Microsoft inserting ads into Windows 10 File Explorer

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2017
Microsoft continues aggressively promoting its own services in Task Bar notifications when using third party browsers, and most recently has been caught injecting advertisements to sign up for paid OneDrive subscriptions in the Windows 10 -- but the File Explorer ad can be disabled.

Screen capture: Reddit user
Screen capture: Reddit user "Tall_Ships_For_Life"

Continuing a trend set by persistent nags, and forced migrations to Windows 10, Microsoft started the File Explorer notifications earlier in March. The advertisement for the paid service pops up in the Quick Access screen when File Explorer is opened, even without looking for a network share to store files.

"The new tips notifications within the File Explorer in Windows 10 were designed to help Windows 10 customers by providing quick, easy information to enhance the experience relative to storage and cloud file management," a spokesperson said in a statement provided to AppleInsider. "That said, with Windows 10 customers can easily opt out of receiving these notifications if they choose."

Why this "tip" isn't shunted to the Windows 10 notification center isn't clear. The service inducement appears regardless if the user has paid for a Windows 10 license or not.

Windows users can disable the Microsoft service advertisement in the File Explorer, by selecting View, then Options, then clicking on Change folder and search options.

In the window that pops up, select the View tab, scroll to the bottom of the list, and de-select Show sync provider notifications. Click OK to close the window.

This setting was automatically re-enabled following a routine OS patch after AppleInsider tested the procedure, so frequent checks may be in order.

Tech maven Paul Thurrott notes that given the name of the parameter, that advertisements for other internet-based file storage services may be coming.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Wow.

Just wow. 

Why didn't they put the notification toggle in the same window as the ad? If I was a suspicious person then I'd say they were trying to stop people from turning it off. 
    zroger73dysamorialostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    yuck.
    dysamorialostkiwiration al
  • Reply 3 of 22
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    The new Ad-ware infection... Windows 10 itself. LOL
    lostkiwiStrangeDaysjbdragonedredbonobobwatto_cobraazurGeorgeBMacration al
  • Reply 4 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    ads in the file manager? that is ludicrous. no taste. 
    dysamorialostkiwijbdragonwatto_cobraration al
  • Reply 5 of 22
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    Looks like my schedule for migration to Mac has moved up significantly.
    lostkiwibonobobwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Good time to back to:

watto_cobrafafot
  • Reply 7 of 22
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Seriously? Is there anything they won't do to make people upgrade etc..constant nagging, then they infect it into the File Explorer
    dysamoriajbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member

Windows users can disable the Microsoft service advertisement in the File Explorer, by selecting View, then Options, then clicking on Change folder and search options.

In the window that pops up, select the View tab, scroll to the bottom of the list, and de-select Show sync provider notifications. Click OK to close the window.

This is such a typical MS way of doing things. So utterly convoluted, and so completely buried in the settings that the average user will probably just live with the annoyance. 
    edited March 2017 dysamorialostkiwiStrangeDaysedredwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    hexclock said:

This is such a typical MS way of doing things. So utterly convoluted, and so completely buried in the settings that the average user will probably just live with the annoyance. 
    Ha ha. That is just funny. I remember a very long time ago when I worked for a company that were MS based and the hours I spent scratching my head, and finally just clicking blindly trying every option available. As the options were always many layers / tabs deep I usually failed and ended up as you say, living with the problem. 

Any kind of ads embedded in the OS is just a bad idea, period. I remember there was a time we were discussing wether Apple would do something like that in order to provide a free OS. Didn't Opera have embedded ads way back when?
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I hate Windows. The reasons just keep building. 
    edredwatto_cobraP-DogNCration al
  • Reply 11 of 22
    mainyehcmainyehc Posts: 133member
    How is this any different from Apple's very own “iCloud ran out of space to backup your iPhone” nag alert box?

They will also get you hooked on an essential part of a supposedly free service and, because the latter can't support the former indefinitely, nag the hell out of you until you either pay up or stop using it. The only reason I still keep getting the nag box is because I haven't gotten around to disabling iCloud backup or deleting older backups, but I already reverted to using iTunes to make local backups for a while now, so… mission accomplished, Apple.

And, for the record, besides iPhone backups, I don't even use any heavy stuff like iCloud Photo Library or Desktop/Documents sync, just plain old iCloud for lite apps (Calendar, Contacts, Notes) and iCloud mail. The free tier is obscenely small and insufficient for all but the most basic of needs.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 12 of 22
    I'm actually not too offended by this type of advertising. The headline made it seem like they were using the Windows Explorer as an advertisement platform, to sell ad space to the highest bidder. Which, btw, would usually be tailored based on the contents of your documents and behaviour, which they would get by spying on your activities. THAT would be offensive.

This is just Microsoft pushing another Microsoft service, which plays a direct and immediate role in the user's use of the Windows Explorer itself. I think it's understandable. This is very much like when the Music App on iOS or iTunes on the Mac started showing the pre-screen asking if you'd like to sign up for Apple Music. I've always been okay with that. It's part of the app. It's not like one opens the Music app and sees an ad for tampons, or dog food, or a trip to Hawaii, or something.

Greg.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    uniscape said:
    Good time to back to:

That was Norton's one and only good product and I still hated it
    uniscape
  • Reply 14 of 22
    mainyehc said:
    How is this any different from Apple's very own “iCloud ran out of space to backup your iPhone” nag alert box?
    Because that nag box only comes up when you run low on space. The Windows one comes up all the time.
    mainyehcRayz2016StrangeDaysedredwatto_cobraration al
  • Reply 15 of 22
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Sign of the times. Is Microsofts ship sinking?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mainyehc said:

They will also get you hooked on an essential part of a supposedly free service and, because the latter can't support the former indefinitely, nag the hell out of you until you either pay up or stop using it. The only reason I still keep getting the nag box is because I haven't gotten around to disabling iCloud backup or deleting older backups, but I already reverted to using iTunes to make local backups for a while now, so… mission accomplished, Apple.

And, for the record, besides iPhone backups, I don't even use any heavy stuff like iCloud Photo Library or Desktop/Documents sync, just plain old iCloud for lite apps (Calendar, Contacts, Notes) and iCloud mail. The free tier is obscenely small and insufficient for all but the most basic of needs.
    I keep hearing this and have never see it. I see the Apple Music ad every time I upgrade iOS, but it doesn't come up again until the next upgrade. I wonder if they run the ad based on the size of your music library or something. 

Oh, and it's completely different to your example. Even if you have plenty of disk space, Microsoft still shows the ad. 
    StrangeDaysedredwatto_cobraration al
  • Reply 17 of 22
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    As a Windows 10 user, I HATE the ad's. First they force the OS on everyone. Spy on everything people are doing, and now dumping more and more ad's onto people. If MS wan to drive people away from Windows more, they're doing a even better job of it. I know a number of people that have jumped ship to Linux. No ad's and no spying.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    mainyehc said:
    There is a difference - as pointed out above but I agree the 5 gb limit is ridiculous, and a little insulting.  But the 50gb version is so cheap it is silly not to pay it. You have a choice, back up to your Mac or PC, or pay for iCloud. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    fafotfafot Posts: 19member
    Just another incentive not to use it and use alternatives like QTabBar.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    fivizzanofivizzano Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Seems that Microsoft needs another bloody, painful and EXPENSIVE CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT..... Injecting ads into SOMETHING I PAID FOR means its slowing me down, its using bandwidth without permission, its INFRINGING ON MY PRIVACY..... WHAT ABOUT A ONE BILLION DOLLAR CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT ???