Marriott likely to decide on Apple Siri or Amazon Alexa for hotels later this year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    Wouldn't want either one of them. Bit of a privacy concern there.
    But your OK with all the other devices in the room with microphones? There has to be a name for that kind of irrational thinking.
    Disagree. This is a device *someone else owns and controls.* 

I too would not accept this in a hotel room. This is a bad idea. Remember when the hotels got sued (and lost) for blocking wifi? Wait until guests report a security breach after staying there. Rightfully or wrongfully, these devices will be blamed and Marriott will have a yooge problem on their hands. For what advantage? I don't see anything justifying this risk.
    Again, but you're OK with all the other devices in the room with microphones "that someone else owns and controls"?
    Again, I don't go to places like that.
    If you go to a hotel then you damn well do.

Are you suggesting all hotel rooms are bugged? All of them?
  • Reply 22 of 44
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    But your OK with all the other devices in the room with microphones? There has to be a name for that kind of irrational thinking.

I too would not accept this in a hotel room. This is a bad idea. Remember when the hotels got sued (and lost) for blocking wifi? Wait until guests report a security breach after staying there. Rightfully or wrongfully, these devices will be blamed and Marriott will have a yooge problem on their hands. For what advantage? I don't see anything justifying this risk.
    Again, but you're OK with all the other devices in the room with microphones "that someone else owns and controls"?

I'm suggesting that every room could be bugged and that you're ignoring the most obvious and likely ways of bugging whilst focusing on something ridiculous, like a device designed to listen for a keyword but not record until such time as the keyword is heard.

I aslo see poeple who cover up their desktop and laptop webcams with tape, and yet do nothing about the built-in microphones, and these same people don't do anything with their smartphones and tablets.

This all comes down to be fed propaganda and using critical skills to understand how all the technology you have around all the time can be used in ways you're not expecting. And I'm not talking about your microwave self-creating a digital camera to spy on you, I'm talking about very run of the mill things that you still refuse to consider in your lobbying against hotel with an Alexa because you don't want a microphone you don't own in the room.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Well some may disconnect Alexa or throw the device to luggage or room safe in the first place. I appreciate convenience, but I do not appreciate who or what could be behind while privacy is required. At minumum it could be wrapped muffled with towels.... or "broken". Seriously, we have phones in room and itis also in restroom frequently. If it is optional then fine, but I am not having "intelligent" conversations with electronic devices - humans are for that and I am not looking for humans around during my private time.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Apple really needs to get on Siri. Amazon couldn't have dreamed these possibilities and Apple seems to be standing idly.

I'd also rather have iPads in my room. 
  • Reply 25 of 44
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Since when were people afraid of Apple spying on them?
  • Reply 26 of 44
    cali said:
    Since when were people afraid of Apple spying on them?
    Being spied on through Apple's devices or being spied on by Apple?
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:

I'm suggesting that every room could be bugged and that you're ignoring the most obvious and likely ways of bugging whilst focusing on something ridiculous, like a device designed to listen for a keyword but not record until such time as the keyword is heard.

I aslo see poeple who cover up their desktop and laptop webcams with tape, and yet do nothing about the built-in microphones, and these same people don't do anything with their smartphones and tablets.

This all comes down to be fed propaganda and using critical skills to understand how all the technology you have around all the time can be used in ways you're not expecting. And I'm not talking about your microwave self-creating a digital camera to spy on you, I'm talking about very run of the mill things that you still refuse to consider in your lobbying against hotel with an Alexa because you don't want a microphone you don't own in the room.
    Yeah, yeesh. What do people have to hide anyway? Privacy is over rated and there's nothing you can do about it anyway.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:

Yeah, yeesh. What do people have to hide anyway? Privacy is over rated and there's nothing you can do about it anyway.
    There's a lot you can do but you need to understand how and why technologies are used instead of jumping on the bandwagon of the ignorant so you can tilt at windmills. Forests for the trees, man.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    saltyzipsaltyzip Posts: 193member
    Why hotels are investing in products like these which aren't mature is ridiculous. They add little value to the hotel guest.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    saltyzip said:
    Why hotels are investing in products like these which aren't mature is ridiculous. They add little value to the hotel guest.
    I agree, assuming they just put it in there like we've seen before with many other technologies. 

I've  actually brought my Echo (and Apple TV) to my hotel room because it's a great portable device and I've very familiar with how to use them. I do have to use my old AirPort Express and MBP to create a separate secured local WiFi, access their WiFi to bypass their Firewall, and use a VPN, just to be safe, or some combination in the circumstances in which I've used them.

Now, there could be a business model for a standardized "digital concierge" that we'd all get to know how to use quickly. Even in a hallway attached to a wall or an elevator of hotels to ask a variety of questions that are most common by hotel guests.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 31 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:

Your privacy may become more of a concern if you suddenly find your financial/banking/credit card data breached.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 32 of 44
    eightzero said:
    Your privacy may become more of a concern if you suddenly find your financial/banking/credit card data breached.
    I only go to hotels that don't ask for ID and where I can pay with Bitcoin¡
  • Reply 33 of 44
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    igorsky said:
    No privacy issues with Siri as all computations are done on-device. Also I would think if you're a hotel, a device that offers support for only two languages is a non-starter.
    If the hotel is in the United States then English is good enough.   It's probably good enough in many international locations as Americans are probably the only travelers who are not multi-lingual.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    If Marriott uses Alexa, then you know only poor people stay at a Marriott. Marriott puts little value in their affluent customers.
    I would rather use Alexa which works better than SIRI.   Plus I don't want my phone or iPad responding if I have to say "hey Siri" to a hotel iPad.

• Reply 35 of 44
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:

Eh. Just don't have any money, or use a bank, or have a credit card. Solved. Right?
  • Reply 36 of 44
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    k2kw said:
    If Marriott uses Alexa, then you know only poor people stay at a Marriott. Marriott puts little value in their affluent customers.
    I would rather use Alexa which works better than SIRI.   Plus I don't want my phone or iPad responding if I have to say "hey Siri" to a hotel iPad.

It intrigued me that you are implying Alexa is more capable than Siri, because from my experience, there is nothing that Alexa can do Siri can't. On the other hand, Siri can do much more with iDevices than what Alexa can dream of.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    kevin kee said:
    k2kw said:

It intrigued me that you are implying Alexa is more capable than Siri, because from my experience, there is nothing that Alexa can do Siri can't. On the other hand, Siri can do much more with iDevices than what Alexa can dream of.
    For starters, Alexa can run multiple timers at once and Siri can't. On a more profound level there's an entire developer community for Alexa Skills that means the Echo is on par with the iPhone and App Store and Siri is more like a 1990's feature phone in that regard.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    k2kw said:

For starters, Alexa can run multiple timers at once and Siri can't. On a more profound level there's an entire developer community for Alexa Skills that means the Echo is on par with the iPhone and App Store and Siri is more like a 1990's feature phone in that regard.
    While multiple timers could be useful for some, let's be honest it's still a niche feature. That's just one example. Siri ties up with what your iOS can do, if the phone can do it so can Siri. I am not convinced that there was no a developer team that responsible and focus solely on improving Siri in Apple software department. It's not the quantity, it's the quality.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    kevin kee said:
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    k2kw said:

While multiple timers could be useful for some, let's be honest it's still a niche feature. That's just one example. Siri ties up with what your iOS can do, if the phone can do it so can Siri. I am not convinced that there was no a developer team that responsible and focus solely on improving Siri in Apple software department. It's not the quantity, it's the quality.
    1) Cooking isn't a niche, and this one of the many, many things people like about Alexa.

2) I offered you countless examples, not just one. My Echo can even find my iPhone for me… which is part of what I've already stated, and I can do it with a simple 2 second voice command, not accessing iCloud.com to type in my username and password and waiting for a webpage and GPS locations to hit so I can then cause my iPhone to beep.

3) Of course Siri is based on what your OS can do, which is why a device designed a stand alone device for the home has certain benefits which you keep discounting as useful. If Apple comes out with one is this space I'm guessing you'll not be so against it.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:

You mean the phone? What else does?

First thing I do is tell the front desk to have it removed. Big difference between my device and some other one that is generically available.