Philips expands iOS-connected Hue smart bulbs with chandelier E14 light socket sizes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2017
More than 80 percent of light fittings found in common households are now supported by Philips Hue connected lighting, thanks to the launch of new E14 candle/chandelier-sized sockets, in both multi-color and white ambiance versions.

The new Philips Hue E14 candle bulb is a 40-watt equivalent -- 470 lumen at 4,000 kelvin. Like other Hue bulbs, it is compatible with Apple's HomeKit smart home platform via a connected bridge.

The Hue bulbs also tie into Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Next, and Samsung SmartThings. And the open Hue platform allows interoperability with more than 600 apps, products and platforms from other brands and developers.

The new E14 bulbs will launch in Europe by the end of April priced starting at 34.95 euros for the ambient white bulbs. They are also scheduled to arrive in North America later this year, though pricing has not yet been announced. Philips also did not disclose how much the multi-color bulbs will cost.

The new bulb joins existing products from Hue sized for sockets E26, A19/E27, B22, GU-10 spot light, and BR30.

"The candle has been one of the most requested products by Philips Hue customers," said Sridhar Kumaraswamy, business leader for connected home systems at Philips Lighting. "We've spent time ensuring it is of the highest quality and available in both white ambiance and white and color ambiance. It is an important next step to ensure seamless integration in all rooms, giving you the freedom to personalize lighting throughout your home."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I wouldn't say E14 is a chandelier bulb, that's just an SES (small edison screw) which can be used in uprights, small lamps, wall lights etc. Most chandeliers I've had or fitted use G5/G9 type bulbs. Still a welcome addition, bring on the G9s and I'd be able to replace all my bulbs with Hues.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 2 of 19
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    adm1 said:
    Most chandeliers I've had or fitted use G5/G9 type bulbs.
    You're talking about "new world" chandeliers  ;)
  • Reply 3 of 19
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    sog35 said:
    $35 for a light bulb? 

Give me a break.
    $25,000 for a car! Give me a break! Does the same thing a $50 bicycle does. 
    $99 for an Apple Pencil! Give me a break! Does the same thing a 50¢ pencil can do. 
    $699 for an iPhone!!! Give me a break! Does the same thing a $20 flip phone does. 
    edited March 2017 waverboy2old4funboltsfan17stanthemanlolliverStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    sog35 said:
    $35 for a light bulb? 
    Yes, and in a chandelier, that could add up rather quickly.
    tokyojimu
  • Reply 5 of 19
    It's cheaper then re-wiring your house to add three-core plus ground cable needed by many smart light control systems, and this also does not take in to consideration that all the current HomeKit compatible light switches are US only due to the fact the makers think the world is flat and you fall off the edge if you leave the US. (I am pointing my finger at you Lutron.)

It should be noted that Philips a European company has already indicated this will also be available to flat-earthers aka Yankees.
    stanthemanlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    It's cheaper then re-wiring your house to add three-core plus ground cable needed by many smart light control systems, and this also does not take in to consideration that all the current HomeKit compatible light switches are US only due to the fact the makers think the world is flat and you fall off the edge if you leave the US. (I am pointing my finger at you Lutron.)

It should be noted that Philips a European company has already indicated this will also be available to flat-earthers aka Yankees.
    Did you ever consider the fact that the HomeKit market is bigger here compared to Wankerland? 
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 7 of 19
    kudukudu Posts: 44member
    Wankerland and flat earthers haha! Oh, how the great have fallen.

Love my Hues. White light is soooo boring
    hmurchisonlolliver
  • Reply 8 of 19
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    So glad they've finally gone to the small bases. In my opinion, Hue bulbs are best for desk and reading lights, which I like to dim to a low level, and the Hues perform really well at low output levels. Also, the ambience bulbs with the warm/cool adjustments are great for the same application. 

Since mist my my desk and readingvlamps take small small base bulbs, I've been unable to use Hues. Until now. 

Excited!
    stantheman
  • Reply 9 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    sog35 said:
    $35 for a light bulb? 

Give me a break.
     Exactly I'm not gonna pay that much money for a white only bulb. I'd just add another Lutron dimmer and buy an LED multipack. 

Im pretty much only using Hue for color. Lutron handles 
  • Reply 10 of 19
     If you haven't checked it out yet go to Home Depot and look up the Cree candelabra bulbs with candlelight dimming   They dim to look just like  incandescent lightbulbs. 
  • Reply 11 of 19
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    $35 for a light bulb? 

Give me a break.
    $99 for an Apple Pencil! Give me a break! Does the same thing a 50¢ pencil can do. 
    $699 for an iPhone!!! Give me a break! Does the same thing a $20 flip phone does. 
    So a bulb that changes color is worth 3500% more than a standard bulb? Give me a break.

Its also a bulb that you can control with your phone, away from home, etc. I guess you just don't get it...
    lolliverStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Hue systems come with incompatibility with standard wall dimmers. They haven't created the proper accessories to mitigate this control issue. Yes they have a battery operated dimmer that is aesthetically challenged but their line has too many holes. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 13 of 19
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    $35 for a light bulb? 

Give me a break.
    So a bulb that changes color is worth 3500% more than a standard bulb? Give me a break.

Its also a bulb that you can control with your phone, away from home, etc. I guess you just don't get it...
    Why would I want to turn on a bulb when I'm not at home? That's ridiculous. 

Oh. Let me turn on my bulb at home and make it purple and pink.....even though I can't see it. 
    Like I said...you just don't get it. I suppose you think the entire automated home concept is stupid too?
    lolliverStrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 19
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    sog35 said:
    $35 for a light bulb? 

Give me a break.
    lol $800 for a phone? Give me a break. 

Your comment is just as stupid. 

This is an LED lightbulb that contains a Wifi receiver, bluetooth, circuitry, and supports the homekit platform, can be controlled remotely and locally by phone or Siri, and be setup with IFFFT (if I leave the house, shut the lights), can be setup with scenes, the list goes on.  

Oh wait, I'm replying to sog35, so joke's on me. 
    lolliverpolymniaStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Damn it! I just changed the entire bulk head lamp in my porch to an ES one from SES just because I couldn't fit a Hue bulb in it.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    $35 for a light bulb? 

Give me a break.
    Like the iphone, it's  worth what people will pay for if. I love my Hue bulbs. 

Owning pretend pieces of a pretend person tho, that just sounds crazy to me. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    mr4js said:
    Someone get this guy a grinder!

His axe isn't gonna grind itself.