GigSky adds 40+ regions for iPad data plans on Apple SIM, raises caps in North America

Posted:
in iPad
GigSky -- a company specializing in data plans for iPad users with Apple SIMs -- on Wednesday announced it's adding over 40 more regions, while improving the value of existing plans in North America.

Among the newly-supported markets are Argentina, the Bahamas, Colombia, Guam, Kenya, and Morocco. GigSky's plans are aimed mainly at tourists and other travelers, since the key feature of the Apple SIM is the ability to change data providers on the fly without having to insert a new card.

In the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and Puerto Rico, GigSky is now offering 5 gigabytes of data for $50. U.S. and Puerto Rican plans previously included 3 gigabytes for the same price, while Canadian and Mexican plans were limited to 1 gigabyte.

Most European plans bundle 3 gigabytes, but some other markets may still be getting as little as 1 gigabyte. GigSky now covers over 180 regions in total.

Apple SIMs are compatible with the cellular versions of a number of iPads, ranging from the Air 2 and Mini 3 through to the new 9.7-inch budget iPad. In some countries iPads may come bundled with Apple SIMs, but in others shoppers may have to ask for one.

Apple so far has relatively few carrier partners supporting the technology, though some bigger names are included. Among them are AT&T, au, SoftBank, Sprint, 3, T-Mobile US, and Deutsche Telekom.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    fh-acefh-ace Posts: 49member
    ATT offers 4 gig for $30 per month in US which seems like a better offer. 
  • Reply 2 of 5
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    fh-ace said:
    Doesn't AT&T's pre-paid iPad plan also not count video from YouTube?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Does anybody just sell data without a monthly plan? I'd like to buy 5G or 10G from a carrier and have, say, a year to use it. At which time I would just buy more.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mike1 said:
    Does anybody just sell data without a monthly plan? I'd like to buy 5G or 10G from a carrier and have, say, a year to use it. At which time I would just buy more.
    T-Mobile offers 5gb for (up to) 150 days. Although you can buy multiple 150-day plans and stack them, if you don't replenish the account with at least $10 once a year, T-Mobile disconnects the line rendering the SIM card useless. If you sign up for T-Mobile (day/week/month), it's probably smarter to first sign up for the 200mb free data "for life" plan, then tack on a day/week/month pass.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    fh-ace said:
    Purchasing direct from the AT&T option (versus GigSky) will lock your SIM/embedded SIM to AT&T.