New Apple Park drone footage reveals occupied research and development building, landscapi...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    All of these buildings and all of these employees, and what comes of it - a [Red] iPhone, and not a whole lot more. WTF are they doing? Cooks says "lots in the pipeline" Is he talking about the Keystone pipeline? Certainly after all of this time, people and acquisitions you'd think there'd be some amazing tech happening — what a sad excuse for a company Apple has become. I've been using their products exclusively since 1993, but I just can't see this continuing!
    For sentimental reasons I am sure that the senior management of Apple want to announce "the next big thing" in the Steve Jobs Theatre. Give them a month or two more.
    cali
  • Reply 22 of 38
    If R&D is up and running, I'd say it's time for no more drone photos. Nice to see the build, but ... Let's get real here. 
    cali
  • Reply 23 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    You'd think Apple would use a special laminate that would prevent anything from being able to see inside their buildings.
    calipscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 24 of 38
    cali said:
    When will flying drones on this private property be illegal?

Last thing we need is some kid flying a drone through the R&D centers and selling secrets to Samsung.
    Airspace isn't private property. 
    Wanna bet?  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_rights
    Soliericthehalfbee
  • Reply 25 of 38
    If R&D is up and running, I'd say it's time for no more drone photos. Nice to see the build, but ... Let's get real here. 

You actually think any secret R&D is being done here? After seeing the steps you need to go through just to get a visit inside Jony Ive's lab?

I highly doubt anything important (as in future products) is being done in any office that has a window. And not everyone involved in R&D is handling prototypes for upcoming devices - the people in these outside facing offices are probably doing initial research or other tasks that aren't so "secret".
    magman1979
  • Reply 26 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    All of these buildings and all of these employees, and what comes of it - a [Red] iPhone, and not a whole lot more. WTF are they doing? Cooks says "lots in the pipeline" Is he talking about the Keystone pipeline? Certainly after all of this time, people and acquisitions you'd think there'd be some amazing tech happening — what a sad excuse for a company Apple has become. I've been using their products exclusively since 1993, but I just can't see this continuing!
    Terrible post. The red phone was a freebie and not a main product event so i have no idea what you're complaining about. The products keep getting better and better -- iphone, ipad, watch, macbook, etc, and we have new entries like airpods. I can't imagine using old gear because the new gear is so good. Many of the improvements are things you don't even see, like display tech. How do you think this happens? Magic elves? Or do they just fall off all the new trees?

If you're so disappointed what's stopping you from using a Dell?

Also, what the hell is Pansonic doing -- all their TVs looks the same! So mad. 
    edited March 2017 aaronjmagman1979
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Let's analyze this post, shall we?

1) "All of these buildings and all of these employees, and what comes of it - a [Red] iPhone, and not a whole lot more."
    First we have an implication that this update that was so minor on Apple's radar that it didn't warrant a special event. They've announced Red products at Apple events in the past, right? The ironically named poster also implies that because Apple is having a new campus build that the "all these buildings," which are barely in use at this point, and "all these employees" were all working on getting out this Red iPhone with nothing else to be released, supporters, or the non-tech job that most employees do.

2) "WTF are they doing? Cooks says "lots in the pipeline" Is he talking about the Keystone pipeline?"
    Here we have a dismissal that products are in the pipeline because enough products and/or enough big products haven't come out of the pipeline. Does he know something we don't? Does releasing a Red iPhone without fanfare mean that there can't be anything else in the pipelines? Was there some time limit that everything had to be announced by a certain date or It spoils? Does he not know that creating an entire product is very different than pumping crude oil through a tube?

3) "Certainly after all of this time, people and acquisitions you'd think there'd be some amazing tech happening"
    You'd think, and you'd be correct. The new MacBook Pros are amazing. The iPhone 7 is best in class. Then you have the amazing AirPods. Let's not forget the amazing T1 ad W1 chips released in the past 6 months. Who else is going to do that? All of those are amazing achievements that were all recently updated, and yet March of 2017 without new products so people complain.

4) "What a sad excuse for a company Apple has become."
    A sad excuse for a company that has grown and expanded in amazing ways. A company that has amazing vertical and horizontal integration. A company that designs their own chips, builds their own HW, and creates their own OSes and apps. A new MacBook Pro that uses a chip Apple designed so it can store Touch ID and Apple Pay data, run a small display for the touch bar all using a version of OS X built from watchOS in much the same vein as Apple first built iOS from macOS. Does that sound like a company resting on their laurels? Not to me.

5) "I've been using their products exclusively since 1993, but I just can't see this continuing!"
    Who uses products from one company exclusively? Even Apple doesn't only use Apple products. I can't imagine someone using EarBuds even thought they don't sound great  and then saying "but I only use Apple products." This tells me it's a baldfaced lie or a really silly policy. You should always use the best option for the job, not focus on a brand name. If Apple's wireless keyboard is the best option for you then go right ahead, but if you need one that has a number pad and other keys, then buy one of the many other great options.

As for Apple's progress since 1993, remember in 1993 how shitty their Macs there. Remember that they only had Macs. It wasn't until 2001 that the iPod came out, which is 8 years after he said he was only using Apple products exclusively. I'm guessing he probably worked for a company that had WinPCs. Then it was another 6 years until the iPhone came out. Then another 3 years before the iPad, which was the same iOS as the iPhone, but a different UI for a larger display. Before 1993 we have to go all the way back to 1984 for the Mac launch.

Seems like Apple done a lot to me, but if he wants to go to some other vendor exclusively because there was no major event in March then who am I to stop him, although I would suggest that someone consider why there was a product release at all this week and why the speed of betas are increasing even though we're 3 months out from WWDC, but that would require someone to think, man.
    aaronjmagman1979StrangeDaysRayz2016JinTechcornchip
  • Reply 28 of 38
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    Yes, you're right, they are all just sitting around and gazing at their navels.  LOL.  You've got to move beyond just the reader's comments and examine what is going on.  To begin with, Apple spends more on R and D than just about every other company in the world, over $11 billion dollars a year.  However, unlike other tech companies, Apple doesn't believe in announcing what they are working on until the tech is ready to release to the public.  That approach frustrates some folks who take for granted that they are already using "amazing tech" but can't wait until the newest technology comes out.  That approach has also led Apple into growing into the most valuable company in the world,  record setting profits, owning just about every tech category they enter, and an unmatched ecosystem that you, despite your impatience at wanting even more, will likely never leave because there's nothing like it that comes close to their combination of hardware, software, services with the industry best privacy and security.  This year impatient folks like you will likely get even better iPhones, iPads, next Gen Siri, etc., but the Apple addicts you are, you'll still be craving even more. 

magman1979StrangeDays
  • Reply 29 of 38
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Terrible post. The red phone was a freebie and not a main product event so i have no idea what you're complaining about. The products keep getting better and better -- iphone, ipad, watch, macbook, etc, and we have new entries like airpods. I can't imagine using old gear because the new gear is so good. Many of the improvements are things you don't even see, like display tech. How do you think this happens? Magic elves? Or do they just fall off all the new trees?

Although Magic Elves would be pretty cool, I find myself having to vote for falling out of trees, unfortunately.

Seriously though, that place looks so amazing.  Once everything is done and especially the landscaping, it's going to be so stunning. Now the question becomes, how do I find a way to get a job there when I have absolutely no discernible talent? :)
    StrangeDayspatchythepirate
  • Reply 30 of 38
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    aaronj said:

Although Magic Elves would be pretty cool, I find myself having to vote for falling out of trees, unfortunately.

Seriously though, that place looks so amazing.  Once everything is done and especially the landscaping, it's going to be so stunning. Now the question becomes, how do I find a way to get a job there when I have absolutely no discernible talent? :)
    Sanitation Engineer?  They're needed everywhere.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 31 of 38
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    macseeker said:
    aaronj said:

Sanitation Engineer?  They're needed everywhere.
    Excellent point!  If it works out I'll owe you.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Soli said:
    1) The R&D building has looked occurred all year.

No, it looks ready for occupancy.  But if you look closer, there isn't a single thing on anyone's desk.   It really doesn't look like anyone is working there as yet.  

And as far as other comments are concerned that some shots look like a model, I think that's because of the scale.   Even when there's a construction worker in the shot, it's hard to conceive just how large this thing is.   And if the drones are ever using tilt-shift lenses, it can make large things look like small models.    You can see this effect at the beginning of the Colbert show.   
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 33 of 38
    zoetmb said:
    Soli said:
    1) The R&D building has looked occupied all year.
    No, it looks ready for occupancy.  But if you look closer, there isn't a single thing on anyone's desk.   It really doesn't look like anyone is working there as yet.  

And as far as other comments are concerned that some shots look like a model, I think that's because of the scale.   Even when there's a construction worker in the shot, it's hard to conceive just how large this thing is.   And if the drones are ever using tilt-shift lenses, it can make large things look like small models.    You can see this effect at the beginning of the Colbert show.   
    How to do you think this works? The contractors do everything and then every employee moves in on the same day? Who do you think has to configure and verify the network setup? Who do you think has to verify their security checkpoints? Can you not understand how certain departments, like IT and security, will occupy a space before other departments, like administration and accounting? You can't say a space is occupied because Jony Ive hasn't switched his office. If you really think it's impossible that any Apple staff is working in this building, whether it's IT, security, or other staff readying the mass migration of the typical R&D staff, then when do you think it will happen?
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:

1) "All of these buildings and all of these employees, and what comes of it - a [Red] iPhone, and not a whole lot more."
    First we have an implication that this update that was so minor on Apple's radar that it didn't warrant a special event. They've announced Red products at Apple events in the past, right? The ironically named poster also implies that because Apple is having a new campus build that the "all these buildings," which are barely in use at this point, and "all these employees" were all working on getting out this Red iPhone with nothing else to be released, supporters, or the non-tech job that most employees do.

2) "WTF are they doing? Cooks says "lots in the pipeline" Is he talking about the Keystone pipeline?"
    Here we have a dismissal that products are in the pipeline because enough products and/or enough big products haven't come out of the pipeline. Does he know something we don't? Does releasing a Red iPhone without fanfare mean that there can't be anything else in the pipelines? Was there some time limit that everything had to be announced by a certain date or It spoils? Does he not know that creating an entire product is very different than pumping crude oil through a tube?

3) "Certainly after all of this time, people and acquisitions you'd think there'd be some amazing tech happening"
    You'd think, and you'd be correct. The new MacBook Pros are amazing. The iPhone 7 is best in class. Then you have the amazing AirPods. Let's not forget the amazing T1 ad W1 chips released in the past 6 months. Who else is going to do that? All of those are amazing achievements that were all recently updated, and yet March of 2017 without new products so people complain.

A sad excuse for a company that has grown and expanded in amazing ways. A company that has amazing vertical and horizontal integration. A company that designs their own chips, builds their own HW, and creates their own OSes and apps. A new MacBook Pro that uses a chip Apple designed so it can store Touch ID and Apple Pay data, run a small display for the touch bar all using a version of OS X built from watchOS in much the same vein as Apple first built iOS from macOS. Does that sound like a company resting on their laurels? Not to me.

5) "I've been using their products exclusively since 1993, but I just can't see this continuing!"
    Who uses products from one company exclusively? Even Apple doesn't only use Apple products. I can't imagine someone using EarBuds even thought they don't sound great  and then saying "but I only use Apple products." This tells me it's a baldfaced lie or a really silly policy. You should always use the best option for the job, not focus on a brand name. If Apple's wireless keyboard is the best option for you then go right ahead, but if you need one that has a number pad and other keys, then buy one of the many other great options.

As for Apple's progress since 1993, remember in 1993 how shitty their Macs there. Remember that they only had Macs. It wasn't until 2001 that the iPod came out, which is 8 years after he said he was only using Apple products exclusively. I'm guessing he probably worked for a company that had WinPCs. Then it was another 6 years until the iPhone came out. Then another 3 years before the iPad, which was the same iOS as the iPhone, but a different UI for a larger display. Before 1993 we have to go all the way back to 1984 for the Mac launch.

Seems like Apple done a lot to me, but if he wants to go to some other vendor exclusively because there was no major event in March then who am I to stop him, although I would suggest that someone consider why there was a product release at all this week and why the speed of betas are increasing even though we're 3 months out from WWDC, but that would require someone to think, man.
    Standing ovation
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    zoetmb said:
    Soli said:

Depends on what time of day the footage was shot. 

If it was shot early morning or early evening then maybe folk aren't at work yet. 

I've worked for a lot of companies that stipulate a 'clear desk' policy: at the end of the day you have to clear your workspace. This is to make sure that sensitive materials aren't left out to be photographed, and so the cleaners can wipe down the desks. 

edited March 2017 Soli
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Rayz2016 said:
    zoetmb said:
    Soli said:

If it was shot early morning or early evening then maybe folk aren't at work yet. 

I've worked for a lot of companies that stipulate a 'clear desk' policy: at the end of the day you have to clear your workspace. This is to make sure that sensitive materials aren't left out to be photographed, and so the cleaners can wipe down the desks. 
    Excellent points, and I bet both a apple in general and an R&D facility are more strick than your typical company.

Based on the outside and inside lights, it does seem to be outside standard business hours... unless I missed a solar eclipse.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Soli said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    zoetmb said:
    Soli said:

Excellent points, and I bet both a apple in general and an R&D facility are more strick than your typical company.

Based on the outside and inside lights, it does seem to be outside standard business hours... unless I missed a solar eclipse.
    I guess you both missed the first second of the video where it stated it was 7:00 AM.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Soli said:

Thanks, saved me from writing something similar. I am getting tire of all these people who think every month Apple should be turning out something revolutionary, but these same people can not even say what the "something" should be. What is the next great "something" that billions of people world wide much have and will use.
    cornchip