kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    "This, doesn't work"
    httpstatic3businessinsidercomimage4cbf452ecadcbbd72e010000-480tchjpg
    quadra 610roundaboutnowmagman1979propodwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 59
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    sflocal said:
    jorgie said:
    Laugh all you want. After switching back and forth from her iPad to her MacBook Air, my wife got tired of not having a touch screen on her computer so we switched her to a Dell convertible. Since most of her computer time is spent in Word or Chrome, the move was really easy. The only thing she misses is Face Time. EDIT: It is also worth mentioning that we got the same CPU/integrated-video but a lower resolution screen, for less than 50% of the cost of a new MBA.
    I went on a diving trip with my buddy (a network engineer) and bought a new surface pro while I took my MBP.  He's an avid Windows user.

Sure enough, by the middle of the trip, he just about threw that SurfacePro out the window in frustration.  Typical Windows drama and reliability.  The way I saw him rip out a USB cable from that thing as it was acting up actually made me think he was seriously losing it.
    That system just had a personal that is typical when working on Windows machines.
    I don't think that's a typical experience in the SP4, when you consider the customer satisfaction is as high as iPads. 

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2016-us-tablet-satisfaction-study-volume-1

• Reply 23 of 59
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member
    paxman said:
    jbdragon said:
    I just don't get the whole touch screen on laptops and especially desktops.  
    I know a dual OS guy who cannot understand why Apple doesn't have a touchscreen on their MacBooks. He says he uses it all the time - obviously not for spreadsheet or photoshop work, and the like, but for flipping through windows and browsing etc. When I tried the new MBP with the touch bar, I found myself going for the screen on more than one occasion, and I have never even used a laptop with a touch screen. I found that my hands having left the keyboard, and now using touch at the back, away from the trackpad but very close to the screen, my hands automatically moved up to the screen following on from the trackpad. All to say it made me realize the leap is not so big and to have a touch screen input is not necessarily a terrible idea. I think the reason MS has touchscreen and Apple does not has to do with Windows being optimized for touch and OSX not. 
    As a 'dual OS guy' I can concur.  I use a touch enabled laptop for work and it becomes habit to reach for certain functions and some it doesn't.  Workflow is easier to swipe down on your screen to read through a list or spreadsheet.  My stance is that some things work better than others on BOTH OS's. Apple should seriously look at touch screens for at least their MacBooks, I can't see myself using touch on my iMac but when I'm on a plane or sitting in an office somewhere on a laptop I'd use it.

• Reply 24 of 59
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Laugh all you want guys, but it is a bit hollow.
    the only reason this migration tool has any traction, and attention, is there is an element of truth.
    There is a problem with the state of the Mac, and sales are less than they would have been if the Mac had been given some real love rather than neglect.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 25 of 59
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member

johnnash said:
    paxman said:
    jbdragon said:
    I just don't get the whole touch screen on laptops and especially desktops.  
    I know a dual OS guy who cannot understand why Apple doesn't have a touchscreen on their MacBooks. He says he uses it all the time - obviously not for spreadsheet or photoshop work, and the like, but for flipping through windows and browsing etc. When I tried the new MBP with the touch bar, I found myself going for the screen on more than one occasion, and I have never even used a laptop with a touch screen. I found that my hands having left the keyboard, and now using touch at the back, away from the trackpad but very close to the screen, my hands automatically moved up to the screen following on from the trackpad. All to say it made me realize the leap is not so big and to have a touch screen input is not necessarily a terrible idea. I think the reason MS has touchscreen and Apple does not has to do with Windows being optimized for touch and OSX not. 
    As a 'dual OS guy' I can concur.  I use a touch enabled laptop for work and it becomes habit to reach for certain functions and some it doesn't.  Workflow is easier to swipe down on your screen to read through a list or spreadsheet.  My stance is that some things work better than others on BOTH OS's. Apple should seriously look at touch screens for at least their MacBooks, I can't see myself using touch on my iMac but when I'm on a plane or sitting in an office somewhere on a laptop I'd use it.

Yes, I have a HP and about the only thing I use the touchscreen for is scrolling. It isn't precise enough for anything else. It is better than the lame trackpad they come with, at least in comparison to our MBAs' excellent trackpad.
    but you get used to using the touchscreen for scrolling pretty quick and find yourself trying to do it on the MBA.
    cornchipavon b7
  • Reply 26 of 59
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    entropys said:
    the only reason this migration tool has any traction, and attention, is there is an element of truth.
    There is a problem with the state of the Mac, and sales are less than they would have been if the Mac had been given some real love rather than neglect.

Sales last quarter were 5.4 million. That's typically on the high end for Macs.
    cornchipwatto_cobraration al
  • Reply 27 of 59
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    VVCC tech said:
    This should be helpful for the tens of people who will ever want to move from a Mac to a surface.

Seriously, all sarcasm and joking aside, if you're that person I would love to talk to you and just ask "why?"

My co-worker. His answer? Literally? Wait for it....

"Ever since Steve Jobs died Apple's gone downhill blah blah blah blah blah ...."

He actually sold his iPad Pro (and pencil) citing some other stuff about Photoshop and a "real OS".

Ridiculous.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 59
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    kkerst said:
    "This, doesn't work"
    But this does:

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the argument that a MacBook Pro or an iMac shouldn't have a touchscreen anymore.
    edited March 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 59
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    kkerst said:
    "This, doesn't work"
    But this does:

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the argument that a MacBook Pro or an iMac shouldn't have a touchscreen anymore.
    I think that was in reference to, then, OS X not being optimized for touch. Sure, it could be done but should it? I think ergonomically, it's a nightmare.
    roundaboutnowration al
  • Reply 30 of 59
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    entropys said:
    Truthfully speaking, this is just another in a long line of Microsoft publicity stunts.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 59
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    viclauyyc said:
    Feel bad for the programmer. It is like the people who install turning light for BMW. 

Not following your comparison. Are you saying a turning light is only for lower-class or something? Not enough people use signal lights.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    I still hold out hope that Apple will NEVER make an iMac with touchscreen. Why would I want to touch the screen of any Mac I own? That is why I have an iPad.
    watto_cobraration al
  • Reply 33 of 59
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    We've reached a new low.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 59
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    eightzero said:
    jorgie said:
    sog35 said:
    jorgie said:
    Laugh all you want. After switching back and forth from her iPad to her MacBook Air, my wife got tired of not having a touch screen on her computer so we switched her to a Dell convertible. Since most of her computer time is spent in Word or Chrome, the move was really easy. The only thing she misses is Face Time.
    whatever Jorgie...

You only got 6 posts dude.

ROLF.. so since don't post a lot my opinion doesn't matter?  Go ___ your hat.
    Welcome to AI. Please don't feed our sog-troll. 
    That's the second thread I've read today where Sog discounted someone's post while citing the number of times they've posted. 
    If we ignore Sog's 12,106 nonsensical posts, he would have 6 as well.
    edited March 2017 leehammrogifan_newavon b7watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 59
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Look, if it is fair for Apple to make a migration assistant for Windows users (and they do), and fair for Apple to offer a migration to iOS app for Android users (which is on the Google Play store), then its fair for Windows (and Google) to make migration apps for their platform (which they do). This barely even qualifies as news, much less as a point for debate.
    rogifan_new
  • Reply 36 of 59
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    viclauyyc said:
    Feel bad for the programmer. It is like the people who install turning light for BMW. 
    Now that is funny. 
  • Reply 37 of 59
    chasm said:
    Look, if it is fair for Apple to make a migration assistant for Windows users (and they do), and fair for Apple to offer a migration to iOS app for Android users (which is on the Google Play store), then its fair for Windows (and Google) to make migration apps for their platform (which they do). This barely even qualifies as news, much less as a point for debate.
    That's too much logic for most people here. Because Apple does it, it's all great but when someone else does it, it's dumb because no one would leave Apple. 
    rogifan_newavon b7GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 38 of 59

Unfortunately, I got a crack on the screen of my Surface Pro 3, which pretty much put an end to its tablet capabilities. With the crack, it always registers random touch gestures, even when I am not touching the screen. It made it impossible to use, so I had to turn off the touchscreen and use it as a traditional PC with an external monitor, mouse and keyboard.

The ports also exhibit weird behaviour - the USB devices connected suddenly stop working till I unplug and plug them in again and the connected monitor starts flashing and the display keeps switching between the external monitor and the built-in monitor till I unplug the monitor, pray to some deity and then plug it in again.

The sad part is that the screen cannot be replaced now as they are not in stock.

In contrast, my kid dropped his iPad and developed a huge crack on the screen. It has not affected the touch screen functionality at all, nor has it affected any of the ports.

watto_cobralinkman
  • Reply 39 of 59
    viclauyyc said:

Not following your comparison. Are you saying a turning light is only for lower-class or something? Not enough people use signal lights.
    It's a common joke in the car world that Bimmer people don't use the turn signal. It was very funny. 
  • Reply 40 of 59
    viclauyyc said:

It's a common joke in the car world that Bimmer people don't use the turn signal. It was very funny. 
    The sad thing is that the idiots who used to drive a Beemer now drive Audi's (esp TT's) and are even worse at signalling than before.