Developer alleges spotting new Apple TV model, unannounced 'tvOS 11' in use logs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I hope Apple releases a 4K HDR Apple TV soon. I bought one of those Roku Ultra players back in November and that thing has been a complete nightmare. The Roku Ultra has a well known bug when you select a 4K HDR TV as a display device. Video and sound constantly cut out trying to watch any HDR content on Amazon and Netflix. It's not an app issue so HDR support is currently broken on Roku. 
  • Reply 22 of 45
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

It really was unacceptable that ATV4 did not have 4k.
    Complete nonsense. 15 months ago even fewer people cared about 4k than they do today. The mass market consumer is still happy w/ 1080p (anecdotally, I'm an enterprise developer and I have no plans to replace my 1080p plasma any time soon, especially with a crummier LCD tv). iTunes doesn't even offer any 4k content and nobody is crying about it, they certainly weren't 15 months ago.

Will the new ATV offer it? Very likely. But that doesn't mean Apple needed to be engaged in the spec wars at its earliest opportunity. Ain't how Apple rolls, bubba. You should know that, but not knowing it is why you're a poor investor.
    No 4k content?  How about those friken 4k videos you've been filming on you iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 the past 2 years? Or even damn photos that have a higher resolution than 1080p?
    We don't wait around for every screen and every set top in the world to get around to 4k FIRST before we start shooting in 4k. No, we start shooting in 4k as soon as it is possible to do so, for the sake of the CONTENT for the future.

90% of people still have 1080p TVs, no one is rushing out to buy 4k. Very little need for it at all in the living room. It is a long slow eventuality that no one anywhere is in any hurry to make prevalent.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 23 of 45
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

Complete nonsense. 15 months ago even fewer people cared about 4k than they do today. The mass market consumer is still happy w/ 1080p (anecdotally, I'm an enterprise developer and I have no plans to replace my 1080p plasma any time soon, especially with a crummier LCD tv). iTunes doesn't even offer any 4k content and nobody is crying about it, they certainly weren't 15 months ago.

Will the new ATV offer it? Very likely. But that doesn't mean Apple needed to be engaged in the spec wars at its earliest opportunity. Ain't how Apple rolls, bubba. You should know that, but not knowing it is why you're a poor investor.
    Jesus Christ. Are you really this dense?

No 4k content?  How about those friken 4k videos you've been filming on you iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 the past 2 years? Or even damn photos that have a higher resolution than 1080p?
    We don't wait around for every screen and every set top in the world to get around to 4k FIRST before we start shooting in 4k. No, we start shooting in 4k as soon as it is possible to do so, for the sake of the CONTENT for the future.

90% of people still have 1080p TVs, no one is rushing out to buy 4k. Very little need for it at all in the living room. It is a long slow eventuality that no one anywhere is in any hurry to make prevalent.
    You are dead wrong about 4K. 4K adoption rate is way higher than HDTV. The 4K growth rate in 2016 was 105% higher than 2015. At the current adoption rate, more than 50% of homes in the USA will have a 4K TV by 2019. We are currently at around 20% of homes that have a 4K TV. 
  • Reply 24 of 45
    sog35 said:
    Friken finally.

I got a 4k tv last year and are dying to run 4k media on it. 

Do you even hear yourself? Unacceptable? It didn't have 4k because there is no 4k content to play on it. Just like without it, there is no 4k content to play on your 4k TV.

The TV industry was about 3 years too early with 4K TVs, but when 3D fell flat on its face, they needed something quick to remain relevant.
    There is a ton of 4K content to play on your TV. The 4K blu ray collection is growing very fast. Amazon, YouTube, Vudu, DirecTV, Hulu, Netflix, plus others all have 4K content. 
    fallenjt
  • Reply 25 of 45
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Sure this is nice for people who make use of 4K video but that doesn't address the content issue and the complete mess that is iTunes. If this is all the Apple TV can improve on then what is the darned point of even selling it. Apple's media player world had gone from truly inspired ( the original Apple TV) to nice hardware looking for a reason to exist. They should either do it right, not the hardware which is fine, or just go mess with something else. What a waste ...
  • Reply 26 of 45
    NizNiz Posts: 2member
    Is it just me or has Firi been making a lot of these claims? For an app developer with only 3, low quality games under its belt, I'm starting to wonder if this is just a play for attention/downloads. Why would so many iPads iPhones etc be downloading these starblaster style games? Seems odd to me that Firi is only detecting things we all, already know are coming this year... 🤔
  • Reply 27 of 45
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    sog35 said:
    Friken finally.

I got a 4k tv last year and are dying to run 4k media on it. 

Oh no, it's very acceptable for the next 2-3 years until you can see 1 single broadcast in 4K.  So, ATV 5 with 4K at the end of 2018 is ok.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    jason98 said:
    wigby said:
    Unacceptable to the 10% of people like you that bought into 4K. Is it really unacceptable to the other 90% that don't know or care about 4K? Ask Amazon Fire and Roku customers who bought into 4K too. 
    Better ask 200m+ iPhone 6s / 7 owners who tape videos in 4K since 2015.
    Better ask if any of them watching their taped 4k video on a big screen!
  • Reply 29 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Oh goody, I collect them. ;)
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Honestly, how can Apple be so far behind the 8-ball when it comes to television streaming devices and services? Sony offers cable-tv-like programming, with PlayStation Vue, but Apple can't? Amazon and Netflix are kicking their ass, in original content, and Roku introduced a 4K streaming device back in Oct. 2015. Does anyone know what Apple's strategy is?
  • Reply 31 of 45
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sog35 said:

Complete nonsense. 15 months ago even fewer people cared about 4k than they do today.
    If that were true, then there would be no reason to offer or market 4K video on the iPhone. This isn't about "caring" at all. Your use of "caring" is based on popularity, so no one "cared" about Retina displays before Apple did it, or 64-bit on a smartphone, or any number of things Apple created and/or popularized.

The reason the 2160p/4K video on the iPhone happened was because it could. It was the beginning of the chain, whereas 4K support on the Apple TV is near the of the chain. This comes down to a 2160p-capable Apple TV until Apple could offer 2160p content from the iTunes Store, which I hypothesize means securing both the content rights in sufficient quantities and having HEVC as codec to help keep these file sizes manageable. Now that Apple will be releasing their own content this year, it seems assured that the content they own will be in 2160p, and possibly supporting HDR10, which means, at the very least, there will be some content distributed by Apple that will be shown in 2160p, just like with Amazon's Prime Video and Netflix. Everything else will fall into place after that.
    edited March 2017 stompybrucemc
  • Reply 32 of 45
    cali said:
    neilm said:
    melgross said:
    Apple needs a really cheap device for this too.
    Which isn't going to happen, any more than it has with any other product line.
    Apple doesn't do cheap.
    Agree but every time I mention a $300 Apple TV fans give me the lame "too expensive Apple wants it to be affordable" response.

Wasn't the Xbox One more expensive at launch and kicking Apple TV's ass?

I want a gaming Apple TV with the M processor in the Siri remote, Taptic Engine, 3D Touch, Metaio/Promesense echnology and at least an A10x processor.
    Apple TV didn't and won't aim for hardcore gaming but all-in-one entertainment device. So, making a $300 Apple TV is a kiss of death. Most ATV owners use it for streaming contents. Apple doesn't believe in hardcord games but mini games with massive audience install base. They don't want to generate revenue on games only but other services too via ATV. Therefore, don't expect an Apple game console ever.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    jason98 said:
    eightzero said:

I have an iPhone 7 right here in my hand. I had to hunt around to figure out if I had the thing set to record 4k, because I've got the 32GB model, and it would be a huge waste of storage if I was shooting in 4k. I'm actually kinda pissed it isn't more obvious how to turn this *off*.
    1. Don't store 4k videos in iPhone, just transfer them to cheaper media.
    2. Don't know maybe you don't have kids. Your videos (friends and family) is your memories.  Why not to shoot in highest quality possible? Those v8 tapes recorded in pre-HD time they look ok then, but nearly impossible to watch today. Same will happen to 1080p.
    Why? Human eyes will evolve in 10-20 years? Why does a movie look great today and won't in 1-2 decades later? I don't get you. My parents's color pictures 40 years ago still look great now in my album. Stop your bullshit logic because it doesn't make sense. The damn 1080p video you see today will still look the same 20 years later even though your standard will be much higher...
  • Reply 34 of 45
    karmadave said:
    Honestly, how can Apple be so far behind the 8-ball when it comes to television streaming devices and services? Sony offers cable-tv-like programming, with PlayStation Vue, but Apple can't? Amazon and Netflix are kicking their ass, in original content, and Roku introduced a 4K streaming device back in Oct. 2015. Does anyone know what Apple's strategy is?
    Apple can for sure. They just don't see that service will generate much revenue but hypes. Besides, the competition is beyond fierce: Netflix, Hulu+, Vudu, Amazon Video, DIRECTV Now, Sling, FullScreen, xFinity and bunch of others...
  • Reply 35 of 45
    karmadave said:
    Your argument sound exactly like every time Apple had a hit on their hands waiting to launch. Apple's late to the tablet market. Apple's late to the cellphone market. Apple latte, late, late, and always doing it the wrong way.

I don't know what Apple's strategy is, but I would bet it has something to do with having an end-to-end solution… like they usually strive for.
    stompybrucemc
  • Reply 36 of 45
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Apple didn't put 4K in the TV 4 so that was the right decision around here. TV 5 most likely will have 4K and that will be supported here. Basically anything Apple does is the right decision and shouldn't be criticized.
    brucemc
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Apple didn't put 4K in the TV 4 so that was the right decision around here. TV 5 most likely will have 4K and that will be supported here. Basically anything Apple does is the right decision and shouldn't be criticized.
    There is no right or wrong. I wish that 4K had come with the 4th gen Apple TV, along with HEVC support in the Apple TV, iTunes, their OSes with A-series chips with HW acceleration, and 4K/HEVC content on the iTunes Store years ago but my desire—your desire— doesn't make their decision wrong.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    jason98 said:
    eightzero said:

I have an iPhone 7 right here in my hand. I had to hunt around to figure out if I had the thing set to record 4k, because I've got the 32GB model, and it would be a huge waste of storage if I was shooting in 4k. I'm actually kinda pissed it isn't more obvious how to turn this *off*.
    1. Don't store 4k videos in iPhone, just transfer them to cheaper media.
    2. Don't know maybe you don't have kids. Your videos (friends and family) is your memories.  Why not to shoot in highest quality possible? Those v8 tapes recorded in pre-HD time they look ok then, but nearly impossible to watch today. Same will happen to 1080p.
    eh. My memories are in my head. The resolution is far greater than 4k. And those v8 tapes need only remind me of that.

YMMV.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    I too was a naysayer against 4k until I bought a Samsung KS8000. It's gorgeous. Everything upscales and looks beautiful. There is a lot of 4k content on the main streaming services and it's fun to watch. HDR10 is fantastic. In a few weeks Planet Earth 2 in 4k HDR is out and it's getting reference quality reviews. This ATV will be a day one buy. 
  • Reply 40 of 45
    I too was a naysayer against 4k until I bought a Samsung KS8000. It's gorgeous. Everything upscales and looks beautiful. There is a lot of 4k content on the main streaming services and it's fun to watch. HDR10 is fantastic. In a few weeks Planet Earth 2 in 4k HDR is out and it's getting reference quality reviews. This ATV will be a day one buy. 
    My Samsung UN65KS8000 looks great. Even the UI is good, which is a bonus since I want to get Netflix's 4K content and/or HDR, so that means I can't use the Apple TV. Same for Amazon's Prime Video service, but since they don't have Apple TV app, I have no choice.