ColorWare will make the iPhone 7 Plus look like a vintage Macintosh for $1899

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
Nostalgic Apple fans with deep pockets can now purchase a custom-painted iPhone 7 Plus "Retro Edition" from ColorWare, designed to look like a vintage Macintosh computer from the 1980s, for a princely sum of $1,899.

The handset is an unlocked, SIM-free iPhone 7 Plus with 256 gigabytes of storage. ColorWare is purchasing off-the-shelf black models and giving them a custom paint job -- for an extra $930 over the sticker price.

ColorWare says the paint job is available for a limited time only, and the first 25 purchases will include their own number of authenticity.

"Great attention to detail is given to this fully painted iPhone," the official description reads. "With the multicolored Apple rainbow logo and the dark beige edge stripes your iPhone will be a work of art."

The new option comes just a few weeks after ColorWare began offering Apple's AirPods in a selection of 58 colors for a $130 premium over the $159 standard price. Unlike the AirPods paint job, which sticks to a solid color, the iPhone 7 Plus Retro Edition boasts colors and patterns, including a rainbow Apple logo, beige body, and dark Macintosh-like stripes down the sides.

ColorWare says its new premium-priced paint job will ship in about 2 to 3 weeks. Purchases include a 12-month warranty against defects, and shipping is available internationally.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Simply amazing! If I could send in my iPhone 7 and pay under $200 for this custom paint job, I would not hesitate.
    xzulongpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    or you can just wait for the $9.99 case on amazon
    randominternetpersonxzulongpathrezwits
  • Reply 3 of 25
    it would be very depressing if you bought this and then the paint peeled/chipped off. I think I'd have to keep it in a case. Show people photos of how it looks underneath. Or I could just not buy one.
    xzu
  • Reply 4 of 25

"Hey cool case.  Where'd you get it."

"Uh, it's not a case, and I was one of the lucky 25 people who could get it for $1900"

"Um.  You're a moron."

edited March 2017 lolliverpeterhartSolievilutionxzuicoco3
  • Reply 5 of 25
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    I have a better deal: For half that price, anyone who wants this paint job on their iPhone can just send me a mere $465, and I will talk you out of humiliating yourself by having your friends ask and find out how much you paid for some beige paint.
    magman1979xzu
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Couldn't you just buy a vintage Mac for less?
    JinTechxzulongpathtallest skil
  • Reply 7 of 25
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    Makes one miss the old days when cocaine was God's way of saying you're making too much money.

(credit to the late, great Robin Williams)
    SolimobiusxzulongpathAppleZulu
  • Reply 8 of 25
    $930 extra? Lol. Just get a cream color skin case and stick a rainbow apple sticker on the back. Done.
    xzu
  • Reply 9 of 25
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    I am a Nostalgic Apple fans with deep pockets, and yet I would never pay that.  It doesn't even look that great.  I say this as a vintage Mac lover.  I still use my RetroBright de-yellowed SE/30 (fully loaded with MacCon Ethernet card, and Xceed Grayscale adapter), Mac 512k (with the original 64k ROMs), Mac512k with GCC HyperDrive, Newton 2100, and PowerBook Wallstreet laptops.  (Photos on Flickr.)  I recap logic boards and I even have a rather rare Apple TechStep diagnostic tool too.  But I would never pay that ridiculous fee.  It's completely insane.  
    pscooter63magman1979xzu
  • Reply 10 of 25

My custom rear decal - $15
    edited March 2017 xzu
  • Reply 11 of 25
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    it would be very depressing if you bought this and then the paint peeled/chipped off. I think I'd have to keep it in a case. Show people photos of how it looks underneath. Or I could just not buy one.
    Yeah, and if it did, they say they used the black iPhone. Wouldn't a gold one make more sense, and show less obvious wear?

For that price, they should throw in some color matched AirPods. I'd also like to see custom cables in original Apple "khaki" to complete the package.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Don't need it since I still have my original 1984 Macintosh computer.
    xzu
  • Reply 13 of 25
    I think Apple should offer this service in addition to the engraving. It'd be a bit like ordering a new car, there are a few base-colours that are no cost options (gold/silver/rosegold/black) then the premium (metallic/pearlescent paint in car terms) options that are an optional extra and increase the shipping time accordingly. 
    Cut out the middle man and more profit to apple. 
  • Reply 14 of 25
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    A paint job that costs 2x the price of the phone, is not for people worrying about that.

It's for people that can casually afford it, and don't care if its chipped off, because they can always buy another one, or write it off as an experiment. So unless you make like $200K per year or more, it doesn't apply...

For most people, the proposition doesn't even make sense, since the phone will be obsolete 1-2 years down the line anyway, after the first or second annual iPhone model comes along.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    jdw said:
    I am a Nostalgic Apple fans with deep pockets, and yet I would never pay that.  It doesn't even look that great.  I say this as a vintage Mac lover.  I still use my RetroBright de-yellowed SE/30 (fully loaded with MacCon Ethernet card, and Xceed Grayscale adapter), Mac 512k (with the original 64k ROMs), Mac512k with GCC HyperDrive, Newton 2100, and PowerBook Wallstreet laptops.  (Photos on Flickr.)  I recap logic boards and I even have a rather rare Apple TechStep diagnostic tool too.  But I would never pay that ridiculous fee.  It's completely insane. 

I think it looks great -- the hues are spot on.
    edited March 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Couldn't you just buy a vintage Mac for less?
    You could. But it's obviously not for people that lack money, or want to save money...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    It looks like it is an Apple II because of the vent lines on each side that go over the edge and not a Macintosh. The early compact Macs would have had a similar color, but the vent lines did not wrap over the edge.

Vs.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    I guess ColorWare could just be another uninformed Apple loving company that thinks early Apple II systems were "Macs" like all the incorrect e-bay sellers that list them that way. ColorWare says early Mac, but their design does not.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 19 of 25
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    foljs said:
    A paint job that costs 2x the price of the phone, is not for people worrying about that.
    Read the article again, the cost includes the phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    foljs said:

It's for people that can casually afford it, and don't care if its chipped off, because they can always buy another one, or write it off as an experiment. So unless you make like $200K per year or more, it doesn't apply...

For most people, the proposition doesn't even make sense, since the phone will be obsolete 1-2 years down the line anyway, after the first or second annual iPhone model comes along.

The handset is an unlocked, SIM-free iPhone 7 Plus with 256 gigabytes of storage. ColorWare is purchasing off-the-shelf black models and giving them a custom paint job— for an extra $930 over the sticker price.
    watto_cobra