Apple's online store will close Tuesday morning, fueling rumors of new products

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2017
Apple's updated system status page now discloses upcoming maintenance for the company's website, revealing that there is a planned outage scheduled for early Tuesday morning, potentially in anticipation of a new 128-gigabyte iPhone SE and more.

The updated page reveals that all users will be affected by Apple Store maintenance from 3 a.m. until 8:30 a.m. Eastern. Perhaps not coincidentally, 8:30 a.m. Eastern is usually when Apple issues press releases for announcements, including new products.

The company also usually takes down its online store for a few hours when product updates are set to launch. The downtime allows landing pages and purchasing options for new devices.

The announcement comes a week after rumors began suggesting that Apple is set to launch unnamed new products this week. Citing "reputable supply chain analysts," MacRumors indicated that the company is gearing up for new devices set to launch without a keynote presentation.

The lack of a keynote would suggest that whatever Apple has up its sleeve is minor. While new iPads -- and in particular a redesigned 10.5-inch model --?are expected to arrive soon, launching them without a media event would be unexpected.

Other potential options include a rumored 128-gigabyte iPhone SE, which would double the maximum capacity of Apple's entry-level phone. The iPhone SE launched at the end of March last year, so the timing could make some sense.

There have also been rumblings of a new (Product)Red iPhone 7 color option, expanding the flagship iPhone lineup mid cycle in a potential boost to sales before the "iPhone 8" hits later this year.

Apple is also said to be working on a new entry-level 9.7-inch iPad that could replace the iPad Air 2. However, it seems unlikely that Apple would refresh the low-end iPad separate from an event where high-end iPad Pro models are expected to be announced. It's more likely that Apple would launch all three anticipated products --?the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, a new 10.5-inch model, and an entry-level 9.7-inch version --?at the same time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    A new MacPro?!
    dysamoria
  • Reply 2 of 43
    4K Apple TV?
  • Reply 3 of 43
    It's new Watch bands. 
    MetriacanthosauruspeterhartThe_Martini_Catdysamoriawlym
  • Reply 4 of 43
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    128GB SE - I assume they did their research, but doesn't quite make sense to me - the lowest resolution, entry level device needs this much memory? To think I have an ipad with 16GB (that requires 'app shuffling' all the time) - that truly is backwards.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    Fatman said:
    128GB SE - I assume they did their research, but doesn't quite make sense to me - the lowest resolution, entry level device needs this much memory? To think I have an ipad with 16GB (that requires 'app shuffling' all the time) - that truly is backwards.
    My daughter has a 64 GB SE and would have bought the 128 if it was available. She takes a lot of pictures of her children who are very active in sports. Yes, she would have liked to have a 7 with its better camera but the SE is much cheaper and within her budget. If your 16 GB iPad is not adequate for your needs does your budget allow you to upgrade? I see nothing backwards here.
    edited March 2017 bb-15dtb200
  • Reply 6 of 43
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    2old4fun said:
    Fatman said:
    My daughter has a 64 GB SE and would have bought the 128 if it was available. She takes a lot of pictures of her children who are very active in sports. Yes, she would have liked to have a 7 with its better camera but the SE is much cheaper and within her budget.
    Also the size makes a big difference. There are still many iPhone users who have clung onto their older models because they like the 4" size. All of these people will upgrade too. If Apple went further to introduce a new SE with the latest camera and features found in the 7, they would easily sell another 10-20 million units before they even announce iPhone 8.
    bb-15mike1dysamoriadtb200
  • Reply 7 of 43
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,240member
    A new MacPro?!
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha! Uh, not likely. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Yeah I don't get why at this stage a 128 GB SE would be appropriate. The SE has seen its life cycle, and is no longer as good of a buy this year as it was 1 year ago. 1 year ago when it launched, it was a near-equivalent of the iPhone 6s. Now, it is not only not an iPhone 7 equivalent, but a few months away from being left in the dust by the next iPhone.

Add in the fact that upgrade programs (NEXT, EDGE, JUMP) are prolific and many SE's we likely purchased this way a year ago. Apple is not providing them anything to upgrade to at the 12 month mark. I consider this failure on Apple's part. Even though Apple does not extend its own iPhone Upgrade Program to the SE, which should have been an indication of no annual update by itself, they should be providing one.

The iPhone SE should be updated from a 6s equivalent to a 7 equivalent. A10 processor, new 12 mp camera, Touch ID 2, and 3D Touch.
    polymnia
  • Reply 9 of 43
    wigby said:
    2old4fun said:
    Fatman said:
    My daughter has a 64 GB SE and would have bought the 128 if it was available. She takes a lot of pictures of her children who are very active in sports. Yes, she would have liked to have a 7 with its better camera but the SE is much cheaper and within her budget.
    Also the size makes a big difference. There are still many iPhone users who have clung onto their older models because they like the 4" size. All of these people will upgrade too. If Apple went further to introduce a new SE with the latest camera and features found in the 7, they would easily sell another 10-20 million units before they even announce iPhone 8.
    Good points...I just bought an Se b/c it's small, light and $200 (Refurbished). So much lighter than my 5c or 4s. Love the Touch ID! :)
    edited March 2017 dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 43
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

The iPhone SE should be updated from a 6s equivalent to a 7 equivalent. A10 processor, new 12 mp camera, Touch ID 2, and 3D Touch.
    Or just make a smaller phone size with all the latest goodies... and 'gods of thin design forbid' make it thicker to do so.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 11 of 43
    boeyc15 said:

Or just make a smaller phone size with all the latest goodies... and 'gods of thin design forbid' make it thicker to do so.
    Well obviously using the existing and established design and manufacturing for the 5 series is a major cost advantage and probably what makes this product even possible. 
    The SE is as much about being a low cost iPhone as it is about being a 4" iPhone.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 43
    A new MacPro?!
    They will probably remove Mac Pro and Mac Mini from the online store and never speak of them again.
    king editor the gratedysamoriaretrogusto
  • Reply 13 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    A new MacPro?!
    They will probably remove Mac Pro and Mac Mini from the online store and never speak of them again.
    That's been predicted for nearly a decade and still hasn't come to pass, just like Apple hasn't yet shuttered its doors.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 43
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,460member
    An all wheel drive Apple off-road crossover autonomous car, that flies and dives like a submarine!! Comes with Apple stickers, a headphone jack, and an SD card slot!
    aaronjpolymnia
  • Reply 15 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Probably just a bump up on the iPads, no?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 16 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Probably just a bump up on the iPads, no?
    That would be my guess, but I could make an argument for bumping the Mac Pro, too, even though I think that is exceedingly unlikely.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 17 of 43
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member
    An all wheel drive Apple off-road crossover autonomous car, that flies and dives like a submarine!! Comes with Apple stickers, a headphone jack, and an SD card slot!
    Wrong. Will not have a headphone jack nor an SD card slot.
    edited March 2017 dtb200
  • Reply 18 of 43
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    New.
    iMac.
    Please.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 43
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    They bought Tidal.
    Gives them access to high rez files, MQA, and integrated HiFi equipment contracts.
    Will integrate into the 'Beats' brand with direct streaming to the headphones.

But this is only half the story. They are also releasing a pair of shoes.
    They have a electrical compression capture system that will power the bluetooth and cellular technology inside the heel. This allows for the iPhone 8 form factor to be a
    1mm screen that jetisons/unravels from the iwatch to form a 7" oled display - with touch.

It's going to be exciting.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Cue Q...