advance concepts like "the entire front is display" even if that makes no sense at all.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Anyone else notice the carrier in these artist depictions is "Horizon"  :D
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 29
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    Question is a display like this even possible ? Sammy's wraps around the sides, this covers both side to side and top to bottom edges like a lid that's screen everywhere, how does that work
  • Reply 12 of 29
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    Concepts are all fake with no connection to Apple unless ... The only person with any decent record of being right about future iPhones is Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, at KGI Securities. The rest of the speculators are full of it. If a concept is based off of what Ming says then maybe it deserves a second look. If it isn't then you are just engaged in trolling or being trolled or mental mast**bat**n. Anyone with an imagination and some mid-level graphic skills can draw the picture and write their little scifi blurb. Then in the comment sections people talk about the mock and it's imaginary fears like they actually exist. Do we have to put up with this endless stream of blather until mid-september? How can Mac sites be so hard up for material they have to add this kind of stuff to their repertoire?
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 13 of 29
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Not a fan of that design.
    anomeSpamSandwich
  • Reply 14 of 29
    YES! Finally, an artist took it upon themselves to appropriately imagine a FUNCTIONAL upcoming iPhone Special Edition. Thank you universe. 
  • Reply 15 of 29
    sog35 said:
    Huh? Yes it is symmetric. The display extends from the tip top all the way to the bottom edge. How is that not symmetrical? 
    Just because the FB app mockup shows the bottom function bar to be unlit doesn't mean there's an inherent asymmetry. Would the UI need an artificial unlit forehead in that situation? But you're right in that the artist depicts the top status bar as a dead zone without a display—that tiny section skews the display's top/bottom symmetry a little bit.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 16 of 29
    tht said:
    sog35 said:

What are you talking about? There's symmetry. Are you referring to the chin in the FB app mockup? The rest of the mockups show a lit display from top to bottom—hence, symmetry. Remember, the chin, which is rumored to be a functional bar is a display. There's no chin nor forehead. 
  • Reply 17 of 29
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    I still say the 8 is next year. And it will be a sexy wedge design to easily sense orientation and for ergonomic reasons. 
    If there is an "edition", its will merely be a gussied up 7s in nicer case like the Watch "Edition" models.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 29
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    A new set of concept renders for Apple's "iPhone 8" -- sometimes known as the "iPhone X" or "iPhone Edition" -- 

I'm going with "iPhoney McPhoneFace."

anomedoozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 29
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    holyone said:
    Question is a display like this even possible ? Sammy's wraps around the sides, this covers both side to side and top to bottom edges like a lid that's screen everywhere, how does that work
    Why can't it be attached in much the same way that the AppleWatch display is attached?  That screen does curve slightly at the edges, but no more than the current iPhone does, and it is full screen (no bezels).  The screen attaches into the metal siding.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Man, is that ugly. Forget the asymmetry, I'm more concerned about that bottom row around the "virtual" home button. It really doesn't look good. Looks kind of Android-y.

And, as big a fan as I am of AR, something about that first image doesn't seem right.