Samsung reveals new 'Bixby' AI assistant to take on Apple's Siri

Posted:
in General Discussion
Confirming rumors, Samsung on Monday revealed the existence of "Bixby," a new AI assistant that should debut with the Galaxy S8 later this month and challenge Apple's Siri with some new technologies.

Bixby will, for instance, be capable of handling many tasks that otherwise use touch or button input, Samsung said. Siri -- and other AIs, like Google Assistant -- typically only support a small selection of voice commands per app, if any. Through contextual awareness, Bixby users should even be able to mix touch and voice input.

Bixby will also offer what Samsung describes as "cognitive tolerance," allowing it to recognize commands with incomplete information. As needed, it will prompt for more details.

In iOS 10 and macOS Sierra, Siri still requires that people use specific, fully-formed voice commands, which also don't adapt to what's onscreen. Google Assistant is more flexible, but doesn't support a mix of touch and voice.

The S8 will have a dedicated Bixby button letting people trigger the assistant at any time, Samsung noted. Just a handful of pre-installed apps will support the platform at first however, and the company will only "eventually" release an SDK for third-party developers.

First-party support should gradually extend to other Samsung hardware, including not just phones but devices like TVs and air conditioners.

Apple is thought to be working on upgrades to Siri that could debut alongside the "iPhone 8" this fall. What those might be is unknown, but Apple has been investing heavily in AI and machine learning, and may try to match rivals as much as it can without deviating from privacy policies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    I fully expected them to call it "S-Siri," so good job on the originality for once Samsung!
    hmurchisoncaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 33
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    My initial impression is that "Siri / Hey, Siri", "Alexa / Amazon / Echo / Computer", and "OK Google" are logical and/or somewhat marketable. Maybe it's just because it's new and from Samsung, but "Bixby" sounds like a quickly-thought-up, childish knock-off... Oh, wait... Did Samsung play Pin The Tail On the Donkey and end up pinning Bixby, Oklahoma?
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I read somewhere that they've integrated the AI into the proximity sensor. 

When you put your ear to the phone, Bixby will shout 'BANG!' at full volume. 

It's a safety feature apparently. 
    edited March 2017 cornchiponeof52leavingthebiggcali2old4funjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 33
    If Bixby does not work out, Samsung can always 'fire' him/her.
    eightzero2old4funwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 33
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Rayz2016 said:

I don't know why I find that so hysterical.

Bixby? Was that the last name on earth to choose from? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 33
    darelrexdarelrex Posts: 134member
    Hey, wasn't Google going to squelch this with an Android non-compete clause? Whatever happened to that?
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 33
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    Rayz2016 said:

Favorite post! LOL 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 33
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    Bixby makes me think of this guy...

king editor the gratezroger73SpamSandwich2old4funk2kwcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 33
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    I thought Samsung bought the startup of the guys that created Siri after they left Apple. Is this that?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 33
    waverboywaverboy Posts: 106member
    I'm glad for extra competition; anything to light a fire under Apple's ass and make them turn Siri into something that's actually useful.
    caliFatmanfluffheadcornchip
  • Reply 12 of 33
    hexclock said:

Yes, that's the fella!

I think they're aiming for a "British butler" sort of a name. Jeeves is taken, and so is Alfred 
    therealestmc
  • Reply 13 of 33
    waverboy said:
    I'm glad for extra competition; anything to light a fire under Apple's ass and make them turn Siri into something that's actually useful.
    True dat. 

After all this time, Siri should be able deliver the WWDC keynote. 
    edited March 2017 apple jockeyfluffheadcornchippatchythepiratetherealestmcwaverboy
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Each time I read this name, I hear Eddie Murphy in my head shouting, "It's Bill Bixby, ladies and gentlemen!" I had to look it up; he said it on SNL season 8, episode 17.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I wonder if Bill Bixby's estate have approved this. After all, you wouldn't want to make them angry. You won't like them when they're angry.

Seriously, though. What an odd name to choose.

hexclockking editor the grateNemWancornchip
  • Reply 16 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Rayz2016 said:
    waverboy said:
    True dat. 

After all this time, Siri should be able deliver the WWDC keynote. 
    Yes the Apple knockoff will make Apple want to compete with the knockoff. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Did they think that S-Iri was too obvious?¡ 

Seriously, more power to them on this.
    evilution
  • Reply 18 of 33
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Shouldn't be too hard to beat Siri. Siri has been neglected from its indroduction and disappoints me nearly every time I use it. Tim Cook - you should be embarrassed. Just yesterday I asked Siri for traffic on the road I was driving on - it gave me four wrong and quite ridiculous answers. I shut it off in frustration. Fix it Tim!
    king editor the gratefluffheadcornchippatchythepiratewaverboy
  • Reply 19 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    hexclock said:

No one will like this phone when they're angry.
    StrangeDaysNemWanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 33
    question: hey sammy, so tell me, how does this product blow up?
    watto_cobra