All-new Mac Pro with modular design, Apple-branded pro displays coming in 2018

Comments

• Reply 61 of 198
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

As for an Apple-branded pro display, that announcement would appear to be an about-face for the company, after it suggested last year that it was permanently exiting the standalone monitor business. It instead partnered with LG Display for a pair of new ultra-high-resolution displays that connect over USB-C and Thunderbolt 3.
    Actually no, AI -- Apple never said they were leaving the monitor business. That was a "rumor", put forth by Verge's Nilay Patel, a prime anti-apple troll. No release, no announcement. 

Just like how they have not said theyre leaving the wifi business, despite the rumors and your own articles and supposed sources.
    williamlondonsuddenly newtonration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 198
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    rfrmac said:
     What has Apple been doing for the last 3 now 4 years?  It certainly hasn't been doing desktop computers.  
    What do you call the 5K iMac? 
    StrangeDaysration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 198
    John Gruber who was in the room has a great piece on this. In it he reveals MP customers are a single-digit of total mac sales. He believes closer to the 1% than 9:

http://daringfireball.net/2017/04/the_mac_pro_lives
    tmay
  • Reply 64 of 198
    jaaycojaayco Posts: 46member
    sog35 said:
    The current Mac Pro is another example of horrible design by Ive and Co.  I'm glad many of the senior designers are leaving. Its obvious Apple needs new blood.

The Mac Pro is another example of design going to far and destroying the practicality of the product. And the design itself kinda sucks. A trash can? ugly.

I'm curious what other horrible designs you are referring to? Are there other amazing designers out there that have a better hit rate than these guys? Is this design any less practical than the Microsoft Surface Studio? Happy to hold these guys to a higher standard, but where is that higher standard? Samsung? Google? Maybe you thought the Amazon phone design was brilliant? Super easy to criticise. What exactly are you after?
    StrangeDayswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 198

So Schiller is basically saying Apple made a mistake without using that word. I'm a little surprised it took them this long but saying you screwed up is not easy.
    Yeah, I can't remember you saying it either after all the years posting off-base conspiracy theories about Apple trying to screw you with malicious intent. I guess it is hard to say.
    ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 198
    avon b7 said:
    Two things to applaud. Communication and admitting they got the design wrong.
    Read it again. They bet on parallel processing in the GPUs, but the industry didn't move there. It's not so much as the "design" being wrong, as it the prediction of industry computing trends.
    seeker143ration altenthousandthingswatto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 67 of 198
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    So Apple is incapable of walking and chewing gun at the same time? How long does it take to design a tower that serves the market- we do not give a crap about styling. Take the Pre-Trashcan form factor and update it for the current market- that should take a small team little time.

A company as big and well heeled as Apple should be able to serve a select small market and waste gobs of money on crap like Animated Balloons on Text Messages and Facebook integration. Serving specialty markets is common in business all the time- you do not have to make a killing on every product line. The line should have been kept up to date all along and the Black Trashcan was a tragic mistake.

In Medicine, Hospitals and Clinics commonly offer necessary services that are break even at best because it is in the best interest of the customers. Mammography is a prime example- unless you do huge volume you will never make a dime providing the service, but it is done anyhow. Apple makes truckloads on iPhones and should be able to subsidize the high end pro market.
    Comparing Apple to a Hospital....................LOLOLOOLLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!
    I am comparing businesses. And BTW, one of the markets Apple abandoned was high end Radiology Workstations so you could have your Trashcan and Facebook integration. Pro Computers do more than edit video, compose complex music, or maintain large databases.

Apple is a business, a Hospital is a business, an Airline is a business, a Car Company is a business. Now you might want to fix your keyboard because it is either sticking on L, O and ! or you might want to grow up.
    Again comparing Apple to a Hospital.......................LOLOLOLOOLOLOOOLOLOOOLOLLOLOLOOOLLLOOL!!!!

I'm sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about if you think the business Apple runs is even comparable to a hospital.
    But Apple, IBM, etc. sell Macs and iDevices to hospitals, airlines... And apparently some Mac Pros and lots of maxed-out iMacs to IT in those businesses... if only for code development.

That wasn't the point. DavidAlGreogory's point is that Apple should run there BUSINESS like a hospital. Which is totally and utterly ridiculous and ignorant.

He said Hospitals run machinery that loses them money to serve a niche customer group and he expects Apple to do the same. He expects Apple to run its business like St Mary's Hospital. Ridiculous.
    No, his point is that Apple is a business -- not the same business as a hospital -- but a business, nonetheless!

Apple realizes that there is great potential to sell Macs and iDevices to businesses (including hospitals) -- hence Apple's partnerships with IBM, Cisco, SAP...

http://www.cio.com/article/3078053/ios/apples-enterprise-partnerships-big-and-small-start-to-pay-off.html

Because it doesn't jibe with your one-size-fits-all vision of the future doesn't make it untrue.

watto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 68 of 198

linkman said:
    linkman said:
    If this refresh/update comes out in 2018, then it's what, only three years late?
    Never good enough for some people. How miserable.
    It was released on December 19, 2013. The next update of ANY kind was April 4, 2017. In the computer world, that's a long time. Waiting until *maybe* 2018 or later for a significant upgrade to what is supposed to be the professional workstation model with huge amounts of processing power is simply asking for some dissatisfied customers.
    I'm sorry but there's simply nothing that Apple could do that would have sirisfied some of the people who post on the blogs and rumor sites. Nothing. Also, the fact that Apple didn't just drop the Mac Pro when they said in the DF piece that it accounts for a single digit percentage of PRO users, (not overall users, not Mac users, but people who use a pro level app daily or at least once a week) is a very very good sign that all the whining about the doom of Apple and Tim Cook, yadda yadda, was a lot of wasted breath, typing, and energy.
    No, the MP is single-digit of ALL mac buyers: "Apple declined to describe the Mac Pro’s share of all Mac sales any more specifically than “a single-digit percent”, but my gut feeling is that the single digit is a lot closer to 1 than it is to 9."
    ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 198
    aaaashyaaaashy Posts: 1member
    there was NEVER the need to get rid of the MacPro tower ... that was a BIG mistake!

the trashcan design required numerous parts, of what i call the whole system, to be left strewn about the desk or floor  .. what was the point of that? where was the design-thinking?

at that point the focus was on miniaturisation without any real understanding that the bigger the MacPro the more it could hold, the less it would overheat, and the more it could be updated to the OWNERS satisfaction

and i despaired .... i now no longer trust Apple to do the right thing, i sincerely hope i am proved wrong, but having owned many MacPro's since 1991 and having stuck with my mid-2010 tower i am going to have to see a real turnabout in Apple's thinking before i regain a belief in the company
  • Reply 70 of 198
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

So Schiller is basically saying Apple made a mistake without using that word. I'm a little surprised it took them this long but saying you screwed up is not easy.
    Yeah, I can't remember you saying it either after all the years posting off-base conspiracy theories about Apple trying to screw you with malicious intent. I guess it is hard to say.
    I'm not sure what this announcement has to do with me.
    wozwoz
  • Reply 71 of 198

As for an Apple-branded pro display, that announcement would appear to be an about-face for the company, after it suggested last year that it was permanently exiting the standalone monitor business
    No, they never suggested any such thing. It is an about-face for the tech media that drew its own (wrong) conclusions, as usual.
    But they allowed the notion they were out of the display business to linger on. I think had the LG display been better received Apple wouldn't be taking about new displays.
    So even tho wrong, you think you would have been right. Got it...Convenient world view.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 198
    lightfallstudiolightfallstudio Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Don't adjust your TV set.  Apple refuses do something as simple as watch LinusTechTips on Youtube, among many others like Snazzy Labs, to see that 15-year-old boys and girls can build or modify Mac Pro's 3 times faster at 30% of the price.  It's true.  

The company doesn't even support the Kaby Lake CPU — what's that, 9 months beyond its Aug 2016 release?  But tech journalists are so enamored with Apple's integration they can't take their eyes off the shiny objects & accessories to see that it is not - even with this announcement - a priority.  Anytime it humbles itself to the Apple community, loyal users swoon.  Just remember, it's a tool, it's a device.  What are your needs?  I like my MacBook Pro for traveling, teaching.  But it is NOT a 4-wheel drive in the matters of 3D rendering and Video Editing. Games.  Adobe apps, it all has an economy of scale.

Look for yourself.  You can still have a Mac and not have to be bound to Johnny Ive's Wheelchair With Touchbar. 

If you built a base machine today, using a Ryzen 1800 by AMD with 8 cores, 64gb of 3200 RAM, an M2 (mini ssd that delivers sequential Read/Write speeds up to 3,200 MB/s) to hold the OS and a GTX 1070 -- at $1350, you will score almost 20,000 on the Geekbench logs. (Compare to Apple's $8,000 8-core MacPro at a score of 24,000)  It is not a Mac and does not have to be.  It's an example of where technology is and where Apple's commitment is not.  The Youtube videos are proof you can make wicked fast Macs -- and they are stable.

What Apple has done with this patronizing announcement is make a campaign promise years late. Reason? Hi-end users are not a big part of its revenue.  Don't buy into lip service like Rural America did last fall.  Question the Answer.  I'm sure even I am only scratching the surface. 
    williamlondonargonaut
  • Reply 73 of 198
    "The $3,999 model gains 8 cores and dual D800 graphics cards."

FALSE.  AI needs to think about what the words mean.  They meant to say that the $3,999 model gained 8 core configurability.  Also, this is pasted from the Apple Store: "
    Configurable to dual AMD FirePro D700, each with 6GB of GDDR5".  That's dual D700, not dual D800.  Not sure who's got the typo on that one, but when ordering online it's a D700 that's offered for an extra $600.
    edited April 2017 dysamoria
  • Reply 74 of 198
    You wouldn't have to admit you were wrong, if you listened to what your customers wanted in the first place.
    argonauttallest skildysamoria
  • Reply 75 of 198
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    avon b7 said:
    Two things to applaud. Communication and admitting they got the design wrong.
    Read it again. They bet on parallel processing in the GPUs, but the industry didn't move there. It's not so much as the "design" being wrong, as it the prediction of industry computing trends.
    Exactly.  Industrial designers at Apple don't make a decision like this. Jony Ive didn't wake up one day and decide the Mac Pro needed to look like a trash can.
    ration al
  • Reply 76 of 198

rfrmac said:
    Let me tell you what this shows me.  Apple has completely forgotten about the iMac, Mac Mini and Mac Pro lines for years.   When I read that something like this will not be ready until next year what else can one think?  We may get a new iMac in the Fall to Winter of this year.  Seeing is believing.  And announcements like this that are given just to try to hold the market.  But that has been it. What has Apple been doing for the last 3 now 4 years?  It certainly hasn't been doing desktop computers.  Tim? what have you been doing?  All we've heard from you is words when it comes to desktop computing.  You don't "love" the Mac.  The only reason you've started to do something now is because of competitive pressure and product linkage.  You've never really cared about the Mac users.  You're great at opening markets and distributor pipelines but you've failed miserable when it comes to computers.  The iPhone and things that hook to the iPhone are the only places I've seen an innovation in for years.  But who cares, I'm only one voice.  The  only reason many of us are still here is the operating system.  With all the billions and billions in the bank and you can't find any money for engineers and product people to really push the Mac to where it should be is a crying shame.
    Go read DF's detailed piece, he was in the room. They clearly told him iMacs this year, and they've bumping it up to cover more pro use cases because there are more pro iMac customers than MP customers. Let that soak in -- more pros are using iMacs than ever before, and way more than Mac Pros. Because they're awesome machines.
    ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 198

sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    So Apple is incapable of walking and chewing gun at the same time? How long does it take to design a tower that serves the market- we do not give a crap about styling. Take the Pre-Trashcan form factor and update it for the current market- that should take a small team little time.

A company as big and well heeled as Apple should be able to serve a select small market and waste gobs of money on crap like Animated Balloons on Text Messages and Facebook integration. Serving specialty markets is common in business all the time- you do not have to make a killing on every product line. The line should have been kept up to date all along and the Black Trashcan was a tragic mistake.

In Medicine, Hospitals and Clinics commonly offer necessary services that are break even at best because it is in the best interest of the customers. Mammography is a prime example- unless you do huge volume you will never make a dime providing the service, but it is done anyhow. Apple makes truckloads on iPhones and should be able to subsidize the high end pro market.
    Comparing Apple to a Hospital....................LOLOLOOLLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!
    I am comparing businesses. And BTW, one of the markets Apple abandoned was high end Radiology Workstations so you could have your Trashcan and Facebook integration. Pro Computers do more than edit video, compose complex music, or maintain large databases.

Apple is a business, a Hospital is a business, an Airline is a business, a Car Company is a business. Now you might want to fix your keyboard because it is either sticking on L, O and ! or you might want to grow up.
    Again comparing Apple to a Hospital.......................LOLOLOLOOLOLOOOLOLOOOLOLLOLOLOOOLLLOOL!!!!

I'm sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about if you think the business Apple runs is even comparable to a hospital.
    But Apple, IBM, etc. sell Macs and iDevices to hospitals, airlines... And apparently some Mac Pros and lots of maxed-out iMacs to IT in those businesses... if only for code development.

Irrelevant. The guy was trying to say Apple should subsidize poorly-selling product lines with its other business, in the same way that hospitals perform mammograms despite them not being profitable. Pretty hard to argue a PC maker should act as if it's treating cancer patients....it's absurd.
    ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 198
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    teapot360 said:
    Finally!

This is just a stop gap until the real upgrades.  The bad news this move just devalued all existing models for folks planning to sell and buy the real upgraded MacPros.

bluefire1
  • Reply 79 of 198

sog35 said:
    rfrmac said:
    Let me tell you what this shows me.  Apple has completely forgotten about the iMac, Mac Mini and Mac Pro lines for years.   When I read that something like this will not be ready until next year what else can one think?  We may get a new iMac in the Fall to Winter of this year.  Seeing is believing.  And announcements like this that are given just to try to hold the market.  But that has been it. What has Apple been doing for the last 3 now 4 years?  It certainly hasn't been doing desktop computers.  Tim? what have you been doing?  All we've heard from you is words when it comes to desktop computing.  You don't "love" the Mac.  The only reason you've started to do something now is because of competitive pressure and product linkage.  You've never really cared about the Mac users.  You're great at opening markets and distributor pipelines but you've failed miserable when it comes to computers.  The iPhone and things that hook to the iPhone are the only places I've seen an innovation in for years.  But who cares, I'm only one voice.  The  only reason many of us are still here is the operating system.  With all the billions and billions in the bank and you can't find any money for engineers and product people to really push the Mac to where it should be is a crying shame.
    The Mac is a DYING and SHRINKING platform. PERIOD. 

There is no way you can deny it.

Has Cook let the Mac line rot? Yes. And he had a good reason. Because the Mac is not the future. iPad/iPhone/Wearables are the future. So don't expect Apple to put large resources into the Mac. It just isn't worth it.

Its like investing big money into a cruise ship that is sinking. Facts are facts. Less and less people are using PC's everyday. 10 years from now PC use will be about half of what it was at peak PC. 

Yes, Apple is updating some Macs the next 2 years. But the only reason they are doing that is to ease the transition from Mac to iOS. In 10 years its pretty much undisputable that the Mac will be just like the iPod today.
    Wrong. Mac sales grew in 2016 and have been growing in general. From the people in the room (DF):

"My takeaway is that the Mac’s future is bright. Mac sales were up in 2016, once again outpacing the PC industry as a whole, and the new MacBook Pros are a hit, with sales up “about 20 percent” year over year. The Mac is a $25 billion business for Apple annually, and according to the company there are 100 million people in the active Mac user base worldwide.

Yes, those numbers are all peanuts compared to the iPhone, but everything is peanuts compared to the iPhone.

Ternus put it plainly: “Some of our most talented folks are working on [the Mac]. I mean, quite frankly, a lot of this company, if not most of this company, runs on Macs. This is a company full of pro Mac users.”"

http://daringfireball.net/2017/04/the_mac_pro_lives

edited April 2017 ration alwatto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 80 of 198
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    For me it's good new all around.    I've outgrown the iMac and want a Mac that will last years.  Waiting a year is better than not knowing if/when it's coming. 
    ration aldysamoria