New Apple 9.7-inch iPad aimed squarely at iPad 2 owners looking to affordably upgrade

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    indiekiduk said:
    Extra thickness is because the display is no longer laminated compared to Air 2. I agree they should have kept the anti-reflection and laminated display in this model.
    I think the use of this display is because it's cheaper than the Air 2 display. They could have kept it but then the cost of the iPad would be greater. 
    mike1
  • Reply 42 of 64
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member

No reason to wait anymore

The only reason at this point to hang on to an older iPad is because you already own the older one. 

The iPad 2 and 3 just aren't safe anymore, and the iPad 4 isn't far behind.
    Or, you know, they just don't have the 4-800 to spend on upgrading iPads when the 2&4 are still going pretty strong. Maybe 4-800 could be better spent on, oh I don't know, a lawnmower, repairing car transmission, painting the house, getting new blinds & curtains to replace the shitty broken Venetian blinds that make it look like a crack house, perhaps a book shelf or three so we can stop keeping all our books in cardboard boxes... shall I continue?
    brucemcelijahg
  • Reply 43 of 64
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    tyler82 said:
    No 3D touch on new iPads? Can we please just call Apple an iPhone company now, they are clearly not focused on anything else.
    If 3D Touch comes to the IPAD it will be the Pro.   Not the budget model.   Who knows if they can do both 3D Touch and pencil on one screen.   There's different technology in the iPhone and iPad Pro displays.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 44 of 64
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    So the iPad 2 which my friend purchased two weeks ago along with AppleCare is now a dinosaur? 
    No, it's not. 
  • Reply 45 of 64
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    This similar to Apple standardising on iPh6 with 32GB in secondary markets: the A9 appears to be the minimum supported hardware going forward. As sales in primary markets have stabilised, it is logical the company will simply release profitable tech for those markets. The iPad mini 4 appears to be the lowest level there - TouchID and similar specs - so I'm desperately hoping there will be a mini Pro with quad speakers this year! At least we all now know how Apple will begin expanding into the mid-level market, at long last. I'm very happy the mini 3 was not the end-point :o
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Not exactly an upgrader, but yet to jump onto the ipad wagon since ipad was born. Love apple and been eyeing. But haven't found a compelling reason to own one, given its limited ability in its own class. Still choose iphone and laptop.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    starwars said:
    Not exactly an upgrader, but yet to jump onto the ipad wagon since ipad was born. Love apple and been eyeing. But haven't found a compelling reason to own one, given its limited ability in its own class. Still choose iphone and laptop.
    I would never use an iPad as a main computer(iOS hampers what can be done) but as a secondary machine it is very handy to have available, especially if you are on the go.

Given the option of drafting documentation on an iPhone or a tablet, the tablet would be your choice. For consultation (web, pdf etc) the difference is smaller but most people would still opt for the tablet. For entertainment consumption (reading, videos etc) the tablet experience wins out again.

Both iPads and iPhones suffer the same weaknesses: iOS. You will always be better off with a traditional computer. iOS and the ecosystem it sits in is very unflexible. You have to adapt to it and use workarounds for tasks that were resolved years ago on traditional computers but as you have an iPhone already, you're well aware of these issues.

My biggest (minor) gripe is the lack of an IR blaster. With the right software, a retired iPad could become a great universal remote at little or non extra cost.
    starwars
  • Reply 48 of 64
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    bluefire1 said:
    So the iPad 2 which my friend purchased two weeks ago along with AppleCare is now a dinosaur? 
    No, it's not. 
    Most certainly did not buy a new iPad 2 two weeks ago. Might have purchased an iPad Air 2. Most of the comments here have to do with upgrading an iPad 2 which was introduced more than SIX years ago.
    retrogusto
  • Reply 49 of 64
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    This is an interesting thread. The comments about older users, occasional users, meh-users are pretty enlightening. 

My contribution: I got a 9.7" pro for my wife to replace her iPad2 a couple months ago. I waffled on the Pro or iPadAir 2, but settled on the former based on the available deal. She uses it daily. The iPad2 will be repurposed to a tech luddite in the family that believes his 2006 iMac running OSX 10.6 "works just fine." And it does. "They make this stuff to crap out so they can sell you another one that does the same damn thing." And he's right.

My original iPad mini also works fine for what I use it for. If/when I see a iPad mini 4 under about $200 I might upgrade. Might. 
  • Reply 50 of 64
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    tyler82 said:
    No 3D touch on new iPads? Can we please just call Apple an iPhone company now, they are clearly not focused on anything else.
    It's thought that 3D Touch, which, by the way, isn't getting the developer support Apple had hoped for, likey because it's not getting the customer usage it had hoped for, isn't suitable for the large screens a tablet has. If that's the case, we may never see it ina tablet. The other possibility is that it's too expensive for large screens.
  • Reply 51 of 64
    bluefire1 said:
    No, it's not. 
    Well, it's obsolete. That doesn't mean it's not usable. But buying one two weeks ago seems to be an error, unless he got it for the $100 it might be worth, now that it can no longer have OS upgrades, and most software will begin to require 10.3 and newer OSs. And without a retina screen, much software doesn't work as well as it should.
  • Reply 52 of 64

starwars said:
    You'd be surprised at how useful it is. All my daily web use, such as this now, is done on my iPad. I even do CAD, using AutoCAD 360. I find it incredibly useful. I do understand that a lot of people are very resistant to new things, even if they are a computer and smartphone user. They've convinced themselves that a tablet isn't very useful, or easy to type on. They're wrong.

i often find that people who convince themselves of things Eli g difficult, or not that useful, are incapable of using them, because they've convinced themselves of it. You really need to have an open mind about this, and work around the differences until you're used to them. It could take a day, or a month, depending on the person.

theres not a single thing that most people do with computers that can't be done with a good tablet. Sometimes, it's bit more difficult, and sometimes a lot easier. It's certainly much more convenient. When I read similar things to what you wrote here, I can see that you haven't put any real thought into it. 
  • Reply 53 of 64
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    bluefire1 said:
    No, it's not. 
    I guarantee your friend didn't buy an iPad 2 two weeks ago with AppleCare. My have bought an iPad AIR 2 -- which is not what this article is about.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

cornchip said:

The only reason at this point to hang on to an older iPad is because you already own the older one. 

Or, you know, they just don't have the 4-800 to spend on upgrading iPads when the 2&4 are still going pretty strong. Maybe 4-800 could be better spent on, oh I don't know, a lawnmower, repairing car transmission, painting the house, getting new blinds & curtains to replace the shitty broken Venetian blinds that make it look like a crack house, perhaps a book shelf or three so we can stop keeping all our books in cardboard boxes... shall I continue?
    It can be argued that if the house is in that bad shape, then the iPad 2-4 should have been sold long ago to facilitate the above.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member

cornchip said:

It can be argued that if the house is in that bad shape, then the iPad 2-4 should have been sold long ago to facilitate the above.
    It could be argued. But the point was that when to spend money and on what is a personal value judgment. "No reason to wait anymore" is pejorative and misplaced. 

That said, Apple has not generally marketed its products to those who don't value paying top dollar for what is purported to be a "premium" product. 
    cornchipelijahg
  • Reply 56 of 64
    RudySnowRudySnow Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    After beta-testing 10.3 and identifying apps that will no,longer work on iOS11+, I offloaded those apps to my iPad 2. Therefore, I absolutely refuse to upgrade my iPad 2 unless future iOS updates support 32-bit apps that *I* consider essential. If Apple wants me to upgrade, support legacy apps that either are "phantomware" or "abandoned" as 32-bit apps or my iPad 2 will remain in my home. Period.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    RudySnow said:
    After beta-testing 10.3 and identifying apps that will no,longer work on iOS11+, I offloaded those apps to my iPad 2. Therefore, I absolutely refuse to upgrade my iPad 2 unless future iOS updates support 32-bit apps that *I* consider essential. If Apple wants me to upgrade, support legacy apps that either are "phantomware" or "abandoned" as 32-bit apps or my iPad 2 will remain in my home. Period.
    Nope. 32 bits is gone, happily. If the developer isn't going to support the latest hardware and OS, then you should contact them and try to convince them to. If the app is dead, then it will be removed from the App Store. There likely are newer apps that can substitute for those obsolete ones you have. If you're just being stubborn about it, well, that's your choice.
    elijahg
  • Reply 58 of 64
    melgross said:
    RudySnow said:
    Nope. 32 bits is gone, happily. If the developer isn't going to support the latest hardware and OS, then you should contact them and try to convince them to. If the app is dead, then it will be removed from the App Store. There likely are newer apps that can substitute for those obsolete ones you have. If you're just being stubborn about it, well, that's your choice.

I have contacted all of the developers. I'm only talking about 10 or so apps. I'm not being "stubborn" because I refuse to upgrade my iPad 2 simply because they themselves are being too stubborn to upgrade their apps. Where I needed substitutes, I found them. And what do you care? If they still work on iPad 2, so be it. I don't need to upgrade for the sake of upgrading so your logic is incomprehensible to me. Besides, I have an iPad Pro 12.9, so that can pretty much run anything else I need to be productive. Again, personal decision.

edited March 2017
  • Reply 59 of 64
    RudySnow said:
    melgross said:
    RudySnow said:

I have contacted all of the developers. I'm only talking about 10 or so apps. I'm not being "stubborn" because I refuse to upgrade my iPad 2 simply because they themselves are being too stubborn to upgrade their apps. Where I needed substitutes, I found them. And what do you care? If they still work on iPad 2, so be it. I don't need to upgrade for the sake of upgrading so your logic is incomprehensible to me. Besides, I have an iPad Pro 12.9, so that can pretty much run anything else I need to be productive. Again, personal decision.

I care because you felt the need to say it here, in a public forum, where we all care.

i don't care that you offloaded these apps to an old device though. I do care that while Apple is improving their devices and OS, you want then to lock in support for a thankfully dwindling number of unsupported apps. Why would they do that?

Intel and Microsoft have many problems because of their insistance in backwards compatibility. Apple has never given in to that past a certain point. When the Mac went to 32 bits, Apple gave developers a certain amount of time to move their apps to 32 bits. After that, 16 bit apps no longer worked. They've been moving developers to 64 bits on the Mac as well, though that will take more time.

on iOS, which is a far newer, and more locked down OS, Apple can clean house more easily, with their control of the App Store. Those old apps are more likely to become infected, slow down the system, and overall, not play well. So Apple is going all 64 bit. That will make future hardware and OS upgrades easier to implement, and dropping code and APIs for 32 bit will make the system more reliable, and work better with APFS, their new file system.

so my complaint is not with your saving old apps on an old device, but your call to have Apple continue support for old, insupported 32 bit apps, and the resultant overcomplication to software and hardware that Apple is attempting to streamline, make more secure and more efficient.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 60 of 64
    I didn't call for Apple to continue supporting 32-bit apps. I said quite clearly that I am keeping an older iPad so I can continue to use 32-bit apps that I want. Now go take your meds.