Apple's iPhone slipping in China because company won't adapt, says Oppo & Vivo founder

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    sog35 said:
    Check out their website:

http://www.oppo.com/en/smartphone-f1-plus

Its pretty pathetic how much they shamelessly copy Apple.

I mean seriously. Copying App icons and even friken screen savers. my god. so pathetic.
    Wow, those home screen icons are a shameless ripoff -- they even copied the weird new gear gog for iOS Settings. and the TouchID ripoff screens are total ripoffs. 

Oppo = copy machine
    edited March 2017 magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 33
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    That guys sounds like our current president. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Does Duan drive a luxury car that he complains can't compete with cheap Japanese subcompacts? Seriously, a company can stake its place in whatever segment of the market it chooses, and Apple has done pretty well so far from a profit standpoint.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 33
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    The only thing Oppo and Vivo surpass Apple at is intellectual property theft. 
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 25 of 33
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    rob53 said:
    I don't get it. The founder of two cheap Chinese phone brands lives in the US? Go figure.
    More importantly he keeps his money in Switzerland.
    watto_cobratokyojimu
  • Reply 26 of 33
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    "Apple couldn't beat us in China because even they have flaws," said Duan. 

His arguments are full of flaws.  Can he explain why Google its Android OS his phones use price the inferior Pixel phones at the same price as iPhone 7s? He is simply diverting the facts that his company copies every aspect of iPhones including the web page is blatant copyright violation of Apple web page. 
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 27 of 33
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Do the Chinese auto manufacturers say the same thing about Porsche, Mercedes-Benz and BMW in China? Maybe they do, but Chinese consumers are still paying top dollar for those high-end vehicles. I'm not sure what cars are being made in China but the rich Chinese are going after those imported cars. If some companies want to go after the financially strapped consumer that's all well and good but for these manufacturers to be saying Apple is foolish to not lower prices makes very little sense at all. They should be grateful Apple isn't trying to step into their price range. They shouldn't be grousing at Apple, they should be thanking Apple. Oh, well. Everyone has to be a critic. These manufacturers should tend to their own business and leave Apple to do its own thing. Is Tim Cook telling Oppo and Vivo how they should run their business? Hardly. Apple has its own business formula and sticks with it and it seems quite successful so far.
    China is the number one auto market in the world.  Most of the world auto makers have set up plants in China including GM, F, Toyota, Honda, etc. I don't know if BMW, MB have plants. 
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Mal_RMal_R Posts: 2member
    sog35 said:
    Check out their website:

http://www.oppo.com/en/smartphone-f1-plus

Its pretty pathetic how much they shamelessly copy Apple.

I mean seriously. Copying App icons and even friken screen savers. my god. so pathetic.
    I see what you mean, and I thought Samsung was bad!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 33
    The Oppo/Vivo CEO sounds similar to the LeEco CEO last year.

Let's see what happens to the company throughout this year.
    It looks like the article on Bloomberg is a clickbait. Is there a complete interview of Duan? If you read the article on Bloomberg, it's clear that Duan is only acting as an inventor or founder of Oppo/Vivo,  who is far away from the operation. He even said that if the team at Oppo/Vivo can't make it work, he won't do anything except to close the shop gracefully. 
  • Reply 30 of 33
    tzeshan said:
    "Apple couldn't beat us in China because even they have flaws," said Duan. 

His arguments are full of flaws.  Can he explain why Google its Android OS his phones use price the inferior Pixel phones at the same price as iPhone 7s? He is simply diverting the facts that his company copies every aspect of iPhones including the web page is blatant copyright violation of Apple web page. 
    I think there is something lost in the translation. Duan bets big on Apple, he tied up most of his own money in Apple stocks. Look at Oppo's offerings, they don't compete with iPhones, they compete with other android makers. They sell mostly in the 3rd or 4th tier cities, lots of cities collectively, in China. 
  • Reply 31 of 33
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    getvoxoa said:
    I still think that Apple didn't make what many high-end users want in China: dual SIM cards iPhones. They go nuts over there dual sim card phones.
    Apple is too often close-minded when it comes to making changes for other markets. Here in Vietnam, where the iPhone has 50+% urban smartphone market share, many iPhone owners also carry a dumbphone with a SIM on another carrier. 
    cali
  • Reply 32 of 33
    One thing he said makes sense, actually: why Apple doesn't sell in installments in China? Beats me. Here in Brazil, a market where an iPhone 7 costs 4 times the minimum wage, Apple stores sells in 10 installments. Any problems with that in China?