With iPhone SE upgrade, Apple heralds the end of low-capacity 16GB iPhones

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    "I hate how Apple is using 32GB on the lowest price"

We just got a doubling of the capacity, a much better processor, and the price dropped by $70 over what was available yesterday, yet there are people on this forum are complaining.
    StrangeDaysbaconstangration alpscooter63GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Arguably, 16 GB is more usable now than it was a few years ago because of enhanced iCloud features, the ability to optimize local storage automatically, and auto-delete old Messages.

But whatever.
    Not everybody opted for using iCloud. Main reason is that Apple servers still identify devices incorrectly and instead of using SMS infrastructure using phone number they try to dliver via Apple messaging infrastructure using cloud ID misdelivering messages. The logic should be decide by user - not by Apple preferences. I had messages never delivered to me, but to my family overseas just because theu used for a moment my ID when I was in possesion of device (a present for them). That is also reason why many left Apple iPhones and switched to Android devices, but they had to call Apple support because even Apple tool published did not do work for unregistering device properly. When I had that issue I actually had to go through that anmd their support confirmed issue on their side with apology.

I am not planning to re-enable iCloud on my iPhone any time soon until Apple corrects their identification logic... or never. If I am forces to use iCloud... I will be dumping iPhone and switching to mediocre Android devices that at least have proper message delivery. I consider this device communication device on phone network rather than vendor technology promotion. It has to work basics properly first and then we can talk about some fancy other usages like applications. let's not forget what primary use of this device is.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 23 of 37
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    16GB was obscene and should have gone long ago. Dropping it in 2017 is well overdue but about time. 32GB gives users far more flexibility although they are still being stupid by playing games with the middle capacities.

Micro SD is still missing of course because of the silly games with those pricing capacities.
    Nope, removable storage hasn't existed in any iOS devices since Day 1, and theyre better device ps because of that design decision. It's not some thick iKnockoff. There is no room for removable storage on my 7, and it's the finest smartphone i've ever owned. 
    Yep. Much to the pain of those entry level users who saw Apple take away their precious space to make way for iOS upgrades when connected via WiFi, many of whom only had entry level storage in the first place because Apple took away the second level tier looking for upsell, many of whom constantly ran into iTunes telling them they couldn't sync a file (because copying can sometimes be a nightmare) because a huge mysterious block of space named 'other' had used up all remaining space and that 'other' couldn't be eliminated without a restore.

So much fun!
    Cool story bro. Enjoy the iphone knockoff you're using. 
    ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 37
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    64GB should be minimum now a days. 

I wondered how long it would take for someone to say this. Well done.

Really, Apple should only offer one capacity - the largest they can fit. Unfortunately, given the cost of the Flash memory they use, this would mean no more "entry level" phone. Also, as was repeated multiple times in arguments over the 16GB model, some enterprises prefer to use a phone with as little space as possible for management reasons.

ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 37
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    But I thought people here said 16GB was just fine and anyone who had space issues just didn't know how to manage their storage properly.
    Because many here treat anything AAPL says as immutable Gospel... until AAPL changes their mind and then of course AAPL never said it and it couldn't be any other way (again immutable)... their Alt reality is the original Alternative facts genesis.
    avon b7
  • Reply 26 of 37
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    anome said:

I wondered how long it would take for someone to say this. Well done.

Really, Apple should only offer one capacity - the largest they can fit. Unfortunately, given the cost of the Flash memory they use, this would mean no more "entry level" phone. Also, as was repeated multiple times in arguments over the 16GB model, some enterprises prefer to use a phone with as little space as possible for management reasons.

Enterprise customers can probably get BTO options on storage but I can't see why they would need it. Most corporations I work with use tablets that are locked down, as are the laptops. 

I would also guess that the 32GB they are offering now is costing them no more (and perhaps even less) than the 16GB they were offering when the iPads were last refreshed.

At least 32GB is usable off the bat. They are still being unnecessarily evil by not offering a middle capacity, though.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 27 of 37
    But I thought people here said 16GB was just fine and anyone who had space issues just didn't know how to manage their storage properly.
    No one said that. If you had paid attention you'd see people saying that 16GB works for many users at the very low end, and that if you need more—see what I just wrote, "if you need more"?—there are other capacity tiers from which to choose.

The reason for this bump is mostly because NAND availability and therefore price points now make it viable, but I know plenty of longtime iPad users that because they are older or because it's a work iPad, that use well below the 16GB limit of the device.
    edited March 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 37
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Apple and Apple users will increasingly be facing the question of just how much memory do you need?

Not long ago everything was stored on the phone:  pictures, music, documents, etc....  Now, and increasingly, those things are stored in Apple's ICloud.   So, why would somebody need more than the minimum storage on their mobile device?

I don't mean that question to trash the 64-256Gb devices (my own phone is 128Gb).   But as a real question.  IF you decide to use ICloud storage, why would you pay the premium for the extra storage?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 37
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Arguably, 16 GB is more usable now than it was a few years ago because of enhanced iCloud features, the ability to optimize local storage automatically, and auto-delete old Messages.

But whatever.
    Not everybody opted for using iCloud. Main reason is that Apple servers still identify devices incorrectly and instead of using SMS infrastructure using phone number they try to dliver via Apple messaging infrastructure using cloud ID misdelivering messages. The logic should be decide by user - not by Apple preferences. I had messages never delivered to me, but to my family overseas just because theu used for a moment my ID when I was in possesion of device (a present for them). That is also reason why many left Apple iPhones and switched to Android devices, but they had to call Apple support because even Apple tool published did not do work for unregistering device properly. When I had that issue I actually had to go through that anmd their support confirmed issue on their side with apology.

I am not planning to re-enable iCloud on my iPhone any time soon until Apple corrects their identification logic... or never. If I am forces to use iCloud... I will be dumping iPhone and switching to mediocre Android devices that at least have proper message delivery. I consider this device communication device on phone network rather than vendor technology promotion. It has to work basics properly first and then we can talk about some fancy other usages like applications. let's not forget what primary use of this device is.
    Not many customers switch Apple IDs back and forth on IPhones.   Apple strongly discourages it.   So, for most people, Apple's system works fine. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Apple and Apple users will increasingly be facing the question of just how much memory do you need?

Not long ago everything was stored on the phone:  pictures, music, documents, etc....  Now, and increasingly, those things are stored in Apple's ICloud.   So, why would somebody need more than the minimum storage on their mobile device?

I don't mean that question to trash the 64-256Gb devices (my own phone is 128Gb).   But as a real question.  IF you decide to use ICloud storage, why would you pay the premium for the extra storage?
    That's simple to answer: Because you need more than the minimum storage space that is offered to users on the entry-level device.

Some casual users—weirdly in my opinion—want to store every fucking song they've ever downloaded or ripped. Others may want to carry around their entire photo collection—still weird, but at least I can understand my mother wants to have every possible picture of her kids and grandkids with her at all times. Others have a lot of videos, others have a lot of large apps, and other small subsets of groups that have a large amount of something that takes up a lot of storage space, or a combination, like a decent size music library, photo library, some videos to watch on vacation, and some large apps.

These people do exist, the problem is that people that complain that 16 GB isn't enough for anyone or (now) that 32 GB isn't enough for anyone only read "16 (32) GB is enough for everyone" when you post something plainly about different capacity models suit the needs of different users.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 37

The problem is the middlemen (the carriers). Very few mobile data plans are truly unlimited. That's why services like Drive can be setup to only upload when a WiFi connection is available. Between those WiFi connections you need to fall back on enough local storage.

I also prefer to have an encrypted backup available locally on my SD card in case of emergency.

That said, there is definitely a point when high storage offers little further advantage. I consider 128GB to be more than comfortable.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    16GB was inadequate, years ago when the article says that the complaining started. Since then, 32GB is not sufficient either.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    why?
    My mom does not even need a smart phone.
    Why would she even need a higher capacity on it?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 37
    urahara said:
    why?

I think you answered your own question. If she doesn't need a smartphone, she can get by with the memory on the SIM and have zero external memory.

For people that do need a smartphone, 16GB was woefully lacking.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    urahara said:
    why?

She could be given feature phone with 4 GB memory. Why give her an iPhone?
  • Reply 36 of 37
    urahara said:
    why?

She could be given feature phone with 4 GB memory. Why give her an iPhone?
    And if the reason for giving her an iPhone was so she could FaceTime, or have iMessages, or want a phone that is designed well for the hearing or seeing impaired, or any number of specific reasons that make the iPhone a only option over any feature phone?