With iPhone SE upgrade, Apple heralds the end of low-capacity 16GB iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone
After years of complaints, inspired by users unable to install iOS updates because of insufficient free space, Apple has finally eliminated the inadequate 16-gigabyte storage tier from its iPhone lineup.

Rather than keeping the entry-level 16-gigabyte iPhone SE in its lineup at a cheaper price, Apple opted to eliminate it entirely on Tuesday, doubling the smallest available size to 32 gigabytes. Despite the increase, the iPhone SE retains the same starting price of $399.

The change brings the iPhone SE in line with both the iPhone 6s and the flagship iPhone 7, all of which come in sizes no smaller than 32 gigabytes. In fact, the jet black and new (Product)Red iPhone 7 models come with a minimum of 128 gigabytes.

Non-upgradeable storage on the iPhone has long been a source of controversy for some users, who have lodged complaints that Apple was being "cheap" by offering low-capacity models.

Back in 2014, Apple was hit with a lawsuit accusing it of misrepresenting iPhone storage in its iOS 8 operating system. The complaint argued Apple used an "unexpectedly large percentage" of storage on 8- and 16-gigabyte devices, though the suit was eventually tossed out.

The push to a 32-gigabyte standard began recently but was completed quickly. Starting last September, the launch of the iPhone 7 marked the first time that a flagship handset came with no less than 32 gigabytes of storage.

Just a few years ago, the company was still selling 8-gigabyte iPhone models in select international markets. But once the company discontinued its low-end iPhone 5c, the 8-gigabyte tier went with it.

Capacities of 16-gigabytes were already eliminated in Apple's iPad lineup. Even before the iPad mini 2 was removed on Tuesday, it came with an entry-level storage size of 32 gigabytes.

The lone remaining iOS device in Apple's lineup with less than 32-gigabytes of built-in storage is the iPod touch. The portable media player, which was last updated in 2015, still comes in a 16-gigabyte budget model priced at $199.

Of course, it's still along way away from the first iPhone, released nearly 10 years ago, which was offered in a 4-gigabyte capacity. The 4-gigabyte first-generation iPhone was unceremoniously discontinued in September of 2007, just a few months after the iPhone debuted, leaving one storage option of 8 gigabytes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    Arguably, 16 GB is more usable now than it was a few years ago because of enhanced iCloud features, the ability to optimize local storage automatically, and auto-delete old Messages.

But whatever.
    baconstangschlackcoolfactorGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 37
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    But I thought people here said 16GB was just fine and anyone who had space issues just didn't know how to manage their storage properly.
    avon b7mr squidGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 37
    64GB should be minimum now a days. 
    AI_lias
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Arguably, 16 GB is more usable now than it was a few years ago because of enhanced iCloud features, the ability to optimize local storage automatically, and auto-delete old Messages.

But whatever.
    I'm sure mom, granny, dad, etc are well versed and have all the time in the world to manage storage on their iPhones. Keep in mind a lot of iPhone users aren't tech savvy and inclined. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Still have my 4GB iPhone OG
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

But whatever.
    We've already had major improvements in OS and app sizes, from bitcode to app thinning, and we'll be losing the 32-bit app support come iOS 11. Still, I would expect that in the coming years with new iOS versions we'll still see a major increase in OS sizes because that's the norm when you see storage capacity increases.
    ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 37
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I doubt this is the end of 16GB worldwide. I would be surprised to see Apple discontinue it in emerging markets like India where they are building a new plant to manufacture it specifically. The iPod Touch is still offered in a 16GB capacity, which seems ridiculous to me since anyone who wants an iPod is likely interested in a much larger capacity. I suppose it serves as a device for businesses who might run a few dedicated apps on them, but beyond that, I don't see it, especially since the 32GB iPod Touch is only $50 more. 

It's unfortunate that Apple didn't use this opportunity to sell a 16GB $249-299 SE as an iPod Touch replacement. It's a much better value than what Apple currently offers.
    baconstang[Deleted User]
  • Reply 8 of 37
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    But I thought people here said 16GB was just fine and anyone who had space issues just didn't know how to manage their storage properly.
    What people said was that some iPhone users don't install apps or use the phone for anything much beyond messaging. 

baconstangpscooter632old4funwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 37
    AbrahamVAbrahamV Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    And the price is increased by 50$ (32GB is $399 and 128gb is $499 ). It used to be 16gb for $349 and 64gb for $449.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    :facepalm:
    baconstangStrangeDaysration alpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 37
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    16GB was obscene and should have gone long ago. Dropping it in 2017 is well overdue but about time. 32GB gives users far more flexibility although they are still being stupid by playing games with the middle capacities.

Micro SD is still missing of course because of the silly games with those pricing capacities.

• Reply 12 of 37
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Rayz2016 said:
    What people said was that some iPhone users don't install apps or use the phone for anything much beyond messaging. 

They also argued that people needed to manage their storage better. Unfortunately people don't often figure this out until after they have bought into the ecosystem. Moreover, human nature does not lend itself to effective management of digital files. I have a 16GB iPad, and while I would love to have more storage, I don't really need it. What I learned is that I need to delete photos that are automatically uploaded to the cloud, and to delete message threads that are also duplicated on other devices. Those are the chief sources of storage consumption on my iPad, and on my phone for that matter. I made due with a 16GB phone until the 5s, but because I do shoot video on it, I found that even with concerted data management, I would routinely run out of space before I had a chance to manage it, leading to missed moments and opportunities. Live photos, more MP, and 4K only added to the problem. But I would still advocate for a 16GB SE, if only to lower the bar for the entry level market. Moreover, there are add on storage apps and products that make data management on the go extremely easy, and the available bandwidth via LTE, and more widely available wifi makes cloud storage management even easier. 
    baconstangration al
  • Reply 13 of 37
    I'm still rocking my 16GB 5S. Shoot pics, video, email, apps, games. iTunes Match/iCloud make it OK. However, sometimes it kind of sucks; more storage=good.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 37
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Yes and we've been saying that for years now -- that's how long you've been complaining about entry level models. So long that they've now become obsolete. As was inevitable and as we told you they would one day. But even today my parents are happy with the entry level iphones they have since they don't do many apps or games or even own much music.  Entry level capacities are perfectfly useful for entry level customers. 
    edited March 2017 baconstangpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 37

Just stop. Stop. 
    Solibaconstangration alpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 37
    avon b7 said:
    16GB was obscene and should have gone long ago. Dropping it in 2017 is well overdue but about time. 32GB gives users far more flexibility although they are still being stupid by playing games with the middle capacities.

Micro SD is still missing of course because of the silly games with those pricing capacities.
    Nope, removable storage hasn't existed in any iOS devices since Day 1, and theyre better device ps because of that design decision. It's not some thick iKnockoff. There is no room for removable storage on my 7, and it's the finest smartphone i've ever owned. 
    edited March 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 37
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:

Micro SD.............LOL.  Do you still use VHS also?
    LOL. Whenever I visit tech stores I never see VHS tapes. I do see rack upon rack of memory cards though. And cheap and plenty fast. No iCloud workarounds, no internet connection, just good local storage - and removable!
  • Reply 18 of 37
    avon b7 said:

Nope, removable storage hasn't existed in any iOS devices since Day 1, and theyre better device ps because of that design decision. It's not some thick iKnockoff. There is no room for removable storage on my 7, and it's the finest smartphone i've ever owned. 
    Yep. Much to the pain of those entry level users who saw Apple take away their precious space to make way for iOS upgrades when connected via WiFi, many of whom only had entry level storage in the first place because Apple took away the second level tier looking for upsell, many of whom constantly ran into iTunes telling them they couldn't sync a file (because copying can sometimes be a nightmare) because a huge mysterious block of space named 'other' had used up all remaining space and that 'other' couldn't be eliminated without a restore.

So much fun!
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 19 of 37
    MoiSotoMoiSoto Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Exactly! I hate how Apple is using 32GB on the lowest price so people feel that getting the second tier model is a good deal for 4X storage space.

Hopefully the iPhone 8/Pro is actually coming with 64GB minimum, preferably 128GB if they will indeed charge $999 for that thing. 
  • Reply 20 of 37
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

This has more to do with the fact that basically buying a 16GB chip is probably about the same price as 32GB, of fits better the way memory access is done on newer chips.
    Also Apple needs faster memory than the competition (they're storage access subsystem is fantastic), which means they need a bigger volume of a rarer chip(they're probably buying most of the stcok) (something never mentioned).l