Samsung reveals new 'Bixby' AI assistant to take on Apple's Siri

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    razormaid said:
    If you recall there was a lot of hoopla about Viv after their one presentation. Then when Samsung purchases them there were a ton of articles about how Viv was going to embarrass Siri. After reading about it on Verge, appears Siri has nothing to worry about.
    edited March 2017 Mal_Rwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 33
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    here is the issue with the AI assistance especially one which you ask it to do something for your, you have to know the syntax and know which commands to use. it requires you to memorize all the correct commands. You can not just say hey want to make this app do this for me. it only works if the AI know that app can do that thing and you used the correct syntax for that app. the AI assistants are mostly a toy, I still do not see lots of people using them. Every once in a while I see someone talking to the phone trying to get it to so something or answer a questions for them. Most time I think is rude when people are doing this in public, I am not interested in hearing them talk to Siri or Google. 
  • Reply 23 of 33
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    razormaid said:
    I thought Samsung bought the startup of the guys that created Siri after they left Apple. Is this that?
    They have a great tech without a doubt. Apple didn't want to monopolize on it because of privacy concerns, but there is no doubt if one company that can make most powerful Ai that would be Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 33
    If the competition gets Apple to wake up and improve Siri then I am all for it. I had Siri disabled after trying to get it to work years ago when I got an iPhone 5. When I upgraded to a 6s when it launched I figured I would give it a try. Not long after that, I disabled again. 
    cornchipwaverboy
  • Reply 25 of 33
    After listening to spam voice mail, Bixby: "Your offer Dan, should you decide to accept it... this battery will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, Dan."
    edited March 2017 Mal_Rwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 33
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    fluffhead said:
    If the competition gets Apple to wake up and improve Siri then I am all for it. I had Siri disabled after trying to get it to work years ago when I got an iPhone 5. When I upgraded to a 6s when it launched I figured I would give it a try. Not long after that, I disabled again. 
    I've never met any in person who didn't think the same about Siri and do the same.
    Need to see how Alexa on my phone works though.   Love Alexa at home.

fluffhead
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Ian SIan S Posts: 2member
    "Another example of removing friction will be the dedicated Bixby button that will be located on the side of our next device. Confusion around activating a voice interface is a barrier we have removed to make it feel easier and more comfortable to give commands. For example, instead of taking multiple steps to make a call – turning on and unlocking the phone, looking for the phone application, clicking on the contact bar to search for the person that you’re trying to call and pressing the phone icon to start dialing – you will be able to do all these steps with one push of the Bixby button and a simple command."

Wow!!! Unheard of!!! I wish I could do this by holding down my home button!!!
    edited March 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 33
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    I'm surprised they decided upon a consonant cluster for something that is supposed to connote ease of use.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 33
    waverboy said:
    I'm glad for extra competition; anything to light a fire under Apple's ass and make them turn Siri into something that's actually useful.
    I find Siri very useful.  
    Ian Swatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 33
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    razormaid said:
    I thought Samsung bought the startup of the guys that created Siri after they left Apple. Is this that?
    There's some confusion. Some people I've heard claim that it isn't Viv, but just an iteration of S-Voice. Haven't seen anything definitive myself. Still, it doesn't make sense to buy Viv and then roll out something else without at least using some of it.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Fatman said:
    Shouldn't be too hard to beat Siri. Siri has been neglected from its indroduction and disappoints me nearly every time I use it. Tim Cook - you should be embarrassed. Just yesterday I asked Siri for traffic on the road I was driving on - it gave me four wrong and quite ridiculous answers. I shut it off in frustration. Fix it Tim!
    Siri has never been able to report traffic conditions like that, so of course you didn't get the answer you wanted. Stick to what it knows and it works well. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 33

Here are the reasons why I feel Samsung might come back into the battle of personal AI assistants and maybe even tip the playing field.

• Acquisition of Viv Labs, the company that was started by the creators of Apple’s Siri themselves which has already had their third-party integrations in the iOS
    • They have learnt from their past mistakes, especially with their Samsung S Voice being so slow, clumsy, and unable to do what a personal AI assistant should do, that is to assist
    • The need to lift up their image of their brand after being associated with explosions.
    • Get more users to shift over to Samsung to increase their global market share
    • Ambition. As they have already planned out their goals to bring Bixby to other home appliances.
    • Most importantly, they are being different. Samsung knows, that they can’t compete with Google, Apple, Microsoft in this battle of the raw machine learning power and putting enormous amounts of information right at your fingertips. So Samsung has built Bixby to be a resilient AI assistant that carries out what it was meant to do which is provide you with options that can make it easier with the way you handle your daily tasks in your phone with a focus on productivity.

Read more at Saint