New Apple ads tout on iPad Pro battery life, laptop replacement features

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2017
Apple on Thursday continued its iPad Pro ad campaign with three new installments featuring the tablet's abilty to act as a desktop replacement, long battery life and educational features.

The three ads posted to Apple's YouTube channel are the latest in the company's Twitter inspired campaign that uses real tweets to underscore iPad Pro's effectiveness as a tablet.

The first of today's ads, titled "All day battery," dramatically recreates a scene laid out by @srboilers in which her laptop dies halfway through a flight. Cut to a disembodied hand browsing Netflix, which recently gained the ability to cache offline videos, and a voiceover touting iPad Pro's all day battery life.

Apple's second commercial features a tweet from @totallytali, who complains she can't get any work done in her dorm room. Luckily, iPad Pro supports a number of digital textbooks, and Slide Over lets users take notes on one side of the screen while reading on the other.

Apple Pencil also makes its way into the second ad.

Finally, "Light and powerful" highlights iPad Pro's lightweight chassis -- "about a pound," according to the voiceover -- and ability to run desktop class apps like Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint. The ad was inspired by a Twitter user who complains their laptop weighs "five million tons."

Each of today's commercials run 15 seconds long, in line with reports that Apple is placing an emphasis on digital shorts that can be easily shared on social media platforms. Earlier ads in the iPad Pro series also follow the 15-second cap, seemingly backing up these claims.

In addition to shorter, more succinct commercials, Apple is also said to be moving away from sweeping global campaigns in favor of regional ads that target specific demographics.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    The Toshiba ultrabook actually forms the stand for iPad Pro 12.9, and AirVideoHD takes over some interactions from Mac mini.
    I love these ads - normal people's needs delivered with fun!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I have an iPad Air 2 and its GREAT.   I imagine that the new iPad just released is even better.

But I carry a laptop around because I need to use a mouse when getting into my company's system.
    (a windows PC laptop).

I/m sure that Apple could at mouse support to iOS on the iPad, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon.
    Sadly that's probably will not happen soon because Apple probably has other projects ahead.

But hopefully we will see more software development aimed at the iPadPro that makes it a compelling
    purchase for more than just artists. 

GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    k2kw said:
    But I carry a laptop around because I need to use a mouse when getting into my company's system. (a windows PC laptop).

Maybe your company will migrate to more mobile centric workflows so you won't need to carry around the notebook.  Apple and IBM have that partnership for a reason.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Put 4G RAM in the small one & I'll buy one tomorrow. I figure I need that much for it to  remain future proof for the next five years.   I've had my current iPad3 for five years, and I'm not going to purchase another future down-version device. Cheers!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    k2kw said:
    I have an iPad Air 2 and its GREAT.   I imagine that the new iPad just released is even better.
    Except it's thicker and its display is not laminated unlike iPad Air 2. Yes, new iPad is in some ways worse than iPad Air 2 so Apple can upswell people to iPad Pro. Not my Apple.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 6 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Put 4G RAM in the small one & I'll buy one tomorrow. I figure I need that much for it to  remain future proof for the next five years.   I've had my current iPad3 for five years, and I'm not going to purchase another future down-version device. Cheers!
    In time this request will happen. I wonder when. They also need camera/flash parity and display parity.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 7 of 15
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    The Mini 4 has the A8 CPU and M8 coprocessor. It's a refresh behind the newest "regular" iPad which has the A9/M9. Hopefully it'll get a bump up in RAM this year but don't hold your breath. It may have to wait for 2018.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 15
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    k2kw said:
    But I carry a laptop around because I need to use a mouse when getting into my company's system. (a windows PC laptop).

Maybe your company will migrate to more mobile centric workflows so you won't need to carry around the notebook.  Apple and IBM have that partnership for a reason.
    Unlikely....
    For business users that cursor serves a purpose.  Forcing staff to operate without it sacrifices productivity -- which, for business, is the whole point of technology.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    There's more to life than RAM.  The 32bit A5X processor in your IPad 3 is not long for this world...  It's sort of the Pentium-4 of the Apple world...  And besides, neither can address 4Gb Ram because of its 32 bit architecture.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    ireland said:
    k2kw said:
    Except it's thicker and its display is not laminated unlike iPad Air 2. Yes, new iPad is in some ways worse than iPad Air 2 so Apple can upswell people to iPad Pro. Not my Apple.
    Ahhh!  So, by your rules, Apple can only sell high-end or, more specifically, highest-end equipment? 

That would be nice...  But, the rest of the world wants something affordable.   If you think about it, less than 2 years ago, the A9 processor WAS the top of the Apple line.  Have your needs changed that much in 18 months that you would spend twice as much to get 'state of the art'?  Many on this forum would do that -- and that's fine.   But, most people would not.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    ireland said:
    k2kw said:
    It's not "to upsell" -- it's to meet the incredibly low price point of $329. A full sized tablet for 329 -- think about that. That's cheap. And fast. You can't expect to get all the same features as the previous for a much lower price. 

If it turns out you need more features, and want to pay for them, great you can go w/ a Pro. But it's not some mustache-twirling conspiracy -- my mother sure as hell doesn't need a Pro and has no idea what a laminated display is. Different tiers of products exist for different needs/value. My insurance offers "Silver" and "Gold" levels -- is the Silver just a decoy-product in order to up-sell me to Gold? Uh, no. It's a choice. Different people have different use cases. Choice is good.
    edited March 2017 brucemcwatto_cobraGeorgeBMacradarthekat
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Timeline for this whole series:
    3-4 seconds presents problem/unfounded myth via Twitter for some reason
    5-6 seconds omniscient calm guy states that the iPad is the solution or busts some myth
    5 seconds of humor

Those last 5 seconds are invariably grating ("Word? Word. Word. Yeah, Word. Wweeeeerrrrrd.") and I wish they all ended at 9-10 seconds. But that's just me. I'm super happy with my new iPad Pro with 128 GB RAM.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 13 of 15
    CelTanCelTan Posts: 46member
    All the adds speak of my new daily life - on business meetings, I can do all work on my 9.7"Pro - yes, sometimes a MacBook would be slightly more convenient, especially when getting files, unzipping and opening large CSV files etc. I am waiting for a good productivity app for local databases. But even with the limitations, the iPad is the better business travel companion (for me)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Timeline for this whole series:
    3-4 seconds presents problem/unfounded myth via Twitter for some reason
    5-6 seconds omniscient calm guy states that the iPad is the solution or busts some myth
    5 seconds of humor

Those last 5 seconds are invariably grating ("Word? Word. Word. Yeah, Word. Wweeeeerrrrrd.") and I wish they all ended at 9-10 seconds. But that's just me. I'm super happy with my new iPad Pro with 128 GB RAM.
    It definitely may be just you -- to counter your anecdote with my own, I find the humor effective and got a chuckle out of the Word gag. Not everybody has the same sensibilities (and definitely not online rumor folks) so it's pretty silly to declare them ineffective just because you personally aren't amused.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    ireland said:
    k2kw said:
    - It is ever so slightly thicker than Air 2 - but since are you one that always bitches about Apple being too focused on making devices thinner, you should be happy.
    - Laminated screen...yes, exactly the point that those looking for a more affordable iPad will be bitching about (...not).  Just ignore the processor increase, a brighter display and $70 price reduction.
    - To go from a $329 iPad to a $599 iPad Pro is $270 increase - hardly a very smart "up-sell" strategy.
    - If Apple raises the price you bitch, and if Apple lowers the price you bitch that it is a conspiracy.

Face it, you have become an incessant whiner.
    watto_cobraradarthekat