New Apple Watch Series 2 ad showcases waterproofing & fitness features

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple on Friday debuted a new ad, "Live Bright," once again highlighting the fitness-connected features on the Apple Watch Series 2, particularly its waterproofing.

Actors in the spot can be seen hiking, sprinting, and playing sports, as well as doing many other activities that make use of the watchOS Activity and Workout apps. Often though scenes specifically involve water, namely swimming, riding a waterslide, or dashing through a balloon fight.

Only brief interludes focus on other watchOS features, such as the Breathe app or animated emoji.

Apple has placed a heavy emphasis on fitness with the Series 2, both in its design and recent marketing. In addition to being waterproof, the accessory includes built-in GPS for running, cycling, and walking, and comes in a Nike+ edition with a different band and special preloaded software. The band is now available separately.

Very few rumors have emerged about what a third-generation Apple Watch will offer. Apple could be adding LTE, which would allow it to work fully independently of an iPhone. It might also switch from touch-on-lens technology to glass-film, though that's unlikely to have much impact on actually using the device.
GeorgeBMac

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    I'll upgrade when they have LTE. 
  • Reply 2 of 8
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    Nicely done  
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Blimey!

That was a bit intense! :-O

• Reply 4 of 8
    toysandme said:
    ME TOO!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    toysandme said:
    While I'm sure that will inevitably happen one day, I can't imagine going without mine until then due to the value it delivers to me today and from Day 1. activity tracking, my gym apps, wireless ipod, homekit and lighting, notifications, and Apple Pay (forgot my wallet and phone the other day but still checked out at the grocery store! woot). Since I usually have my phone or wifi nearby anyway data hasn't been a problem so far. 
    jdgazGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I have to say, I've owned virtually every product Apple have made since 1978 and when I bought my wife the Watch version 2 (never bought a version 1)I had no idea it was a Dick Tracy phone, I really thought it was a watch plus fitness gadget only.  Tons of people I know, anecdotal I realize, didn't know it was an auxiliary phone either.  Apple should really push this feature big time.  My wife, a busy Realtor, now uses her Watch as a way to answer calls all the time.  She doesn't know how she ever lived without it now.
    edited March 2017 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I see adding LTE as a bit like adding GPS -- it's great for marketing, but adds little in the way of actual functionality (aka "Making People's Lives Better")

My original series serves quite well without either GPS or LTE -- and I am an avid runner and cyclist.  Even the waterproofing of the series 2 is no big deal as the original series is waterproof enough for running/cycling in the rain.   I just have to remember to take it off when I get into the shower -- although I have heard rumors that Tim Cook showered with his original series (But then, for him, replacing a water logged watch would involve embarrassment more so than a financial loss).

I see the actual advances in the Series 3 will be:
    --  start using the band to add functionality (probably by activating the port underneath the band's attachment to the watch).
    --  Add sensors such as oxygenation levels, glucose readings, etc....

Measuring oxygenation and glucose readings could revolutionize endurance sports such as marathon running as the biggest handicaps any long distance runner faces is depletion of either of those (It's why runners "carb load" before a race -- to build up their body's supply of glycogen).  In fact, managing both of those more precisely could lead to record breaking marathon times...
    watto_cobrasteveau
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    toysandme said:
    While I'm sure that will inevitably happen one day, I can't imagine going without mine until then due to the value it delivers to me today and from Day 1. activity tracking, my gym apps, wireless ipod, homekit and lighting, notifications, and Apple Pay (forgot my wallet and phone the other day but still checked out at the grocery store! woot). Since I usually have my phone or wifi nearby anyway data hasn't been a problem so far. 
    Agreed, though to be honest there is nothing I am doing now that I couldn't have done without the Watch, but it is an excellent motivator. 

I do the breathing exercises, get up and walk around when it tells me to, and I make sure I walk 2 miles every day to get the damned rings closed. I have also been known to take a phone call on the watch, but only in the privacy of my own home :-)

And now that theatre mode is here, they've killed off a pretty serious annoyance.  Remember all the reports that came out saying that Apple was introducing a mode for using the iPhone in a theatre. Common sense should have told people that Apple wouldn't do that. 

The only thing that could make theatre mode better is if it could turn off everyone else's phone as well.