Chance the Rapper declares Apple paid $500K for exclusive 'Coloring Book' debut on Apple M...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
After some criticism about the artist's integrity and independence, Chance the Rapper made a series of tweets and revealed some of the only solid information about what Apple pays for exclusive releases on Apple Music.

Following queries from fans, some hostile, Chance the Rapper claims that Apple paid "half a mil" plus a commercial, to release "Coloring Book" exclusively on Apple Music for two weeks.

I wanna clear things up. @apple gave me half a mil and a commercial to post Coloring Book exclusively on applemusic for 2 weeks https://t.co/dMWwptrHHH

-- Lil Chano From 79th (@chancetherapper)
"I just wanna remain transparent, folks out there without a deal need to know they're doing everything right just keep at it," Chance wrote in a series of Tweets after the reveal. "I feel like if I didnt clear it up people would keep trying to discredit all the work we did to make Coloring Book what it became."

Chance also believes that the "streaming wars" can benefit artists, as long as they "remain in control" of the music.

In May 2016, Chance the Rapper's album has was the first streaming exclusive to debut in top 10 of the Billboard 200 albums chart. The record premiered in eighth placewith the equivalent of 38,000 album units.

Most of the album units came from Apple Music, with each streaming album unit equaling 1,500 streams. The record picked up 57.3 million track streams in total.

The last information about the value of Apple Music deals with artists came in 2015, when Drake was said to have been paid $19 million for appearances on a Beats 1 radio show. The terms of Drake's deal were never confirmed by Apple or the artist himself.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    What a ripoff. "For 2 weeks". Album wasn't even good, he was a B list rapper....

I'm pissed. 
  • Reply 2 of 17
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cali said:
    What a ripoff. "For 2 weeks". Album wasn't even good, he was a B list rapper....

I'm pissed. 
    Do a lot of B-list musicians win 3 out of 7 Grammys in a single year?

Personally, I like the beat of No Problem but I'm not a fan of his lack enunciation when he raps, but me being lukewarm on the song doesn't mean he's not a popular artist. Drake is certainly popular but I can't stand Hotline Bling, and don't understand how it can win with it's up against any of the others. Note that Chance the Rapper was a part of all but 2 songs out of 8(?) in that category.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 3 of 17
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    Hey Apple, it will only cost you 10k for my band to go Apple exclusive on the next release. Checks payable to me. 
    Soli
  • Reply 4 of 17
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    cali said:

I'm pissed. 
    Less than 1/10th of 1¢ per download in iTunes promotion costs...is a ripoff?
    i think it qualifies as a no-brainer in marketing. 
    SoliRayz2016awilliams87
  • Reply 5 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Soli said:
    cali said:

I'm pissed. 

Personally, I like the beat of No Problem but I'm not a fan of his lack enunciation when he raps, but me being lukewarm on the song doesn't mean he's not a popular artist. Drake is certainly popular but I can't stand Hotline Bling, and don't understand how it can win with it's up against any of the others. Note that Chance the Rapper was a part of all but 2 songs out of 8(?) in that category.
    Yes. Thank Apple for those Grammys. Before Apple made him famous no one gave a sh** about this mediocre rapper. Don't expect to see him ever again unless Apple gives him the spotlight. 

I don't mean to sound mad but there's so many other artists Apple could have signed the deal with, even other B listers. 
  • Reply 6 of 17
    cali said:
    Yes. Thank Apple for those Grammys. Before Apple made him famous no one gave a sh** about this mediocre rapper. Don't expect to see him ever again unless Apple gives him the spotlight. 

I don't mean to sound mad but there's so many other artists Apple could have signed the deal with, even other B listers. 
    1) Are you saying that Apple controls the outcome of the Grammys?

2) I thought one of the amazing things about Chance is that he's unsigned? Are you saying he's secretly signed by Apple as a label which is why he was able to get those Grammy nominations in the first place? How would that even be possible?

3) If we're never going to hear from him again, and Apple controls his fate, then why did Apple pay him $500,000 for a 2 week exclusivity with Apple Music?
    edited March 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Surely the information surrounding his agreement with Apple is covered by an NDA. What an idiot.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Soli said:
    cali said:

I'm pissed. 

Winning grammy awards doesn't mean you're an A-list artist. There have been so many artists who have won a grammy award and then disappeared. 
  • Reply 9 of 17
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Hahaha, no doubt. Now his compensation will have been $0. There's a reason we don't hear #s for all these deals, because the #s are industry secrets, enforced by contract. "Half mil" --> zero.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 10 of 17
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Sorry, formatting and quoted text was lost. I'm sure it's due to the privacy tools I use, but I'm not disabling them. This was in response to SpamSandwich's comment above.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Soli said:
    cali said:

I'm pissed. 

Winning grammy awards doesn't mean you're an A-list artist. There have been so many artists who have won a grammy award and then disappeared. 
    What does make one A-list celebrity, if not popularity?
    edited March 2017 Rayz2016
  • Reply 12 of 17
    cali said:
    Soli said:
    cali said:

I'm pissed. 

Uh...he was making a name for himself before that. Apple didn't sling half a mil at some nobody. They wanted the exclusive because he'd already been blowing up. His first album was included on several "best of" album lists for 2013 like Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, Complex, etc. He'd followed that up with another critically acclaimed EP. And that doesn't even count his appearance on albums from Kayne, Childish Gambino and others. That doesn't mean you have to like his music, but let's not rewrite history in the process.
    edited March 2017 Soli
  • Reply 13 of 17
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Soli said:
    cali said:

I'm pissed. 

Yeah, where is Sam Smith these days?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Soli said:
    cali said:

I'm pissed. 

I'm not really into Sam Smith's music either, but 2014-15 was such a crazy breakout year for him, he (rightly in my opinion) stepped back and didn't rush another record out.  He co-wrote a song for the film "Spectre" that won an Oscar in 2016 but that's about it.  He's also had to deal with a crappy record label that took advantage of him years ago and has some old masters from his "actual" debut they released and muddied the waters with, making it all but impossible to release any new material around the end of 2016.  His next album is supposed to release in the next few months.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Soli said:
    cali said:

I'm pissed. 

Don't we see a typical cycle of releasing and promoting an album that becomes a hit, going on tour for a couple years, taking time off, recording more song, putting out a new album (repeat)?

For example, Taylor Swift's last album was 2014. 
  • Reply 16 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Surely the information surrounding his agreement with Apple is covered by an NDA. What an idiot.
    That was my first thought.  I was also curious how rap gets described as music but that's another discussion I supose.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 17 of 17
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Great deal. Wow. Big player management etc at work, and they'll all take their share of the deal. No doubt a huge feat for everyone involved. Now I had to listen to the album because of all the different opinions here, ha ha.

Musically, I personally think it's a somewhat sloppy and a little messy production. The rapper seems ok, but no Skepta or JME miracle energy. He sounds unusually cozy though :smile: which I think is part of the whole uniqueness of this album. This friendly attitude makes this album special. It's chill and cozy, and doesn't scream for attention. That's pretty cool in this genre. Also it's produced with a warm, almost analog acoustic feel. No I get it now. I take the sloppy remarks back. It feels pretty real actually. Most rap music today is overly electronically produced, leaving little trace of a human touch. But this seems to have a lot of human touch in it. A lot of nice live recorded elements in a lot of the songs giving it this "real" feel.
    ... Not too shabby after all..