Apple Watch Nike Sport band now sold separately for $49, joins new spring lineup

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited March 2017
New seasonal bands for the Apple Watch are available in a range of colors, as well as the Nike Sport Band, which can now be purchased separately without the special Nike edition of the Apple Watch.

Nike's lightweight, perforated sport bands are priced at $49 and come in colors of black/volt, anthracite/black, and pure platinum/white. AppleInsider reviewed the Apple Watch Nike+ in December and found that the previously-exclusive sport band had a funky look but a practical purpose for athletes.

But rather than buy an entirely new $369 watch just to get the Nike Band, customers can now buy the band separately for a much more affordable price.

In addition, Apple also launched regular $49 sport bands in three new colors:
  • Camellia Sport Band
  • Pebble Sport Band
  • Azure Sport Band

Woven nylon bands also gain six new spring colors, priced at $49:
  • Orange Woven Nylon
  • Berry Woven Nylon
  • Red Woven Nylon
  • Pollen Woven Nylon
  • Tahoe Blue Woven Nylon
  • Midnight Blue Woven Nylon
In addition, the $149 classic leather design was also updated with these new options:
  • Saddle Brown Classic Buckle
  • Berry Classic Buckle
  • Taupe Classic Buckle
  • Sapphire Classic Buckle
  • Red Classic Buckle
  • Midnight Blue Classic Buckle
  • Black Classic Buckle
Finally, the Herm?s Leather collection also gained two new styles. Priced at $489 apiece, they are:
  • Apple Watch Herm?s Fauve Barenia Leather Double Tour
  • Apple Watch Herm?s Bleu Z?phyr Epsom Leather Double Tour

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    have the Series 2 Nike version with neon band...just ordered the black Nike band...it's all black with just holes...all the knockoffs on amazon to this point are black with grey holes and the color rubs off within weeks
    cali
  • Reply 2 of 13
    sog35 said:
    But if you buy the Nike Band do you get the software upgrades also??????
    I have no reason to believe that the Nike band gets you software that you can't get for free. From what I can tell the exclusive Nike watch faces are only available if you get that version of the watch. Oh well.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    When ordering online Apple should allow you to pick a size and then pick any band you want. There's nothing on the Watch packaging that indicates what band is in the box. Then just have the most popular combinations available for purchase in store. 
    cali
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Apple Watch Series 2 is now only available with Sport Band and Milanese Loop when purchased new. And in addition Hermes.

"Hermès collection aside, all Apple Watches purchased now will come with Sport Band or Milanese Loop. Whether this is based on what sells the most (or creating more add-on purchases) or only bundling swim-ready bands for the swim-proof Series 2 for the spring season, it certainly simplifies the Apple Watch lineup."  -9to5mac

I think Apple is trying to simplify their watch lineup...for someone who is not like us, they may be intimidated by choices/options at point of purchase which could be a deterrent to purchase. There have been studies confirming this is a real thing. 
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 5 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    NY1822 said:
    Apple Watch Series 2 is now only available with Sport Band and Milanese Loop when purchased new. And in addition Hermes.

"Hermès collection aside, all Apple Watches purchased now will come with Sport Band or Milanese Loop. Whether this is based on what sells the most (or creating more add-on purchases) or only bundling swim-ready bands for the swim-proof Series 2 for the spring season, it certainly simplifies the Apple Watch lineup."  -9to5mac

I think Apple is trying to simplify their watch lineup...for someone who is not like us, they may be intimidated by choices/options at point of purchase which could be a deterrent to purchase. There have been studies confirming this is a real thing. 
    More choices mean more potential sales. Personally, I've been surprised how many times I've seen people wearing the Watch in the real world these days. More popular than I would've thought.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I bought my wife the Nike version so we could make sure she has the Nike software and additional watch faces. She hated the band. She went for a nylon band replacement and has never looked back.
    schlackcali
  • Reply 7 of 13
    NY1822 said:

More choices mean more potential sales. Personally, I've been surprised how many times I've seen people wearing the Watch in the real world these days. More popular than I would've thought.
    I agree, the options are still available...they are pushing fitness and waterproof
  • Reply 8 of 13
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    NY1822 said:

I believe more choices equates to less sales as it confuses the average consumer.

When ordering online Apple should allow you to pick a size and then pick any band you want. There's nothing on the Watch packaging that indicates what band is in the box. Then just have the most popular combinations available for purchase in store. 

Great idea but potentially less money for Apple.

• Reply 9 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    There's nothing on the Watch packaging that indicates what band is in the box.
    Wrong. It's clearly stated on the end of the box what band is included. Apple has reduced the default band options to two to minimize stocking SKUs and inventory, and maximize profit. And my guess is that Apple has sold far more Watches with Sport and Milanese bands than the Link or Leather bands. Also, by limiting the Watch/band options, shipping time is reduced. 

sog35 said:
    But if you buy the Nike Band do you get the software upgrades also??????
    I have no reason to believe that the Nike band gets you software that you can't get for free. From what I can tell the exclusive Nike watch faces are only available if you get that version of the watch. Oh well.
    My guess is sog was kidding.

NY1822 said:
    have the Series 2 Nike version with neon band...just ordered the black Nike band...it's all black with just holes...all the knockoffs on amazon to this point are black with grey holes and the color rubs off within weeks
    Not true. It just depends on the manufacturer. I've got a Nike+ knockoff that's very good. It's thinner than the Apple proper, but has worn extremely well. That said, I have a few Apple Sport bands and to me the feel of their fluoroelastomer is superior to the silicone knockoffs. 

cali said:
    I believe more choices equates to less sales as it confuses the average consumer.
    That makes no sense. "Oh I'm so confused! So many choices I don't know what to do! I'll buy a Timex instead!" Yeah, not gonna happen. Buy a Watch with a Sport band or Milanese loop. Pick a color. Want a different band? Easy pick one, pay, done. Easy, peasy.

I do agree that making every purchase a CTO would mean less money for Apple, besides the increased delay in shipping time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    I think I'll just stick to my $7.99 knock off "sport" band with holes from Amazon. 
  • Reply 11 of 13

I really do not like the nylon straps. For some reason they look very tacky.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13

I really do not like the nylon straps. For some reason they look very tacky.

I don't think dudes are their target audience.