Apple replaces iPad Air 2 with A9-equipped 9.7-inch iPad starting at $329

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2017
As part of a spate of announcements, Apple on Tuesday revealed a new 9.7-inch budget iPad, beginning at $329 and equipped with an A9 processor.

The tablet comes with 32- and 128-gigabyte storage options, and like most iPads a choice between Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular configurations. Silver, gold, and space gray colors are available. Prices can range up to $559 for a cellular-equipped 128-gigabyte tablet.

"New customers and anyone looking to upgrade will love this new iPad for use at home, in school, and for work, with its gorgeous Retina display, our powerful A9 chip, and access to the more than 1.3 million apps designed specifically for it," Apple PR head Phil Schiller said in a prepared statement.

The product also has an 8 megapixel rear camera -- without flash -- and a 1.2-megapixel FaceTime HD camera, enough for 720p video.

Other features include support for Touch ID and the international Apple SIM format, which can make it easier to switch data plans. Active battery life is rated at about 10 hours, the same as the 9.7- and 12.9-inch iPad Pros. Likewise its display has a 2048-by-1536-pixel resolution, matching the 9.7-inch Pro.

Online orders will open on Friday, March 24 at Apple, although select Apple authorized resellers are accepting 9.7-inch iPad pre-orders now. Deliveries and retail sales will only begin the following week, but to over 20 regions, including Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the U.K.

Denmark, India, Mexico, Norway, Russia, Turkey, and various other markets will get the product in April. Brazil, Taiwan and others will follow from May onwards.

Apple is also selling polyurethane Smart Covers for $39, in colors including gray, white, blue, pink, and (Product)Red.
cheers777

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    So basically, they've done very little to try and get more iPad sales. I don't think price was the issue. Unless there's a new regular iPad coming at some point but this sounds like just that.
    williamlondonalbegarc
  • Reply 2 of 44
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    This is a far better price for an iPad, and the A9 is still a stellar SoC.

I still don't know why Apple insists on charging so much more for the mobile data enabled model. 5 years ago $130 was reasonable, but today that should be a bit more reasonable.
    edited March 2017 london111983DavidAlGregorynetmagejony0icoco3
  • Reply 3 of 44
    dronydrony Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Actually, will be on sale in Turkey on 24 March
  • Reply 4 of 44
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    So basically, they've done very little to try and get more iPad sales. I don't think price was the issue. Unless there's a new regular iPad coming at some point but this sounds like just that.
    Price is a huge issue.

165 million tablets were sold last year. There is still a huge chunk of tablet sales that Apple is missing because of price.

The drop to $329 and probably sub $299 during the holiday season should boost new iPad users.

Later this year we will see a high priced iPad for hardcore users like you
    I don't know that this is any different than the smartphone market. Apple can't compete with the $50 Kindle, but personally I can't even call that a tablet. They are the worst imitation devices ever made, and the fact that Amazon gets away with comparing them to iPad is ludicrous.

I was going to say that I think $329 is a bit greedy and that $299 would have been more appropriate, but you're right that during the holidays/black friday/etc. the going "discount" for this will be $299, without a doubt. Always gotta leave room for that all important "discount".
    edited March 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    Price is a huge issue.

165 million tablets were sold last year. There is still a huge chunk of tablet sales that Apple is missing because of price.

The drop to $329 and probably sub $299 during the holiday season should boost new iPad users.

I agree.  For me as a Mac user primarily,  an iPad is for watching Netflix and Amazon Prime TV in bed and web reading.  The base model will be perfect replacement for my iPad Air which I stupidly went for 16 gigabyte thinking for my needs it would suffice, it doesn't 16 gigabyte is very limiting even for my use.  32 gigabyte should be just fine assuming the OS hasn't grown too much.
    edited March 2017 ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    macxpress said:
    Price has always been an issue. When the iPad first came out, the $499 starting price was considered to be amazing low. But over the years that price has been seen as too high for most people. I know several people with cheaper Android tablets, despite all of the shortcomings. This will convince some to move to the iPad.
    DavidAlGregorypatchythepirateSpamSandwichalbegarccaliration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 44
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    How about a little perspective? This new iPad is almost $200 less than an iPad2 was and is light years ahead in features, technology and capability. I can see millions of iPad 2s finally being upgraded.
    williamlondonbrucemcGrocchiaSpamSandwichStrangeDayscaliicoco3ronnration al
  • Reply 8 of 44

sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    Price is a huge issue.

I don't know that this is any different than the smartphone market. Apple can't compete with the $50 Kindle, but personally I can't even call that a tablet. They are the worst imitation devices ever made, and the fact that Amazon gets away with comparing them to iPad is ludicrous.

I was going to say that I think $329 is a bit greedy and that $299 would have been more appropriate, but you're right that during the holidays/black friday/etc. the going "discount" for this will be $299, without a doubt. Always gotta leave room for that all important "discount".
    Seriously, since you have no idea of the costs involved, for you to say that Apple is greedy, is nonsense.

apple supports its mobile products with upgrades for a full 4 years, whereas Android makers support theirs for 18 months - if you buy a flagship model. Most never get upgraded at all. There's about 1.2 million true iPad apps in the store, vs a tiny number for Android. Apple's service is the highest rated.

i mean, why do you think Apple can do this? It's because they charge a little more. And I say a little, because when you consider all that above, plus the significantly better performance and build quality, the price differential is just that - little. Samsung's newest Tab S3 costs $499, but its performance is no better than this one. Is that greedy?
    edited March 2017 netmagepatchythepiratechiaSpamSandwichStrangeDayscaliicoco3ronnration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 44
    They will need to deal with the mini. Currently priced at $399. They also need to do away with the number scheme. If they can drive this price point sub $300 it will be well positioned for additional growth.
    cheers777cali
  • Reply 10 of 44
    sog35 said:
    This cheaper iPad and SE really show that Apple has moved the needle.

The Needle between Profits and Market share. Its pretty obvious that Apple is willing to sacrifice some profits to increase market share. Of course they won't get ridiculous and sell $99 tablets and phones like Android POS builders.

But why this move to increase market share?

Services. Services. Services. Services.

I think internally Apple has set a goal of increasing the amount of active iOS devices by 75% in the next 4 years.
    Cook has said that they want to double services by 2020. That would be to $50 billion a year, putting the highly profitable services unit in the Fortune 100, sizewise.
    caliration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 44
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Awesome. Now iPad upgrade is no brainer. 32GB at $329 ! Can't go wrong. I can upgrade my son's old ipad happily.
    edited March 2017 cheers777caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 44
    macxpress said:
    I don't think price was the issue.
    Oh yes it was. The iPads- especially the "Pros" are grossly overpriced.
    williamlondonbrucemcelijahgcali
  • Reply 13 of 44
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Finally can replace my iPad 3. Price is a big issue, for most people, otherwise they will not replace something that still works, albeit slower.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 44
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    Price is a huge issue.

• Reply 15 of 44
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    mike1 said:
    How about a little perspective? This new iPad is almost $200 less than an iPad2 was and is light years ahead in features, technology and capability. I can see millions of iPad 2s finally being upgraded.
    Fully agree.  At $329, this is a very good price point to get upgraders moving and continue to bring in new users.  

We can expect to see new "pro" models later this year (hopefully still in Spring, as I really don't think cramming everything into the holiday quarter can work, but who knows).  If they can make those really desirable, then it should help keep the ASP's up while also bringing innovative features and new uses to the line.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 44
    GrocGroc Posts: 3member
    mike1 said:
    Yes and yes. (my iPad 2 is heading for the pasture as I type this)
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    The Pencil situation is maddening. 

Technically, I get it, the Pencil requires a screen that runs twice as fast for motion accuracy. If the hardware necessary to make that work is expensive to manufacture, that makes sense.

As a user, it's absurd that only professionals doodle or buy moleskine notebooks.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Great specs for the price. Most people know that the real tablet to buy is an iPad, but they buy cheap android knockoffs because of price - this may capture some of those sales plus make it more attractive for education, certain business users, replacement for existing owners and holiday gift giving. This is obviously not targeting pros. Prior comments about giving up margin for market share - Don't think so, they found a way to make it cheaper, they would not dare give Wall Street a reason to beat them up.
    cheers777cali
  • Reply 19 of 44
    sog35 said:
    They will need to deal with the mini. Currently priced at $399. They also need to do away with the number scheme. If they can drive this price point sub $300 it will be well positioned for additional growth.
    The mini will die. Apple does not like it because it sells in too low volume (adding to costs) and it canibalizes the Plus iPhones. IMO, the Mini will be dead next year when the iPhone X1 Plus comes out.

I'm pretty sure multiple vendors will be selling the iPad at $299 or even $279 this holiday season.
    Yeah good point.  The only way they could sell it in any volume would be to price it sub $200 which is unlikely to happen...Also plus size iPhone is there as you mention as well.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    I've been waiting for this announcement since the fall. iOS 10 turned my iPad 4 into a stuttering, slow, unstable mess. Can't downgrade the OS, so I'm forced to buy a new one. I didn't see much point in buying the two year old iPad Air 2. I was sort of hoping for a bigger update but I can't really wait any longer, so I'll probably buy one of these. Hard to get very excited, though.