Microsoft creates tool to help Apple users migrate data from Mac to Surface

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    Is MS aware that Apple sold 5.4 million Macs last quarter? That's on the high end for Mac sales. 
    And were those iMac purchasers aware that they were buying the previous year's models?

Apple said that most of its sales for the quarter went to new users. Depending on how many iMacs were sold, that could be a not insignificant amount of people.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    johnnash said:
    paxman said:
    jbdragon said:
    I just don't get the whole touch screen on laptops and especially desktops.  
    I know a dual OS guy who cannot understand why Apple doesn't have a touchscreen on their MacBooks. He says he uses it all the time - obviously not for spreadsheet or photoshop work, and the like, but for flipping through windows and browsing etc. When I tried the new MBP with the touch bar, I found myself going for the screen on more than one occasion, and I have never even used a laptop with a touch screen. I found that my hands having left the keyboard, and now using touch at the back, away from the trackpad but very close to the screen, my hands automatically moved up to the screen following on from the trackpad. All to say it made me realize the leap is not so big and to have a touch screen input is not necessarily a terrible idea. I think the reason MS has touchscreen and Apple does not has to do with Windows being optimized for touch and OSX not. 
    As a 'dual OS guy' I can concur.  I use a touch enabled laptop for work and it becomes habit to reach for certain functions and some it doesn't.  Workflow is easier to swipe down on your screen to read through a list or spreadsheet.  My stance is that some things work better than others on BOTH OS's. Apple should seriously look at touch screens for at least their MacBooks, I can't see myself using touch on my iMac but when I'm on a plane or sitting in an office somewhere on a laptop I'd use it.

That is exactly it. There is a market for keyboards for tablets. Keyboards can make using tablets easier for some things. 

A tablet with a keyboard is basically a laptop with a different OS. I can't see why traditional laptops can't take advantage of a touchscreen for some things.

Even on an iMac, but to a lesser degree as the screen size increases, although if they decided to implement a Surface Studio style screen down the line, perhaps even to a higher degree.

EDIT: Sorry SpamSandwich, I replied to a previous poster then saw your reply so I basically rehashed what you had already said.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 43 of 59
    houseleyhouseley Posts: 147member
    jorgie said:
    sog35 said:
    jorgie said:
    Laugh all you want. After switching back and forth from her iPad to her MacBook Air, my wife got tired of not having a touch screen on her computer so we switched her to a Dell convertible. Since most of her computer time is spent in Word or Chrome, the move was really easy. The only thing she misses is Face Time.
    whatever Jorgie...

You only got 6 posts dude.

ROLF.. so since don't post a lot my opinion doesn't matter?  Go ___ your hat.

And I notice that I created my account 6 years before you did, poser.
    Bravo. Evaluating the worth of a comment on the basis of the number of posts someone has made is laughable. It's the equivalent of judging the worth of an article on the word count. It's predictable that any item about Microsoft brings out the knee-jerk Microsoft bashers, but good to see comments from adults here for those of us interested in balanced discussion.
  • Reply 44 of 59
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    avon b7 said:
    Is MS aware that Apple sold 5.4 million Macs last quarter? That's on the high end for Mac sales. 
    And were those iMac purchasers aware that they were buying the previous year's models?

Apple said that most of its sales for the quarter went to new users. Depending on how many iMacs were sold, that could be a not insignificant amount of people.
    Point is, 5.4 million macs is nice and all. Just imagine how many more they could have sold if Apple had a new, reasonably priced and flexible laptop, and an up to date desktop line.
    edited March 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 45 of 59
    entropys said:
    avon b7 said:

Point is, 5.4 million macs is nice and all. Just imagine how many more they could have sold if Apple had a new, reasonably priced and flexible laptop, and an up to date desktop line.
    Most definitely. That is an opinion I share 100%. It's not how many they sold that should be uniquely evaluated but if they sold to maximum possible capacity. They clearly didn't in the case of the iMac as very few Mac users would knowingly buy into a machine that was old, with no discounting applied and with the prospect of newer machines just a few months away.

From a'management perspective I would have done anything to remove 'late 2015' from those machines, increasing RAM, SSD, discounting etc. That would have been enough to give new users something that was at least spec bumped at a lower price.

As it stands, I fear a fair few of those new iMac users will feel a little cheesed off if a radically upgraded architecture gets announced today or in the near future.

At least current iMac users who are waiting for any new announcements will be able to pick the old ones at a lower price if the new architecture proves to be too expensive.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    avon b7 said:

It makes no difference. And it's Macs, not just iMacs. The iMac is a specific model of Mac. I have a sneaking suspicion that you have no idea  what you're talking about when it comes to Macs specifically, not to mention their usual quarterly sales cycles in particular.

The only way you can show that folks are switching is to to show a steady decline in Mac sales over multiple quarters. And you can't. Because it's not happening. Apple sells between 3.5 to 5+ million Macs per quarter. It's been in this same range for years and years now, whether people claimed to be happy or unhappy with Macs at the time. 
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 47 of 59
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    entropys said:
    avon b7 said:

Or not. You're making assumptions here that have no basis in reality. 

5.4 million is on the high end... also as in the HISTORICAL high end. Even when Macs were superfuckingawesome  😃😃😃 (according to some) they still barely broke the 5 million mark at best. 

You aren't going to push a lot of volume when you rule the top of the retail computing pyramid. Macs cost $$$$ and are going to experience a pretty sharp cap in volume sales as a result. This is deliberate. Apple also commands the lion's share of profits in this segment as well, especially impressive when most traditional "computers" outside of notebooks are a shrinking segment.

• Reply 48 of 59
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    sog35 said:
    jorgie said:
    Laugh all you want. After switching back and forth from her iPad to her MacBook Air, my wife got tired of not having a touch screen on her computer so we switched her to a Dell convertible. Since most of her computer time is spent in Word or Chrome, the move was really easy. The only thing she misses is Face Time.
    whatever Jorgie...

Only 6 posts? 
    ... So that only proves that he is one of the millions who use Apple products but are not one of the faithful horrified that anybody would prefer something other than Apple.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    jbdragon said:
    It's an added feature -- not either / or....   Use it when it works.   Don't use it when it doesn't.

Too many ApplHolics believe you can EITHER have a touch screen OR a cursor.  
  • Reply 50 of 59
    jorgie said:
    I still hold out hope that Apple will eventually make an iMac with touchscreen.
    I'm curious -- how come you don't believe every Apple exec who said after testing it, that such a thing sucked in practice? Gorilla arms, mouse is faster, more precise, etc..
    So it has to be EITHER / OR?  Really?
  • Reply 51 of 59
    paxman said:
    jbdragon said:
    I know a dual OS guy who cannot understand why Apple doesn't have a touchscreen on their MacBooks. He says he uses it all the time - obviously not for spreadsheet or photoshop work, and the like, but for flipping through windows and browsing etc. When I tried the new MBP with the touch bar, I found myself going for the screen on more than one occasion, and I have never even used a laptop with a touch screen. I found that my hands having left the keyboard, and now using touch at the back, away from the trackpad but very close to the screen, my hands automatically moved up to the screen following on from the trackpad. All to say it made me realize the leap is not so big and to have a touch screen input is not necessarily a terrible idea. I think the reason MS has touchscreen and Apple does not has to do with Windows being optimized for touch and OSX not. 
    Windows is optimized for BOTH touch and cursor input.   Apple is still stuck in Either/Or mode.  As in:  Do you want cake OR ice cream?
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 52 of 59
    kkerst said:
    "This, doesn't work"
    httpstatic3businessinsidercomimage4cbf452ecadcbbd72e010000-480tchjpg
    He also said that users want a small (4") phone.  And, as usual he was right --- because AT THAT TIME, a phone was primarily a phone.   That changed.   Times change.    Technology changes....
  • Reply 53 of 59
    kkerst said:
    "This, doesn't work"
    httpstatic3businessinsidercomimage4cbf452ecadcbbd72e010000-480tchjpg
    But this does:

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the argument that a MacBook Pro or an iMac shouldn't have a touchscreen anymore.
    They won't...  Apple has fully committed to the touch bar instead of the touch screen.
    But that doesn't mean that they will not add a touchpad to the IPad's keyboard.  They have already said the Pro rivals the power of a laptop.   It's time to close the loop.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    avon b7 said:
    OAnd were those iMac purchasers aware that they were buying the previous year's models?

It makes no difference. And it's Macs, not just iMacs. The iMac is a specific model of Mac. I have a sneaking suspicion that you have no idea  what you're talking about when it comes to Macs specifically, not to mention their usual quarterly sales cycles in particular.

The only way you can show that folks are switching is to to show a steady decline in Mac sales over multiple quarters. And you can't. Because it's not happening. Apple sells between 3.5 to 5+ million Macs per quarter. It's been in this same range for years and years now, whether people claimed to be happy or unhappy with Macs at the time. 
    I couldn't speak about Macs generically because that would also include the new MBPs. Apple doesn't break the numbers down.

Now, if they had sold five million new MBPs they would have made a party out of it. Trust me on that one, just to silence the critics. Phil Schiller took the first pop with his very carefully worded 'best internet sales' just one week after going on sale. Nothing more was heard on that subject. It was more likely a bit of chest beating to let off steam amidst ferocious and very vociferous criticism of the new laptops.

Combining price and shipping constraints, let's assume that five million new laptops didn't get shipped. That still leaves a few million to be broken down into among the rest of the laptops and the desktops. I singled out the iMac because it is a very good example of a model that could have been pushed far harder than it was. A spec bump would have been a piece of cake, even in a 'yikes' situation. Yes Apple has been down that alley before. However, they did absolutely nothing.

Things have changed since the last 'Yikes' Mac. The iPhone is the earnings driver now and gets all the love. That's reasonable but from  shareholder perspective the Mac business is still a multi-billion dollar business and it should be run like one to maximise sales. It clearly isn't being run in that manner. That is clear to everyone.

When was the last time an iMac went into the Christmas season with the previous year's model? Even the biggest Fanboy would concede this situation was unheard of in recent memory (and very unlikely to be repeated).

And I'm not saying people were switching. It was Apple.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 55 of 59
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member

The ports also exhibit weird behaviour - the USB devices connected suddenly stop working till I unplug and plug them in again and the connected monitor starts flashing and the display keeps switching between the external monitor and the built-in monitor till I unplug the monitor, pray to some deity and then plug it in again.

You must be new to using Windows.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    I have seen users using a Surface in full tablet mode something like two times out of one thousand. The 998 times have been with the user typing away at the keyboard. And about 1/4 of the time the user had some type of mouse in use. So in laptop mode the Surface user was left with a crappy keyboard and tiny trackpad. While the mouse use pales in comparison to Windows laptop users where I see them use a mouse 98% of the time. If you have a device where you almost always have a keyboard attached then why not make it a good one? Conversely, I never see Mac laptop users with a mouse -- the trackpad on the 2009+ Macs is my favorite pointing device ever.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 57 of 59
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    sog35 said:
    jorgie said:
    whatever Jorgie...

With your over 12k posts, you surely have the market share. Like Androids....
    The dude with 6 posts had 99% value while you had with your 12k posts combined only 1% value (and even that doubtful).

But yeah, having the market margin is so important.

So we know who of you two is posting from the parent's basement, while being to obese to even get out to bring his trash out.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    lexolexo Posts: 26member
    jbdragon said:
    I don't get it as well! We might however be the only ones. Haha