Speculation suggests Apple could debut new 9.7-inch iPad next week

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2017
With Apple rumored to unveil new products next week, but no media event seemingly planned, onlookers have been left to guess what --?if anything --?the company could launch with so little fanfare. One wild guess: A new 9.7-inch iPad, potentially replacing the iPad Air 2.

Citing unnamed Japanese analysts, Macotakara reported on Wednesday that suppliers from China seem to believe that a so-called "iPad Pro 2" could be announced next week.

Specifically, it was said that the new 9.7-inch iPad Pro may feature the same specifications as the current model, with the exception of a beefier "A10X" CPU, enhanced from the A10 chip found in the iPhone 7.

Apple is rumored to unveil three new iPads this spring, one of which is said to be a new entry-level 9.7-inch model that could replace the current iPad Air 2. Currently, the 9.7-inch iPad Pro with A9X chip has an entry price of $599, while the A8X-powered iPad Air 2, also 9.7 inches, starts at $399.

Rumors have suggested that the current 9.7-inch iPad Pro could be superseded by a new 10.5-inch model featuring a slightly larger display and new design. It has been speculated that Apple could keep largely the same form factor as the 9.7-inch model by shrinking the bezels around the screen, giving users more room to work with on a bigger panel without added bulk.

With the 10.5-inch model speculated to be Apple's new flagship iPad, that could leave the 9.7-inch form factor with a minor spec bump and price cut. For Apple to launch such a minor product without a keynote presentation would not be unprecedented. However, it would be odd to quietly launch just weeks ahead of new models, considering new high-end 10.5- and 12.9-inch iPads are expected to debut imminently.

The latest guesswork about what Apple could announce next week has been driven by a somewhat vague report from MacRumors issued Monday, claiming that new products could be unveiled by the company as soon as next week. Citing "reputable supply chain analysts," that report indicated that Apple is "most likely" to launch new products between March 20 and 24, though no specific products were named.

Apple usually sends invitations to media presentations some 10 days in advance, and with no sign of a keynote next week, the launch of a new form factor 10.5-inch iPad seems highly unlikely. Subsequent reports have claimed Apple is planning an early April event to launch the new flagship iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    No its next month, no its next week, no its actually tomorrow! Well...maybe its not until May now...
    elijahgandrewj5790
  • Reply 2 of 12
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Supply chain ? um.. supply chain has no clue about a companies internal 'launch schedule and plans' and it never will. All a supply chain analysts can do is speculate based on preparedness of a product.

Which is all this is; period.

It's likely they would group the 9.7 in with the larger debut of the other iPads, not split them out. Supply chain speculation on actual internal plans is about as reliable as reading tea-leaves .. except at least you get a nice cup of tea after you read them..
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 3 of 12
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Oh please, please, pretty please! Just a speed bump is great. I don't need or want "thicker, heavier, and you can design a rocket on it!" Just email, browse, and Words With Friends on the couch is all I need. Keep an updated content consumer machine in the lineup. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 12
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    adrayven said:
    Supply chain ? um.. supply chain has no clue about a companies internal 'launch schedule and plans' and it never will. All a supply chain analysts can do is speculate based on preparedness of a product.

It's likely they would group the 9.7 in with the larger debut of the other iPads, not split them out. Supply chain speculation on actual internal plans is about as reliable as reading tea-leaves .. except at least you get a nice cup of tea after you read them..
    The supply chain definitely has a very good idea when a product will launch and the client's plans; otherwise, the manufacturing system would preform poorly initially. Looking at the Apple demanded production curve, one could determine a reasonable launch window, especially with historical data. I would imagine the window could easily be accurate to 2-4 weeks.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 5 of 12
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    seankill said:
    adrayven said:

The supply chain definitely has a very good idea when a product will launch and the client's plans; otherwise, the manufacturing system would preform poorly initially. Looking at the Apple demanded production curve, one could determine a reasonable launch window, especially with historical data. I would imagine the window could easily be accurate to 2-4 weeks.
    Ya gotta sorta wonder what Apple is actually *doing.* All will soon be revealed. I hope so anyway, as I have a wish list of stuff I'd like Apple to take my money for.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    This is interesting. I haven't seen rumors all over the place like this in a long time, if ever.

• Reply 7 of 12
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Clever. Release a spec bump 9.7" that some people will automatically buy because they have to have the newest stuff. Then release an iPad shortly after with the same chassis size but a larger screen and sell that to the "have-to-haves" as well.

I don't need a new iPad but I would buy a 10.5" on the same chassis. Still waiting for a new iMac or MacPro though.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    It's either a new 9.7" or 10.5" Pro. Not both.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Supply chain confirms the new iPad Pro will have a double-sided display.  The back panel will be a single glass unit that shows the back side of the image on the front display.  Breaking with tradition, Apple plans to introduce this on the first Saturday in April when more viewers can watch the streamed event.  Invitations going out tomorrow.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    macxpress said:
    No its next month, no its next week, no its actually tomorrow! Well...maybe its not until May now...

No, it was yesterday! Didn't you see?

It's either a new 9.7" or 10.5" Pro. Not both.
    No, it probably will be both. The 9.7" may not be marketed as a Pro, though. It might be a new Air (possibly with some Pro features).

Then again, maybe it will be neither.

• Reply 11 of 12
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Whenever it happens, I'm looking forward to it. My Air 2 still has legs, so there's no pressing need to replace it.

I do want the smaller iPad Pro. And a Mini with Touch ID, but I bought a Mini 3 with cellular when it first shipped, and my disposable income says I should wait awhile. Maybe until an iPad Mini Pro. Or a Mini iPad Pro. 

I'd like something to debut in March and April. I may as well wish for a new Cube while I'm at it.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Mini 5!