NHL coaches provided with iPad Pros, Macs to gain edge during Stanley Cup Playoffs

Posted:
in iPad edited April 2017
Coaches in the NHL are going to be given more help in analyzing their team's performance during hockey matches, with the league reportedly providing iPad Pros to teams and officials in time for the start of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Three iPad Pros will be available to coaches on every bench, according to the Associated Press, with all 16 playoff arenas also said to have been provided with Macs for video coaching purposes. The new hardware is thought to have come from a collaboration with Apple, with the NHL and the iPad producer said to have been in late-stage talks about a partnership late last year.

Earlier in the season, coaches have been allowed to use video monitors on benches to analyze plays, and to help make decisions over whether or not to challenge officials over offside rulings and situations involving goaltender interference. A similar system was tested later in the season using iPads, streaming real-time video to teams on the bench.

Coaches have already found the use of such technology valuable, both for player feedback and for challenging decisions. This extra information will be even more useful during the Stanley Cup Playoffs, games which typically involve fewer goals, in turn making challenges a more important element of the game.

The ability to replay video has already had an effect in some games, with coaches able to highlight to officials the exact time of offside and interference instances shortly after they occurred.

David Lehanski, senior vice president of business development, global partnerships, and sponsorship sales for the NHL, advised the installation of the iPad-based system could have been completed much later, though it would still have been in time for the start of next season.

"It's equal parts of us believing this truly will help the coaches and the officials and we're going to make decisions faster and more accurately and all those things," Lehanski said. "It gives us an opportunity to get a lot of feedback in from everyone who's going to be involved from a playoff standpoint, and then make some refinements and enhancements leading into next season for a full league-wide deployment."

During the late-stage negotiations, it was believed the NHL was seeking a contract from Apple worth at least $5 million per year for using iPads, using it as a similar income stream to the league as the Microsoft sponsorship of the National Football League, which saw Microsoft Surface tablets used on the field. At the time, a source suggested the NHL-Apple deal was more a "major partnership" than a sponsorship, suggesting the NHL wanted "a consistent platform that every team can use in every rink."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Do people really tend to buy what their favorite team uses? Apple! The Official Tablet of the NHL! Really?
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 2 of 10
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    lkrupp said:
    Do people really tend to buy what their favorite team uses? Apple! The Official Tablet of the NHL! Really?
    I don't know if that works. Ad's in general must work as they've been used to pay for things for many years now. Maybe more subconsciously then anything else. As for Apple paying 5 million a year to use their stuff? Maybe that's a bargain, but normally Apple doesn't pay people to use their stuff. So it seems a little strange. Hockey seems like a weak sport to get into. Microsoft has Football, why not Baseball? There's far, far more baseball games going on. That means in the faces of far, far more people. Or are they already using something? I don't really even watch sports.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    Maybe using iPads will speed up the ridiculous offside challenges that no fan wanted in the game in the first place. Not likely though. 
  • Reply 4 of 10
    IanSIanS Posts: 41member
    One more reason that Hockey is better than Football. :-)
  • Reply 5 of 10
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    I think the part that really makes me chuckle is when I see the crowd shots in the arena where people - people that likely paid $100+ for a ticket just to get in - are fiddling with their phone during the game. 

• Reply 6 of 10
    Is this to that the NHL teams can do some twitter posts during matches? 

• Reply 7 of 10
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    lkrupp said:
    Companies pay an awful lot of money to be "the official sponsor of......".  Think how much they pay for NFL sponsorships or the Olympics - we can be talking about millions of dollars for a spot and tens to even hundreds of millions of dollars for sponsorships.   So they must feel it works.   It's not that you see a hockey coach using an iPad and you go out the next day and buy one, but it's one more impression and it's the sum of impressions that cause people to choose a brand.    If one thinks even on a subconscious level, "everyone I care about is using X", then they usually also want to use X, providing one can relate to the people already using X, except for people who purposely want to buck trends and do the opposite.

Although I've used Apple products since almost the beginning of Apple, when I pass a hip coffee shop and everyone inside is using a Mac or when I walk around a WeWork shared office space facility and see 75% of the (fashionable) people using Macs, that definitely leaves an impression.   For someone who cares about sports, seeing coaches using Apple products can leave a similar impression.   This isn't so much about creating a need that isn't there - it's about brand choice.    
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 8 of 10
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    PS thats a really old picture for the article. Bylsma hasn't been the coach in quite awhile :)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    zoetmb said:
    lkrupp said:
    Companies pay an awful lot of money to be "the official sponsor of......".  Think how much they pay for NFL sponsorships or the Olympics - we can be talking about millions of dollars for a spot and tens to even hundreds of millions of dollars for sponsorships.   So they must feel it works.   It's not that you see a hockey coach using an iPad and you go out the next day and buy one, but it's one more impression and it's the sum of impressions that cause people to choose a brand.    If one thinks even on a subconscious level, "everyone I care about is using X", then they usually also want to use X, providing one can relate to the people already using X, except for people who purposely want to buck trends and do the opposite.

Although I've used Apple products since almost the beginning of Apple, when I pass a hip coffee shop and everyone inside is using a Mac or when I walk around a WeWork shared office space facility and see 75% of the (fashionable) people using Macs, that definitely leaves an impression.   For someone who cares about sports, seeing coaches using Apple products can leave a similar impression.   This isn't so much about creating a need that isn't there - it's about brand choice.    
    I agree. The link between seeing ones favourite team use an Apple product and choosing an Apple product oneself isn't a direct one but brand awareness and positive brand association is important. Advertising effectiveness is measured to death so if Apple or other companies are prepared to spend big buck we can assume it pays off. Apart from suggesting that the top teams use Apple products the deal also prevents the impression that the top teams use Samsung, or whatever.
  • Reply 10 of 10

Been a hockey fan for years...  Attended my first game almost 70 years ago -- my Dad's best man, Earl Bartholome, was a pro player for The Minneapolis Millers triple A team -- had rink-side seats for most home games & met most of the players.  IMO, this NHL is a good deal...  Apple branding to a loyal audience that has money to spending...

In the early days, the cameras and TV screen resolution made it very difficult to follow the puck unless you were in the arena.

Today's game telecasts are better than box seats!  You can easily follow the puck, and get an overall view of the ice to see plays develop.

Now, what about soccer -- same game as hockey -- every thing is bigger -- including the audience.

Go Earl -- Go Sharks -- Go Quakes -- Go Apple!

edited April 2017