New Apple 9.7-inch iPad thicker than iPad Air 2, returns to iPad Air dimensions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    <Mic drop>
  • Reply 22 of 61
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    schlack said:
    Good. This solves one of the worst issues with the current gen iPad. The protruding camera. Honestly, one of the major reasons I hadn't upgraded since the iPad Air.

I have the thinner  iPad Air 2 and it doesn't have a protruding camera.
    dunks
  • Reply 23 of 61
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    The omission on RAM is interesting?
    Would it be the same 2mb as the Air2 or did they cut here to get cost down?

Seems this ipad is just a re-branded cost cutting product - with negligible or possibly worse performance than the Air2 that is thicker and weighs more.
    Leads me to believe this is more of an up-sell attempt to the pro than anything - using the long upgrade cycle as leveage.

Will be interesting to see the performance comparisons. 
  • Reply 24 of 61
    MikeGxMikeGx Posts: 1member
    Reason for thickness - look for the screen spec: http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/
    It's screen isn't laminated to the glass and doesn't have the anti-reflective treatment found on the screen of every other iPad. The iPad Air 2, by comparison, had a fully-laminated screen, which removes a visible gap between the display and the glass cover
    edited March 2017 virtualmarkavon b7sphericdunks
  • Reply 25 of 61
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    bitmod said:

Seems this ipad is just a re-branded cost cutting product - with negligible or possibly worse performance than the Air2 that is thicker and weighs more.
    Leads me to believe this is more of an up-sell attempt to the pro than anything - using the long upgrade cycle as leveage.

Apple has never indicated the amount of RAM for any iDevice which means it would only be interesting if they decided to tell us this time.
    StrangeDaysration al
  • Reply 26 of 61
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sog35 said:
    I would love a Red iPad...........

I'm glad they went with the slightly thicker case in order to drop the price.
    A RED iPad would be a good move. Dude, you're coming up with some good ideas today. 🍩 ☕️
  • Reply 27 of 61
    MikeGx said:
    Reason for thickness - look for the screen spec: http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/
    It's screen isn't laminated to the glass and doesn't have the anti-reflective treatment found on the screen of every other iPad. The iPad Air 2, by comparison, had a fully-laminated screen, which removes a visible gap between the display and the glass cover

Yes, and for me that's a good thing.  I'm going to be buying two of these to replace an iPad 2 and an iPad Air that my kids use.  We've had to replace 3 screens over the years because kids are kids and they break things.  Replacing the laminated screens is a lot more expensive and it's not a one-day turnaround for us.  My kids really don't care about the very small increase in thickness, but I care a lot about the lower cost to repair.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    smarkysmarky Posts: 75member
    sog35 said:
    bitmod said:

dude the Air2 has the A8, the new iPad has an A9
    I might be wrong but I thought the Air2 has the A8x which was a new chip made for the iPad, were this seems to suggest it has a standard A9 chip in it which is the less powerful made for phone chip, just newer generation, perhaps it cuts production costs down as these are also used in the iPhone 6s.

i don't understand this upgrade, they have made it thicker and it's still pricey, not really "budget" as labelled else were they have simply lowered the price back to what it was last year anyway.

Poor choice. I am in a market for a new tablet/iPad but no way I am buying this. Waiting to see what a pro refresh might bring! 
  • Reply 29 of 61
    smarky said:
    sog35 said:
    bitmod said:

I might be wrong but I thought the Air2 has the A8x which was a new chip made for the iPad, were this seems to suggest it has a standard A9 chip in it which is the less powerful made for phone chip, just newer generation, perhaps it cuts production costs down as these are also used in the iPhone 6s.

i don't understand this upgrade, they have made it thicker and it's still pricey, not really "budget" as labelled else were they have simply lowered the price back to what it was last year anyway.

Poor choice. I am in a market for a new tablet/iPad but no way I am buying this. Waiting to see what a pro refresh might bring! 
    1) How is it pricey when it's $70 less than yesterday for a 32 GB 10" iPad?

2) Where did you get this "made for iPad" and "made for iPhone" chip designation for the 'X'? You should look at the chip specs and how it performs to come to a conclusion. The latter is relevant because there's a much larger battery which could mean that it's clocked higher than the A9 used in the iPhone which could help increase its already massive victory with single-core performance over the A8X.
    edited March 2017 uraharapatchythepiratepscooter63ration al
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Something quite important is not mentioned in the article and that is the fact that the new iPad goes back to the iPad Air type of Display (NOT Fully laminated display and NO Antireflective coating). 

The bump in thickness is OK, if they add a bit more battery and from other sources it seems that this will be the case (According to GSMArena: Li-Ion 8610 mAh battery (32.4 Wh) for the new one against the Li-Po 7340 mAh battery (27.62 Wh) for the Air 2), BUT going backwards on the Display technology is a HUGE disappointment. It is absolutely ridiculous that the "entry" level iPad mini 4 has the mentioned laminated display with Antireflective coating and its bigger brother does not!?! 

The only reason for this move imo is to make the iPad Pro 9.7 more attractive in comparison with the new "iPad" and this is quite disappointing. Being able to use the apple pencil, smart keyboard, having a superior Camera, superior P3 Display, superior sound speakers and even more Antireflective TRUE TONE Display are reasons ENOUGH for a superior model costing you $270 more!!

Making a kind of a new Hybrid between the Air 2 and Air models, but with a new processor, is not really what we were hoping for I guess. And why did they leave the "4" in the iPad mini name?! Simply call it iPad mini, iPad and iPad Pro... 

Sorry for all the caps, but I am definitely angered at the news 

I still believe that there will be a Late March/Early April event introducing some news on the iPad Pro front and may be even some new Macs. At least I really hope so, because this was an excuse of an update!
  • Reply 31 of 61
    First it was criticized as too thin.
    Now it's criticized as too thick.

I like to think of it as a Full-Figured iPad...

Gotta jump down, spin around,
    And pick a dress of cotton,
    Gotta jump down, spin around,
    And pick a dress of wool.

Grab those bargains off those racks
    Who needs Bergdorf, who needs Saks

Here's what I've been searching for
    A genuine copy of a fake Dior

Here's a size 8 I could fix
    Gotta let it out to 46
    - Alan sherman
    pscooter63ration al
  • Reply 32 of 61
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    Soli said:
    bitmod said:

Apple has never indicated the amount of RAM for any iDevice which means it would only be interesting if they decided to tell us this time.
    2mb - they did mention it before. They removed it. 
    The question is, will a standard iphone chip beat out an optimized ipad chip? From geekbench testing - its not a given this will be a performance boost. 
    I think it's more of a rebrand than an update - to differentiate from the ipad pro2. 
  • Reply 33 of 61
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Thickness and battery? It's only for people to be not that disappointed.

Added thickness is for rebranding

The added thickness leads to dropped 'Air' in its name.
    Now it's just an iPad. 
    RIP iPad Air 2 (with better screen). 
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    vkateliev said:
    Something quite important is not mentioned in the article and that is the fact that the new iPad goes back to the iPad Air type of Display (NOT Fully laminated display and NO Antireflective coating). 

The bump in thickness is OK, if they add a bit more battery and from other sources it seems that this will be the case (According to GSMArena: Li-Ion 8610 mAh battery (32.4 Wh) for the new one against the Li-Po 7340 mAh battery (27.62 Wh) for the Air 2), BUT going backwards on the Display technology is a HUGE disappointment. It is absolutely ridiculous that the "entry" level iPad mini 4 has the mentioned laminated display with Antireflective coating and its bigger brother does not!?! 
    According to Apple, the battery is 32.4 watt-hours. While this article doesn't delve into the reasons why, and is more of a "hey, it's thicker" piece, the iPad Air-style isn't a bad thing from an "in the field" perspective.

This iPad is really focused on the 30% of the pre-iPad Air population.

We'll see how it goes with time. I've got utterly no issue with a $329 9.7-inch iPad. It's perhaps a move that may irritate the Apple faithful, but we aren't a large portion of Apple's business anymore.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 35 of 61
    bitmod said:
    Soli said:
    bitmod said:

The question is, will a standard iphone chip beat out an optimized ipad chip? From geekbench testing - its not a given this will be a performance boost. 
    I think it's more of a rebrand than an update - to differentiate from the ipad pro2. 
    If you so easily confuse 2 gigabytes with 2 megabits in writing, do you think that you may also be confused about what you believe you remember reading on their Spec Sheets?

PS: The A9X in the 10" iPad Pro only has 2 GiB RAM, not 4 GiB like in the A9X found in the 13" iPad Pro.
    edited March 2017 pscooter63
  • Reply 36 of 61

This, and the iPad Mini announcement should clear the path for some very interesting iPad Pro announcements -- both hardware and OS!

KKKK...

Kontent, Konnected, Kollaboration, Kreation is King!

• Reply 37 of 61
    It went back to the iPad Air chasis because it is housing the older non-laminated display of the iPad Air 1 as well. 
  • Reply 38 of 61
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    vkateliev said:

According to Apple, the battery is 32.4 watt-hours. While this article doesn't delve into the reasons why, and is more of a "hey, it's thicker" piece, the iPad Air-style isn't a bad thing from an "in the field" perspective.

This iPad is really focused on the 30% of the pre-iPad Air population.

We'll see how it goes with time. I've got utterly no issue with a $329 9.7-inch iPad. It's perhaps a move that may irritate the Apple faithful, but we aren't a large portion of Apple's business anymore.

The 2017 iPad has an LCD that is not laminated to the front glass. Combined with the starting price of $330, I imagine a lot of kids will be breaking the glass screens, they already do, and repairs will be so much easier when the glass isn't glued to the LCD. There are a lot of young kids using iPads, and making it easier to replace the front glass is a consumer win.
    vkateliev
  • Reply 39 of 61
    thttht Posts: 5,443member

smarky said:
    sog35 said:
    bitmod said:

The A9 SoC will be a lot faster in CPU (20% to 40%) and a little bit faster in GPU (10% or so) than the A8X. It's a good SoC improvement accompanied by a reduction in price. You lose on thickness and display quality (increased display parallax), but I think potential buyers will think it is a really good trade. It will have 2 GB of RAM as it is advertised to support SplitView.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    baysidebayside Posts: 19member
    Soli said:
    bitmod said:
    If you so easily confuse 2 gigabytes with 2 megabits in writing, do you think that you may also be confused about what you believe you remember reading on their Spec Sheets?

PS: The A9X in the 10" iPad Pro only has 2 GiB RAM, not 4 GiB like in the A9X found in the 13" iPad Pro.
    Oh, I thought bitmod meant 2 millibits...